Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2022, 02:00 PM   #81
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
You may well be right. I guess it just depends on the set up. My 250 has the higher rating 14500 chassis which gives me quite a bit of play. I'd have to do the calcs on what weight could be ditched and the weight of batteries (which will be key). I hold out some hope that new battery tech will come along sooner than one might think and that would be a game changer for a retro-fit.

Out in the real world, Rivian, Arrival and the like will manufacture lightweight EVs on skate chassis that would be far more practical. It will only be a matter of time before there is some disruption and a new player builds a cracking class C EV Motohome.

GM estimates the Hummer pickup will go up to 350 miles, but with a massive battery in a 9,200-pound beast carrying all kinds of off-roading hardware, it’s difficult to gauge just how efficient it really is. Not sure on the battery weight. This has a 24 module pack but the modules only weigh about 3lbs - that can't be right, can it?? https://www.mining.com/web/gms-ultiu...ic-range-race/

We'll see. Let's try and catch a game this year; it's been ages. COYI.
I fear the weight of the chassis is 'significant' (more than the engine/transmission itself) but I would not ignore the fact that 'the Chinese are coming' to the EV conversion market......

For example there are already direct EV replacements for dually axles.

One things for sure, we have a ton of space for batteries, just means we are carrying more weight with more batteries.
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:27 PM   #82
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Wouldn't the weight of the batteries be offset by the loss of the weight of the fuel, engine and transmission? At least to a large degree?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:48 PM   #83
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Wouldn't the weight of the batteries be offset by the loss of the weight of the fuel, engine and transmission? At least to a large degree?
Unlikely IMO. Batteries are heavier. If we want to optimize for batteries, we end up with things like structural battery packs, so that the chassis can be lighter. Not likely with a retrofit.

With a motorhome, the issue isn't just going to be weight, but more so aerodynamics, or the lack thereof.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #84
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Yes, and that is what happens in a typical EV conversation, they come out weight neutral.

The issue with something like a classic is you need a lot more batteries than the weight save, and unlike (for example) a passenger bus conversion, we want to drive at highway speeds.

Thats why companies like arrival already have 'flat front' delivery vans are more aerodynamic designs for higher speed use.

To Nicks point we already have EV motorhomes based on the little eNV200, and now the modern version of a classic VW T2, but even the ID Buzz is not a Transporter (VW themselves say it will be another 5 years before the T7 'heavy' becomes an EV. So the first 'proper' EV motorhomes are likely to be upfitted Ford Transit's (the current EV Sprinter is woeful - 100mile range, 30mph uphill under load)

My hope is the Arrival 'skates' become available to drop classic bodies onto....for example I know where there is a complete (at least until, Brad starts parting out) 24ft sitting ripe for a swap!

Old 01-22-2023, 10:40 AM   #85
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Heard a couple of companies are working on EV conversion kits for P30 chassis, specifically for vintage motorhomes.

The trigger appears to be the EV West Revolt kit that takes a complete Tesla large motor (including the inverter) and rotates it 90 degrees to drive the standard drive shaft. This was developed for the collector car market.

Even bolts onto the standard engine mounts.

The challenge is re-packaging the Tesla battery packs to stack along the chassis
Old 01-30-2023, 12:49 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Heard a couple of companies are working on EV conversion kits for P30 chassis, specifically for vintage motorhomes.

The trigger appears to be the EV West Revolt kit that takes a complete Tesla large motor (including the inverter) and rotates it 90 degrees to drive the standard drive shaft. This was developed for the collector car market.

Even bolts onto the standard engine mounts.

The challenge is re-packaging the Tesla battery packs to stack along the chassis
That's actually pretty cool looking
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:11 PM   #87
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Could be a new career Brad.....all the electronics are high voltage (which no one wants to touch) or CAN, with all the drive characteristics end user configurable via the CAN parameters.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:31 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Could be a new career Brad.....all the electronics are high voltage (which no one wants to touch) or CAN, with all the drive characteristics end user configurable via the CAN parameters.

