Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #41
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Lots of developments for faster charging. The Megawatt Charging System (MCS) seems to be gaining pace as a standard.

The Megawatt Charging System (MCS) is a charging connector under development for large battery electric vehicles. The connector will be rated for charging at up to 4.5 megawatts (3,000 amps at 1,500 volts) direct current (DC). The MCS connector is expected to be the worldwide standard charging connector for large and medium commercial vehicles.

'The aim of the MCS group was to figure out how to do ultra high-power charging so that you could charge a very large semi within half an hour.'

https://electricautonomy.ca/2020/10/...cial-vehicles/
https://www.automotiveworld.com/arti...-power-sector/
Last time I checked (in the UK) we have a maximum 240v 200amp cable to each domestic installation. You can have as many fancy connectors as you want but there is neither the domestic nor regular commercial infrastructure to support it. No good having a vehicle capability but all you can do at home is a enough charge to make it to the local fast charge service center.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Last time I checked (in the UK) we have a maximum 240v 200amp cable to each domestic installation. You can have as many fancy connectors as you want but there is neither the domestic nor regular commercial infrastructure to support it. No good having a vehicle capability but all you can do at home is a enough charge to make it to the local fast charge service center.

That’s pretty standard in the US as well, although many homes only have 100A service, which is the minimum allowed by the electric code. 200A at 240V is 48 kW, so you have a good amount to work with and a car charges reasonably quickly on a typical home charger plug. It’s not like a fast charge station, but you really don’t need it to be at home. Several hours to charge at home is fine. The easiest method is to just charge overnight. That helps address some of the power grid issues as well, since most places have excess capacity at night (currently at least).
Some EVs even have wireless charging, so it charges anytime you’re parked in your garage. As long as your daily driving habits are within the range of your car, refueling becomes a thing of the past that you never have to think about.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
2022 Ford E-Transit van

Coming soon a new 2022 Ford E-Transit van, with the largest public charging network in North America?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...-a-206062.html

Recent post: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ml#post2479566

Interesting.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Those superfast DC chargers will be at service stations etc. As you say, not practical for domestic use. However, it's feasible to get a 400v/3 phase supply into domestic properties running 22Kw@16 amps, possibly 32 amps moderated. It may also be feasible to fast charge via DC from home storage batteries etc, but I'm not clear about what is/will be available.

My strong suspicion is that gas and hydrogen won't figure in the long term in the UK, aside from niche applications. Full electrification is the way to go, especially with UK windpower, but obv not without its (major) challenges....like getting rid of a gas boiler and uprating the supply in every home. Roll on 2050. LOL.
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
I think they're targeting commercial applications, like long haul semis. 4.5 megawatt hours is nearly 2 orders of magnitude the current average electric vehicle capacity, nobody will need a tesla with a 50,000 mile range per charge
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #46
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Those superfast DC chargers will be at service stations etc. As you say, not practical for domestic use. However, it's feasible to get a 400v/3 phase supply into domestic properties running 22Kw@16 amps, possibly 32 amps moderated. It may also be feasible to fast charge via DC from home storage batteries etc, but I'm not clear about what is/will be available.

My strong suspicion is that gas and hydrogen won't figure in the long term in the UK, aside from niche applications. Full electrification is the way to go, especially with UK windpower, but obv not without its (major) challenges....like getting rid of a gas boiler and uprating the supply in every home. Roll on 2050. LOL.
I think the bigger issue in the UK is the number (majority?) of cars that have to park using on-street parking away from the owners homes - or maybe that is the plan? If you live in a city/town without off-street parking you simply can't own a car and have to rely on car-share/public transport.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #47
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
PS The local windfarm already provides enough power for the town where I live (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentis...hore_Wind_Farm) and we have a solar farm about 800 yds away (https://electricityproduction.uk/plant/GBR0002367/), so if we claim independence from the rest of the UK we could be energy Czars
Old 04-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Although I am not sure how it'd get connected, most new construction I have seen has 2- 200a panels being pulled to the houses nowadays, so having 400a is starting to become more and more the norm. Each panel has it's own 2- 120v hot buses and a neutral.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:13 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
PS The local windfarm already provides enough power for the town where I live (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentis...hore_Wind_Farm) and we have a solar farm about 800 yds away (https://electricityproduction.uk/plant/GBR0002367/), so if we claim independence from the rest of the UK we could be energy Czars
Youse lot and Scotland. Seriously, I predict the break up of the UK within the next decade.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet18 View Post
i think they're targeting commercial applications, like long haul semis. 4.5 megawatt hours is nearly 2 orders of magnitude the current average electric vehicle capacity, nobody will need a tesla with a 50,000 mile range per charge
i do!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Small steps

