Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2020, 06:42 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
....... With 3 dead batteries it took out the alternator before we got home.
Hi

Most shops have some *really* big battery chargers. They will (if turned all the way up) put a couple hundred amps of charge current into the batteries. The gotcha is that they need a pretty hefty AC circuit to keep them happy.

The application (as you have found) is recharging "big" battery setups so that folks can get back on the road. Without the boost, yes, the alternator will fry at some point down the road. If three batteries works out to ~500AH of capacity, even with one of those monsters doing the job, it'll take ~4 hours to be ready to roll down the road.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #42
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Most shops have some *really* big battery chargers. They will (if turned all the way up) put a couple hundred amps of charge current into the batteries. The gotcha is that they need a pretty hefty AC circuit to keep them happy.

The application (as you have found) is recharging "big" battery setups so that folks can get back on the road. Without the boost, yes, the alternator will fry at some point down the road. If three batteries works out to ~500AH of capacity, even with one of those monsters doing the job, it'll take ~4 hours to be ready to roll down the road.

Bob
If I recall, they had it running when we got back from lunch. I could hear the alternator belt all the way home from Ft. Worth (to Choctaw). Had it rebuilt and it worked till I ungraded to the Cummins.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
If I recall, they had it running when we got back from lunch. I could hear the alternator belt all the way home from Ft. Worth (to Choctaw). Had it rebuilt and it worked till I ungraded to the Cummins.
Hi

Well, if you ever get into this situation again, find a big charger and run it for at least 4 hours before you let the alternator do it's thing for a long period of time. A minute or three starting the engine and making sure it runs is not usually what kills them. It's the long haul putting out a lot of current forever and ever.

(There *are* other ways to kill them ... back at ...umm ...errr ... we ran a "load dump" test and then put them in the box. For whatever reason, there was no "full load" test after that load dump. Surprise !!! the load dump blew more than a few diodes ..... ummm .... errr ... )

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote