Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2022, 01:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Driving lights switch

Hi all - just overhauling the headlights and adding the relays on our 1991 250 Classic. Our lower headlights have never worked. Main and Dipped have always been wired on the upper light only.

Re: Driving Light switch on the dash which is next to the ICC blink switch. What is that meant to do? The button illuminates, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It does not turn on or give power to the lower set of lights. There is a light blue wire coming off the rear of the driving light switch but also unclear of the wiring or how they have hooked it up. Can anyone help shed any light on this matter?

thanks
Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:00 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Amsterdam , --
Since I'm a newbie Airstream-owner since May 2022, my answer might not be 100% right, but I think on our 1990 345LE, the Driving Lights-switch switches the lights on the front, below the bumper, on and off.
Here in The Netherlands (I'm living in Amsterdam) we call them "fog lights".
I don't know if this Driving Lights-switch also switches lights on the back of the motorhome.

Hope this helps?

Niek/ Amsterdam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRIVING LIGHTS.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	425814  
niekbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by niekbeem View Post
Since I'm a newbie Airstream-owner since May 2022, my answer might not be 100% right, but I think on our 1990 345LE, the Driving Lights-switch switches the lights on the front, below the bumper, on and off.
Here in The Netherlands (I'm living in Amsterdam) we call them "fog lights".
I don't know if this Driving Lights-switch also switches lights on the back of the motorhome.

Hope this helps?

Niek/ Amsterdam.
Thanks Niek - I think you are correct. Our 250 never came with fog lights which explains why the button doesn’t do anything! We hope to bring the 250 over to Amsterdam next year so maybe we can hook up for a beer.

All the best
Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Amsterdam , --
Thanks Nick,
I'll be happy to welcome you here and enjoy a beer together next year!

Cheers, Niek.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Airstream 290
Hannover , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Thanks Niek - I think you are correct. Our 250 never came with fog lights which explains why the button doesn’t do anything! We hope to bring the 250 over to Amsterdam next year so maybe we can hook up for a beer.

All the best
Nick
Hi Nick, I crawled under my dashboard to see where my switch is connected to but no cables at all. I think the fog lights were an option and if you didn't order them the switch is not in use. But good for me, the technical check (TÜV) asked to disable the 2 x five position lights on the roof. As the ICC blink is just a button (to turn them off for a moment) I had to disconnect them compeletly to make the checker happy. Now I connected them to the head light switch and could turn them off when there is the annual check and turn them on permanentely when the check is done.
AirStreamMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Halifax , Nova Scotia
That’s an odd one…. Did they say why they wanted the clearance lights to be disabled? These lights are on many trucks including ram 2500 etc.
I’m curious as to the reason.
Thanks
Roby466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 02:11 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Amsterdam , --
Quote:
Did they say why they wanted the clearance lights to be disabled?
It has got to do with regulations here in the EU.
For instance: here in The Netherlands clearance lights on the front of a vehicle must be clear white and at the back they must be red. And since the front clearance lights on the front of Airstream Motorhomes originally are "orange" they officially may not be switched on while on a public road. Orange clearance lights are used over here in the EU as vehicles side markers.

Just like many other European Airstream-motorhome-owners I replaced the ICC-blink-switch with a toggle switch so I can easily switch off the clearance lights during the yearly inspection.
During trips, I leave the clearance lights on of course...I've never been pulled over....

Niek/ Amsterdam.