Most wise techno folk studiously avoid touching high voltage…it’s too easy to ‘light up your life’ in a bad way…(grin).
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:35 AM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
It's now been over 2 years since all of these supposed crate motors have been announced, still none (realistically) available. The above tesla converted motor is 30k, without batteries. GM crate motor is still vapor ware. Ford's mach-e setup is a transverse making it a non-starter for any RWD unless you want to completely replace the rear suspension and do a ton of fab work. As soon as a sub 10k drop in setup comes along (even excluding batteries) I'll do a conversion on one of my classic cars - my old land rover is ripe for an EV conversion. But they either require you to completely strip out the entire drivetrain and do massive amounts of fabrication, or are wildly expensive just for the motor and controller. An option for a 4x4 could exist with the mach-e setup putting it in the center and having it drive both the front and rear axles, but that also requires a ton of fab. I think we're still 5 years out from any kind of realistic retrofit.

That said, given the space in a motorhome, you could add 300-400kw of batteries and given the low compression tractor motors put in the classics from the factories, almost any of these solutions would be a massive upgrade. Then plug in 50A for a couple of days at the campground and recharge.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:55 PM   #90
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
It's now been over 2 years since all of these supposed crate motors have been announced, still none (realistically) available. The above tesla converted motor is 30k, without batteries. GM crate motor is still vapor ware. Ford's mach-e setup is a transverse making it a non-starter for any RWD unless you want to completely replace the rear suspension and do a ton of fab work. As soon as a sub 10k drop in setup comes along (even excluding batteries) I'll do a conversion on one of my classic cars - my old land rover is ripe for an EV conversion. But they either require you to completely strip out the entire drivetrain and do massive amounts of fabrication, or are wildly expensive just for the motor and controller. An option for a 4x4 could exist with the mach-e setup putting it in the center and having it drive both the front and rear axles, but that also requires a ton of fab. I think we're still 5 years out from any kind of realistic retrofit.

That said, given the space in a motorhome, you could add 300-400kw of batteries and given the low compression tractor motors put in the classics from the factories, almost any of these solutions would be a massive upgrade. Then plug in 50A for a couple of days at the campground and recharge.
There are several bolt in kits for the Land Rover......

Old 01-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Nope, not looking for a new career

I'm just about done with my current career and have no desire in trying to start a new one
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:05 AM   #92
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Seems I've missed a piece of news......

It had been claimed EV West development the Revolt, but now the reVolt CR-43 actually has its own separate vendor Revolt Systems (https://revoltsystems.com/)

Here is the specs on the motor

Rated Power: 350-450 kW

Torque: 800+ [lb-ft] at the yoke

RPM: 8000 max at the yoke

Current: 1000 Amps

Weight: 300 Lbs

Input Voltage: 275-400 Volts

Length: 43" Inches

Width: 13.5"

Height: 15”

An immediate 800ftlb torque!
Old 02-02-2023, 08:23 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
There are several bolt in kits for the Land Rover......

As soon as a sub $10k kit (not including batteries) is available, I'll do it. Those are WAY more than $10k, unfortunately, which was what my whole post was about. They're either way too expensive or require way too much fabrication (or both) to be anywhere near practical. The conversion you posted starts at 30k pounds for sub 100 mile range (granted, includes battery, but still nowhere near cost effective). The Ford setup is the closest tbh, I think it could be done in a longer 4x4, but would still require a lot of fabrication.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:41 AM   #94
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
As soon as a sub $10k kit (not including batteries) is available, I'll do it. Those are WAY more than $10k, unfortunately, which was what my whole post was about. They're either way too expensive or require way too much fabrication (or both) to be anywhere near practical. The conversion you posted starts at 30k pounds for sub 100 mile range (granted, includes battery, but still nowhere near cost effective). The Ford setup is the closest tbh, I think it could be done in a longer 4x4, but would still require a lot of fabrication.
Realistically there is zero chance of any of these kits ever coming in at under $10K.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:27 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Without batteries it should be doable. The ford eluminator is under $4k. Unfortunately, it's transverse and not longitudinal or I'd already have one. The batteries should be the expensive part, but for example the Tesla longitudinal kits are 30k before batteries. That's crazy money when 18k gets you a hellcat crate motor. The GM kit would be almost drop in for these old motorhomes but it's been silent on that front for two years. I have two cars I'd be looking to swap to electric when it's somewhat practical... We're just not there yet.