Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
GeoPhil does it over heat ? I am really curriouse
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Sorry about that.

Mustang,

Yes it does. When the vehicle is hot, The only way to restart is to bring all three batteries to bear.

I hope to say that it did. I have put in a remote starter solenoid and a heat shield on the starter. I am awaiting new plug wires because the old ones are too close to the new headers I just put on. Once they come in I can start it up and see.

I don't care how much "engineering" some companies put into things, they make mistakes. I usually think of the movie "Sleeper" with Wodie Allen when the robot makes the new suit.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Good luck Geo
Old 08-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Two more cents!

For what it is worth - headers will make the problem even worse!

Answer - gear reduction ministarter - again - Jegs or Summit Racing.

These little buggers look pricey I know - but it will end the problem for good when used with my suggestion of the heatshield and solenoid.

Additionally, for what it is worth - the ministarter may be $300.00 but a factory new (GM) starter will run close to this.

Nothing against auto parts stores but I hold a very low regard for an AutoZone starter. Lifetime guarantee sure - but what does that translate into - "as many times as you want to do the labor, we will replace it" .

Do it once and do it right!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
You could wrap it with that DEI tape also for a heat barrier. It is still just so hard to fathom. I do like those mini starters they draw so little ampres. Sometimes I see them on the Summit Rack. I live right by summit. (Summit Rack= scratch and dent sale) I agree with twilight zones parts axle
Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Right on!

Good call Mustang - as you stated - the tape would also help!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Axleman,

I have tried to replace the starter, but that has sure been a trip. I could not get the new one (from Summit) to shim up properly. Most likely some shortcoming of the installer.

I am going to see how the new setup works before I try a new starter again.

Mustang,

Thanks.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Since the problem changed from the grinding & other noise to "nothing happens" I wonder if you have checked for corrosion on the chassis battery. A poor connection and heat will cause this problem. I found out the hard way after trying lots of stuff turned out the battery connection was corroded but didn't look bad the problem only happened when it was hot. One other thing to check is the ground from the engine to the chassis could cause the same problem.

I also suffered the heat on the starter problem but if I remember you can hear the solenoid try to engage but the starter won't turn over.

Not sure but less expensive than a Summit starter would be a NAPA hi torx starter that is about half the size of the original. I replaced one with a starter for a 1996 GM for around $140. Can't remember the 1996 vehicle the GM starter was for bu think I was a Corvette.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #29
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
There's a simple possibility that is often overlooked - the shift level has a lockout switch to prevent engaging the starter when not in N or P. If that switch isn't closed you get ... nothing! Next time you get nothing, try moving the shift lever . Heat can change the position of the contacts by expanding metal, so it could happen only when hot. Anyway, good luck with it.
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Good points!

I have to agree with jking/garry! Good points guys!

NAPA parts are far better than Autozone in my experience. However GM parts have worked even better than NAPA for me.
I too, like Mustang, do a bit of dragracing and that can test some parts. It also makes makes you keep searching for a better mousetrap.

I have learned a lot from this thread. It's pretty cool to see all of the different ways that folks have solved/fixed the same problem.

Have a great weekend all,
Henry
Old 08-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Revisit a thread from early 2004

Lots of questions answered here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...noid-4748.html

and one with pictures from 2003 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...hlight=starter

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I wouold like to add, Start simple, and work your way in. It saves time and money in the long run. Look at the first symptoms, what you have changed, then ask youreslf if the sympotoms have changed? I keep a running notebook on my stuff, Dates changes ect. Superduty for warranty issues. Mustang for time alltitude and weather issues. other things for warranty and replacement issues. Start a time line. keep an open mind. use a volt meter or a circuit light. Never forget safety while doing all this