Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
Europe shipping cost

How much would it cost to ship my Argosy 26 from Oakland CA to England?
My wife Virginia and I are considering an extensive vacation and wouldn't it be fun to have your own MH.
al
alhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
2023 25' International
Houston , Texas
look here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f347...ope-73177.html ; why not try out Canada first, much easier, granted, not Europe.
veratipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Shipping Rv

Hey
A number of years ago, I sold my 345 to a couple in Italy. From Florida to Italy cost them 8000 oo dollars. Be sure you remove stuff that can be removed. When they got the unit, the clock was gone. That was an Airstream clock. Who would take such a thing and for what gain. Except, that it was easy to grab. People are weird.
Also, the roads over there are not like here. That s a big unit to be bumming around in. I think fuel is a little more expensive than in the states.
Consider a breakdown. A transmission problem comes to my mind. Not to many turbo 425 s to be found around there I d really think about that one. I can fix anything on my 325, but these units are 30 years old. Unless you ve gone through everything, I wouldn't do it.
I bought an estate saled 325. Last spring. 5420 on this unit. 5000 miles. Fuel lines hard as a rock, break lines cracked, I got almost 8 thousand dollars in parts and little things. In this beast. I'm not done yet. It has not left my driveway. Runs like a top now. Hopefully, we ll be able to go RVing this summer.
Good luck to you. If get to the cliffs of Moore, have a shot of baileys and say hi to my brother. We took his ashes there, by request. It s a beautifull place.
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I paid far less ten years ago - circa 3k from memory. Cheapest is roll on roll off out of Galveston. K line if they are still about. PM me if you need further info.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Just to add, in my view, the shorter rigs are ideal for Europe. We've travelled extensively around Europe and found it straightforward. I can offer advice on travel in Europe and the best places to get insurance and roadside support.

Of course, we can also share our favourite sites. We like independent sites but this mob https://europe.huttopia.com/en/
have some great sites in France. We shall spend a week here http://cdn.campinglecapeyrou.com/upl...e-capeyrou.pdf
A lovely site, fireworks over the castle on some public holidays. I can honestly say that our best family memories have been spent travelling in the UK and Europe, plus it is still relatively cheap.

Boone voyages.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I shall have a go at putting together a list of service departments for the UK. Obviously, we have nowhere near the number of reputable service garages over here, but we have a significant number of RVs and American vehicles. It's also worth noting that the 4L80e trans was used in both Aston Martins and Jaguars, so the expertise does exist, although one needs to do the homework to find out where to go. There is an American Motorhome owners club in the UK and it would probably be worth joining that if you ever seriously considered this (ad) venture.

Nick
Old 05-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
You get charged per foot and by weight....Bella (20ft, 6850lb) was $2695 last September. However that doesn't include any insurance (and your regular insurance probably doesn't cover you at sea), and marine insurance is 2% of declared value with a $1000 deductible, or import duties. If you leave within 6 months there should not be any duties, and you can drive on your US plates (providing the state inspection is valid), however you may need to leave a deposit. Also you regular insurance probably wont be valid in the UK/provide cover, so you will need a dedicated policy which you can get based on the VIN/value. Although US motorhomes are not common, shops servicing motorhomes are, so most auto shops will have a 7.5tonne lift and my experience is getting a motorhome up in the air and easier to work on is a lot more straightforward in the UK than the US, where truck shops don't want to touch motorhome and car shops often can't. For example the shop that services our little Mercedes A class, is walking distance from my house and has a lift, and happy to put, Bella up in the air!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Vernon , EU
The best solution for transport to the EU is from Galveston to Zeebruge in Belgium. This will be the cheapest way to go to england. From belgium, you will have to come and take the tunnel under the see (eurotunnel) from Calais in France. The price of Galveston a Zeebruge is about 3000 d
Steph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
The price of petrol from Belgium to England is about 5000 dollars......only joking. Steph is probably correct. You also stand less chance of theft damage if you go via Zeebrugge, although it's more hassle if you are heading for SW England