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/22/...ter-el-camino/
Old 12-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Even though house service can only draw 200 Amps, one could easily envision having a Tesla or SOB “standby generator” made of stacks of lithium batteries. You could charge you EV with both the standby battery packs and the grid. In this way, you could draw more power (temporarily) to the recharge the EV quicker than the grid alone. Another option is quick swappable battery packs. Pull up to the “gas” station, swap out the packs, gone. Imagine an F1 pit stop swapping batteries, not pouring petrol.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 03:35 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
24 December 2021 at 14:00
By: Dan Mihalascu
Published by: Brian Potter
General Motors recently announced its strategy to offer EV technology beyond its own vehicle portfolio.

GM’s electrification components will be applied to EV conversion projects, commercial equipment, marine applications, and more.

To get a big slice of that market, GM will begin introducing various EV component sets in four key areas: Chevy Performance and Aftermarket, GM Powered Solutions, Ground Support Equipment, and Marine Propulsion.

One of those component sets is the coming Electric Connect and Cruise eCrate Package. Customers work with installers through GM’s electric specialty vehicle modifier (eSVM) program to have engines in older vehicles replaced with an electric propulsion system. Pricing details weren't released Wednesday.

GM’s concept vehicles for this program included the E-10 pickup, K-5 Blazer-E, eCOPO Camaro, and Project X built in collaboration with Cagnazzi Racing’s eCrate Solutions Group.

An electrified 1972 El Camino SS, developed with Lingenfelter Performance Engineering in Brighton, Michigan, was the first independent installation of the concept eCrate package.

The automaker's GM Powered Solutions is also expanding its reach with new electric component offerings for companies to consider alternative powertrains. GM Powered Solutions is a division within GM that works with businesses that require custom, large-volume power solutions for marine, on-road, off-road and industrial applications.

For more than a century,* GM Powered Solutions has provided propulsion equipment to companies in both automotive and nonautomotive markets. Now, we’re looking to the future. The new vision for the road ahead? Embracing all of the possibilities of electrification. GM Powered Solutions is excited to expand our portfolio with new electric offerings to help businesses considering alternative powertrain solutions. Working closely with our integrators, we're actively exploring new products with the goal of helping businesses move seamlessly into the electric space.

GM continues to have high aspirations for bringing electric technology to its full potential. By using a double-stack electronic motor as an alternative to the original gas engine in a 1962 C-10 pickup truck (the “E-10,” as this concept vehicle was titled), it was discovered that electrification could not only create a new, cutting-edge vehicle, but could be used to transform vintage vehicles as well. Currently, we have our sights set on a pilot project involving electric conversions for airport ground support equipment—transforming the technology used in electric vehicles for use in nonvehicle machinery like baggage tractors and belt loaders.

The bottom line? Electric technology can work for a range of applications—for passenger vehicles and beyond-opening up an entirely new realm of possibilities for your business.
https://poweredsolutions.gm.com/prod...ectrification/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	general-motors-strategy-to-expand-electrification.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	409739  
Old 12-25-2021, 04:00 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Momentum

https://carbuzz.com/news/sold-out-fo...is-a-smash-hit

Sold Out! Ford's Eluminator E-Crate Motor Is A Smash Hit

Ford is definitely on to something. Not only was its 1978 F-100-based Eluminator Concept pickup truck a smash hit at last week's SEMA Show in Las Vegas, but so is what's under the hood. According to Mark Wilson, director of Ford Accessories, the Eluminator EV crate motor from Ford Performance Parts is sold out.

Fortunately, the era of the EV crate motor is only beginning. "We'll make as many as we need to, as the market demands," Wilson said. Priced at just $3,900, the e-crate motor, part No. M-9000-MACH-E, has a total of 281 horsepower and 317 lb-ft of torque. And yes, it's legal in all 50 states.
Ford managed to pack two of them in the Eluminator truck itself for a grand total of 480 hp and 634 lb-ft of twist. Thanks to its compact size (just 22.5 inches in length), it's totally possible for two to fit in a vehicle, one for each axle. This is the same motor that powers the already on sale Mustang Mach-E GT.

There's been a great deal of hype on social media about the F-100 Eluminator itself as it represents endless possibilities for custom builds. Taking a vintage vehicle and turning it into an EV could very well be the next big thing for restomods.
Old 12-25-2021, 04:27 AM   #55
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
https://carbuzz.com/news/sold-out-fo...is-a-smash-hit

Sold Out! Ford's Eluminator E-Crate Motor Is A Smash Hit

Ford is definitely on to something. Not only was its 1978 F-100-based Eluminator Concept pickup truck a smash hit at last week's SEMA Show in Las Vegas, but so is what's under the hood. According to Mark Wilson, director of Ford Accessories, the Eluminator EV crate motor from Ford Performance Parts is sold out.

Fortunately, the era of the EV crate motor is only beginning. "We'll make as many as we need to, as the market demands," Wilson said. Priced at just $3,900, the e-crate motor, part No. M-9000-MACH-E, has a total of 281 horsepower and 317 lb-ft of torque. And yes, it's legal in all 50 states.
Ford managed to pack two of them in the Eluminator truck itself for a grand total of 480 hp and 634 lb-ft of twist. Thanks to its compact size (just 22.5 inches in length), it's totally possible for two to fit in a vehicle, one for each axle. This is the same motor that powers the already on sale Mustang Mach-E GT.

There's been a great deal of hype on social media about the F-100 Eluminator itself as it represents endless possibilities for custom builds. Taking a vintage vehicle and turning it into an EV could very well be the next big thing for restomods.
The challenge is not the motor (that e-crate motor is a 20 year old design re-packaged). The issue is the battery capacity to make it useful, and the fact that battery adds weight, then then needs more battery, it is an exponential decay curve!

The e-crate solution works great in collector cars that typical do journeys of less than 100miles.
Old 12-25-2021, 05:45 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
The challenge is not the motor (that e-crate motor is a 20 year old design re-packaged). The issue is the battery capacity to make it useful, and the fact that battery adds weight, then then needs more battery, it is an exponential decay curve!

The e-crate solution works great in collector cars that typical do journeys of less than 100miles.
Quite possibly, but I'd like to see the calculations once everything is taken out. My 250 is carrying far less weight than the 350 on the same frame. Granted, weight distribution is a big consideration, but so are battery tech developments. I suspect this thread will be running in 5-10 years' time, but there will have been lots of advancements in a decade. I'll wager you a tenner vs, a free ticket to a Hammers if I am wrong Maybe we'll all be on hydrogen or in new lightweight campers designed for EV like Nissan's EV concepts. https://jalopnik.com/nissan-is-playi...van-1848264985

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43320/...-cross-country

Instagram user and Rivian employee @gideontherivian has been chronicling their trip in an R1T from Detroit to Los Angeles. Along the way, they've heavily relied on DC fast-chargers, often Electrify America stations at Walmart and Sam's Club. They've been towing their Ford Shelby Mustang GT on a twin-axle trailer, which coupled with the truck itself pushes the Rivian's gross vehicle weight to 14,260 pounds. Despite all that mass, the owner reports commendable performance from their truck, saying it's quiet, comfortable, highly resistant to trailer sway, and plenty powerful. It does everything anyone could want of a tow pig—save for traveling long distances without needing to stop.
Rivian told us when we drove a (marvelous) pre-production R1T to expect towing to drag down the truck's estimated 314-mile range by 20 to 40 percent. According to the automaker, a trailer's weight is less consequential than its aerodynamic drag. As the owner says they're not charging far past 80 percent to hasten recharges (which slow above that mark) and preserve the battery, and taking it no lower than a 16 percent charge, that means they're using no more than 64 percent of its charge. Multiply those decimals together and they suggest the R1T with a trailer in tow is sustaining 121 to 161 miles per 64-percent charge. Maximum range with that trailer, then, would appear to top out between 188 and 251 miles.

PS Merry Christmas to everyone.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #57
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Quite possibly, but I'd like to see the calculations once everything is taken out. My 250 is carrying far less weight than the 350 on the same frame. Granted, weight distribution is a big consideration, but so are battery tech developments. I suspect this thread will be running in 5-10 years' time, but there will have been lots of advancements in a decade. I'll wager you a tenner vs, a free ticket to a Hammers if I am wrong Maybe we'll all be on hydrogen or in new lightweight campers designed for EV like Nissan's EV concepts. https://jalopnik.com/nissan-is-playi...van-1848264985

