Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
1987 29' Airstream 290
Orange Park , Florida
Engine bogging down/Where is fuel filter?

i recently inherited my dad's 1985 airstream 290 motorcoach, picked it up from san diego, made minor maintenance repairs & bought all new tires, to drive to tennessee. been on the road for 2 1/2 days and engine started bogging down like it wasn't getting fuel. it has a chevy 454 and we can't find the fuel filter and/or not even sure this is the problem. anyone know where the filter is and/or any suggestions on what could be the problem. thanks.
monkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, it is very common on those Chevys to feel like a fuel problem and only need a distributor rotor.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Half way up the frame from fuel tank.
This is exactly what mine does when filter is dirty.
There is also one at fuel tank, but I'm not sure is stock on mine.
Buy two when you find the type needed, and carry a spare.
This happens to me if I run fuel tank low, as below 1/4 level.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's likely a fuel delivery issue. Most of the motor homes had two fuel filters, as indicated above, and most of the longer ones had a second fuel pump at or in the fuel tank. If you replace the filter(s) and still have a problem, check the fuses to see if the electric fuel pump has blown a fuse.
Yours is somewhat shorter than most, that's why I'm not sure if it has the second fuel pump and filter at the rear. The filter may be really hard to spot, if it has the rear one it will be a canister type mounted on the frame rail near the tank, pretty much hidden from view.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
Mine did the same thing and I change all the ones mentioned above but it still lagged going up hills and accelerating. It was the small filter on the carb it self. It is easy to find and replace just remove the air filter (top and bottom) and on the front of the carb you will see a 1/2" (the biggest one) fuel line going into the passenger side. You will see a 1-1/4" hex cap remove that and there is a small filter. That was my problem.
I hope to never have fuel problems again
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRowan View Post
Mine did the same thing and I change all the ones mentioned above but it still lagged going up hills and accelerating. It was the small filter on the carb it self. It is easy to find and replace just remove the air filter (top and bottom) and on the front of the carb you will see a 1/2" (the biggest one) fuel line going into the passenger side. You will see a 1-1/4" hex cap remove that and there is a small filter. That was my problem.
I hope to never have fuel problems again
This will be your problem. Common to Quadrajet carbs. Happened on the road on my Snap-on truck. I just removed the filter until I got to the next parts house.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
there are Two size filters. a Long and a short. Mine is the Long. So I assume yours would be also. I buy 2 at a time. and change this Carb filter every 10,000 miles or sooner.

I also buy Sea-foam By the gallon and add a Cup or Two every fill up.

So far. NO issues with the engine.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
After experiencing engine shutdown 6 times in 2 miles near the end of a 300 mile trip, all PO notes and bills show he must have had the same problem, he changed filters every time he went on a trip. I didn't, opened gas cap, checked wires and sat camping for 6 days, started up and drove home 300 plus miles and not a problem. 454's were notorious fuel vapor lock engines but as some mechanics said it was before fuel injection. I will continue looking for the gremlin, in the past, I checked fuel pressure, back flushed the filter and so little came out it couldn't cover the little finger nail, along with fuel pump pressure test(good before filter and after at the engine, I changed out all plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, module, covered fuel line near engine with insulation. If I don't find a bad ground or wire in the fuel circuit, I will install a switch that will send power directly to the fuel pump bypassing all the sensors, relays and solenoid. Has anybody made an access hole under rear bed to make it possible to pull fuel pump in fuel tank without dropping tank?
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
After experiencing engine shutdown 6 times in 2 miles near the end of a 300 mile trip, all PO notes and bills show he must have had the same problem, he changed filters every time he went on a trip. I didn't, opened gas cap, checked wires and sat camping for 6 days, started up and drove home 300 plus miles and not a problem. 454's were notorious fuel vapor lock engines but as some mechanics said it was before fuel injection. I will continue looking for the gremlin, in the past, I checked fuel pressure, back flushed the filter and so little came out it couldn't cover the little finger nail, along with fuel pump pressure test(good before filter and after at the engine, I changed out all plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, module, covered fuel line near engine with insulation. If I don't find a bad ground or wire in the fuel circuit, I will install a switch that will send power directly to the fuel pump bypassing all the sensors, relays and solenoid. Has anybody made an access hole under rear bed to make it possible to pull fuel pump in fuel tank without dropping tank?
The PO did that on my 280. Someone cut hole in the floor. It needs a cover now like you see on boats etc.

Mine does the bogging thing too.
deltatango is offline   Reply With Quote