Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Do I need to be level? Couldn't get answer in category

I was out 2 weeks ago with my 1987 345. The first two days the pilot for the water heater lit and heated my water. I moved the rv to dump and when I settled in again I couldn't get the pilot to stay lit for the water heater. I was more sloped in my parking space. Would this affect the pilot light?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptalk View Post
I was out 2 weeks ago with my 1987 345. The first two days the pilot for the water heater lit and heated my water. I moved the rv to dump and when I settled in again I couldn't get the pilot to stay lit for the water heater. I was more sloped in my parking space. Would this affect the pilot light?
Being off level. only has two bad effects.

1. It's harder to walk a straight line.

2. The reefer colling unit will vapor lock, and not cool. Sometimes that requires a new cooling unit for a fix.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
It shouldn't affect the pilot light being lit, Karen & Jay, but it could affect whether the flame heats the flame sensor enough to keep the gas valve open. It will also affect your refrigerator is a BIG way, and that's an expensive replace. Best to park as close to level as possible, preferably true level. Also clean the flame sensors on both (fine emery cloth and a light touch) and watch how the flame touches them when lit. A sooty flame (lots of yellow) will foul the sensors pretty quickly.
Keep on camping!
Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote