Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Before you buy new A/C units you may want to try and replace the capacitors in one of the the units to see if that helps. You need to pull the shroud off and then there is an access panel on the side (drivers side) of the unit. The capacitors just plug in. They aren’t expensive, my Coleman’s have three per unit. I think you can get all new caps for less than $100 per unit. I did it and it breathed new life into my old ac units. They cool great again.
You need the numbers off your original caps to order new ones. I got mine from Amazon.
Other than having to work on the roof, it’s not too hard of a job.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:38 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Greenville , South Carolina
Hi Everyone!
We took a bit of time off from the renovations, but we had a great weekend to kick off getting Dorothy on the road! Over the last year, I've been buying things along the way. I've got "new" captains chairs, new mattresses, we got the sofa reupholstered and it is beautiful! I finished cleaning the inside and I have all the old curtains and hardware down. We are taking her this week to a mechanic we finally found that would be willing to work on her. I want everythign checked out so we feel safe. I am requesting the gas lines to be changed too after reading many of your posts.

As you can tell, I'm very excited! It was nice to put the captains chairs in place yesterday.

I have a stupid question. When we removed the couch, I didn't take a picture of how it was connected. I have the knife style couch and it has two round bars sticking out of the back. I can't for the life of me remember how to connect it to the sofa. I know it takes 4 screws and I have those, but I don't remember if there is another piece I should be looking for to connect it to the metal frame? Anyone happen to have a photo of their old couch you could share? I need a photo of the back bottom corners (left and right) to remind me how this was attached.

Thank you!
barrinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
There are two u shaped brackets with “ears” that slip over the “two round bars” that you mention. The ears have holes for bolts that slip down through the aluminum frame and you puts nuts on the bottom side. That’s it
Old 09-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Greenville , South Carolina
Thank you!

So as it goes with these older Motorhomes, a you take two steps forward and two leaps backward! We had everything ready to take to the shop. When we were stating her up, it was struggling a bit. After three tries we ended up with a small engine fire. Luckily after reading over the last year in the forums, we had the fire extinguisher handy and got it quickly under control. This was the exact reason we were taking it to the shop was from all the previous posts about the fire hazard these can be. So today she will get towed to the shop and have everything checked out an repaired.
barrinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Dang it!
(I gotta say I love my Isuzu diesel)