RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Greenville , South Carolina
Dorothy- 1982 310 Motorhome

Hi Everyone!
I am so excited to say we bought my dream motorhome about two months ago. She is a 1982 310 rear twin bed model with center bath. I have extensively used the forums to begin bringing her back to life! I appreciate all the advice here so I thought I would share what we are working on.
1- we have removed all the curtains and valances
2- we removed the couch and had it refoamed and reupulstered. We also were able to remove all the nests and pecans the squirrels had brought in over the years.
3- the flooring was removed by the previous owner. subfloor is good except in the passenger side floorboard.

Our intent is to keep it largely original. We did have to remove the captains chairs and have purchased lightly used flexsteel chairs to replace the damaged ones. The engine is new. The previous owner had replaced the engine and the transmission already.

Current issues we are troubleshooting
1- the generator doesn't have gas flow. We can get it to run if we disconnect from the main tank, so we think maybe a clog there?
2- leak in the main cab area. The passenger side has a leak that is showing up on the floor with quite a bit of water. However, I have yet to narrow it down. I have resealed the windows and I just replaced all the seals and gaskets on that slider window this weekend. I have sealed the seam above the cab as well. We just had rain and it is still getting in. I'm a bit at a loss. We water tested it before i did the window and thought we had it narrowed down. Any suggestions are welcome

There is a damaged/indented area right above the passenger side. It looks to me like either something fell on it or someone pressed down to hard. The search light I'm still suspicious that it might be causing an issue. We aren't planning to gut the cab, so I'm a little weary to remove the plastic skin and the aluminum skin to roll the dent out from the inside. Not sure how or if I should fix that.

The engine runs great. We are still figuring out the electrical and making sure to have it all working properly. We haven't been able to see if the AC's will come on yet. Or when we have tried they aren't working but we are thinking we are just missing a piece.

This is our first RV. We are so excited! I am sure to continue to use the forums for help and advice.

I'm attaching some original photos. I will update with how she looks today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_132303.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	381986   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_154551.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	381987  

Name:	20200830_132916.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	381988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4370.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	381989  

barrinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Awesome! Please keep the posts and lots of photos coming!
Old 10-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
Looks great!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Nice, looks great, you got the good awning package!

Rear AC will work on generator likely, front will have a selector switch above the sink
Old 10-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
For your passenger leak, grab some trempro 635, amd reseal the marker lights and spotlight, and maybe around the windshield. While you're up there... Everything will need fresh sealant. It's not that big a job really.

For the generator, its common for the gas line from the tank to be squashed and not let fuel flow, highly recommended you replace all the rubber fuel lines anyway, as the new gas makes them brittle and crack causing more than a couple documented fires
Old 10-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
congratulations on your 310 . They are a fun version of the classic MH assortment. I owned and restored one myself.

If the generators runs with an external supply line, you have either less than a quarter tank of fuel or a disconnected fuel line somewhere on the way or

at the tank. The pickup tube only goes down 3/4 of the tank. I have also seen the pickup tube broken off inside the tank.

The passenger side floor leak is common to all the classics, some more than others. The side windows are difficult to seal, have very small drain holes and are hard to operate. In later years Airstream installed a metal tube to drain the window channels. Water travels and can come all the way from your front roof AC. The heater core is right in front of the passenger seat, make sure it doesn't leak.

If you plan on removing the big ABS curved ceiling cover to push the dent out, you will have a chance to observe what may be going on with leaks.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I recently replaced the entire fuel delivery system in my 1975 Argosy MH. The previous owner had cut a hole in the floor for an access panel to the top of the fuel tank (you will need access to the top of the tank to assess and repair your generator fuel delivery issue). Having access to the tank sender and all the fuel connections made my work infinitely easier (vs. dropping the tank for these repairs and maintenance). I highly recommend this modification for work that you will do now and in the future; just make sure that you have a good plan for how you will seal the access panel back up.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
Good luck on your restoration!! It looks like you are going to have a great motorhome. It is hard to not appreciate the classics.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
congratulations on your 310 . They are a fun version of the classic MH assortment. I owned and restored one myself.