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43320/...-cross-country

Instagram user and Rivian employee @gideontherivian has been chronicling their trip in an R1T from Detroit to Los Angeles. Along the way, they've heavily relied on DC fast-chargers, often Electrify America stations at Walmart and Sam's Club. They've been towing their Ford Shelby Mustang GT on a twin-axle trailer, which coupled with the truck itself pushes the Rivian's gross vehicle weight to 14,260 pounds. Despite all that mass, the owner reports commendable performance from their truck, saying it's quiet, comfortable, highly resistant to trailer sway, and plenty powerful. It does everything anyone could want of a tow pig—save for traveling long distances without needing to stop.
Rivian told us when we drove a (marvelous) pre-production R1T to expect towing to drag down the truck's estimated 314-mile range by 20 to 40 percent. According to the automaker, a trailer's weight is less consequential than its aerodynamic drag. As the owner says they're not charging far past 80 percent to hasten recharges (which slow above that mark) and preserve the battery, and taking it no lower than a 16 percent charge, that means they're using no more than 64 percent of its charge. Multiply those decimals together and they suggest the R1T with a trailer in tow is sustaining 121 to 161 miles per 64-percent charge. Maximum range with that trailer, then, would appear to top out between 188 and 251 miles.

PS Merry Christmas to everyone.
I dont doubt it Nick, and when they release aftermarket 'skates' (chassis with e-motors and battery packs), to drop our (reasonable) lightweight bodies onto then we will make progress. The issue with electrification of the P-30/P-32 chassis is the P-30/P-32 chassis!
Old 08-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #58
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
First of the 'ground up' BEV panel vans with a reasonable range hits the market

1750kg payload would easily up-fit as a B-van.

Now things are going to be interesting
Old 08-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
That’s pretty standard in the US as well, although many homes only have 100A service, which is the minimum allowed by the electric code. 200A at 240V is 48 kW, so you have a good amount to work with and a car charges reasonably quickly on a typical home charger plug. It’s not like a fast charge station, but you really don’t need it to be at home. Several hours to charge at home is fine. The easiest method is to just charge overnight. That helps address some of the power grid issues as well, since most places have excess capacity at night (currently at least).
Some EVs even have wireless charging, so it charges anytime you’re parked in your garage. As long as your daily driving habits are within the range of your car, refueling becomes a thing of the past that you never have to think about.
There are a lot of older homes in the USA with astonishingly small electrical service capacity.

My grandparents on my father's side had a 30amp service and from the point the home first received electrical service until the home was purchased and torn down to make way for a Bank a few years ago, the electrical service was only 30amps.

For comparison, mother currently has a 60 amp service to her home.

Before 1950, 30amp service was the norm and usually only provided 120v to the home (no 240v appliances).

Between 1950 and 1965, the most common electrical service was 60amp. My Mom's house was built in the mid 1950's, has a 60amp service and only supports one 240v circuit for a clothes dryer.

Sometime in the late 1960's, the circuit breaker panel as we know and love today came onto the scene, using resettable breakers instead of fuses. The service was spec'ed at 100A minimum and new, larger wires were needed between the neighborhood transformers and the home if the home was being upgraded from 30amp or 60amp service.

Don't believe me? Here is one reference. It is easy to find others:

https://www.thespruce.com/service-pa...-1900s-1152732
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #60
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
There are a lot of older homes in the USA with astonishingly small electrical service capacity.

My grandparents on my father's side had a 30amp service and from the point the home first received electrical service until the home was purchased and torn down to make way for a Bank a few years ago, the electrical service was only 30amps.

For comparison, mother currently has a 60 amp service to her home.

Before 1950, 30amp service was the norm and usually only provided 120v to the home (no 240v appliances).

Between 1950 and 1965, the most common electrical service was 60amp. My Mom's house was built in the mid 1950's, has a 60amp service and only supports one 240v circuit for a clothes dryer.

Sometime in the late 1960's, the circuit breaker panel as we know and love today came onto the scene, using resettable breakers instead of fuses. The service was spec'ed at 100A minimum and new, larger wires were needed between the neighborhood transformers and the home if the home was being upgraded from 30amp or 60amp service.

Don't believe me? Here is one reference. It is easy to find others:

https://www.thespruce.com/service-pa...-1900s-1152732

Not sure what this has to do with EV replacing ICE?

In the UK we are currently paying near $12 a gallon and folks are having the stop using vehicles because they can’t afford them.

Not having access to recharge an EV will not be a reason to keep ICE, it’s a reason to not have a vehicle when all new vehicles are EV of some form.