If the generators runs with an external supply line, you have either less than a quarter tank of fuel or a disconnected fuel line somewhere on the way or

at the tank. The pickup tube only goes down 3/4 of the tank. I have also seen the pickup tube broken off inside the tank.

The passenger side floor leak is common to all the classics, some more than others. The side windows are difficult to seal, have very small drain holes and are hard to operate. In later years Airstream installed a metal tube to drain the window channels. Water travels and can come all the way from your front roof AC. The heater core is right in front of the passenger seat, make sure it doesn't leak.

If you plan on removing the big ABS curved ceiling cover to push the dent out, you will have a chance to observe what may be going on with leaks.

Thank you for the suggestions!
I took time and resealed the spot light and all the clearance lights. Also I did all the seams and the windshield too. We are expecting rain the next few days so that should test it!
Old 11-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
For your passenger leak, grab some trempro 635, amd reseal the marker lights and spotlight, and maybe around the windshield. While you're up there... Everything will need fresh sealant. It's not that big a job really.

For the generator, its common for the gas line from the tank to be squashed and not let fuel flow, highly recommended you replace all the rubber fuel lines anyway, as the new gas makes them brittle and crack causing more than a couple documented fires

Thank you!
I have seen some of the stories and photos of some very scary fires situations. This is on our list to address very soon.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Leak update-
Well, She still leaks. I caulked around the windshield, front windows, search light, horns, seams. Everything in the front cab area should be sealed tight.
The floorboard on the passenger side is just as bad as ever.

I will just have to work my way back I guess and keep sealing. I havenít done the ACís or the antenna or the vents yet.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310

Name:	IMG_4688.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	383131
Old 11-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #13
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrinea View Post
Leak update-
Well, She still leaks. I caulked around the windshield, front windows, search light, horns, seams. Everything in the front cab area should be sealed tight.
The floorboard on the passenger side is just as bad as ever.

I will just have to work my way back I guess and keep sealing. I havenít done the ACís or the antenna or the vents yet.

that reminds me of my first Airstream MH, a 1979 28'. I chased a leak for a long time and could see it dripping down in the front right.
It appeared to be running down from in between the windshield and the right cockpit window coming from nowhere.
Eventually I was fed up with trying to find the source and installed a small funnel and a drain line through the floor. Never had a wet floor again.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
that reminds me of my first Airstream MH, a 1979 28'. I chased a leak for a long time and could see it dripping down in the front right.
It appeared to be running down from in between the windshield and the right cockpit window coming from nowhere.
Eventually I was fed up with trying to find the source and installed a small funnel and a drain line through the floor. Never had a wet floor again.

Oh my gosh- YES!
We just talked about installing some sort of drain if we canít figure it out. It is leaking exactly there. It runs down that metal piece between the windshield and the passenger window. It doesnít look like much water but you see the results. It doesnít drip from anywhere either.

We may have to just move to that if we canít figure it out.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:25 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Londonderry , New Hampshire
You might try the process of elimination in chasing down your leak.
Try taping plastic sheeting over the entire front windshield and
see if that stops the leak. Then try moving the sheeting to the
side. Cover from the passenger window back to door. If no
success cover all of the fixtures on the roof.

One by one you should eventually find it.
Air345Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
On the outside above the sliding windows, you'll see a row of screws instead of rivets along the top. That part of the frame is sealed to the body with trempro. I found mine to be in need of replacement. Similarly worth checking all the other windows.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrinea View Post
Oh my gosh- YES!
We just talked about installing some sort of drain if we canít figure it out. It is leaking exactly there. It runs down that metal piece between the windshield and the passenger window. It doesnít look like much water but you see the results. It doesnít drip from anywhere either.

We may have to just move to that if we canít figure it out.
Maybe this will help.

Cockpit window water drain
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote