Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #781
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler

Dean,

I found these hoses in the storage compartment of my 74 Argosy. I'm guessing/hoping that the two matching ones are the lower hose and the single hose is the upper hose.

Can you confirm or deny this assumption?

Thanks!

Brad
The upper hose is upside down. The bottom end in the pic goes to radiator...other end to thermostat housing.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #782
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Yes! The two on the left look like the bottom hose and the other does look like the upper! You may have lucked out if they are in good shape!
All of the hoses appear to be soft and pliable.

What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to have a copper or steel tube bent to the correct shape and connected with short sections of rubber hose at each end. My Triumph TR4 and 51 Dodge pickup both use that approach for connecting the radiator to the motor. Considering these hoses are no longer available that might be a viable alternative.

Thanks identifying them!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #783
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:

All of the hoses appear to be soft and pliable.

What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to have a copper or steel tube bent to the correct shape and connected with short sections of rubber hose at each end. My Triumph TR4 and 51 Dodge pickup both use that approach for connecting the radiator to the motor. Considering these hoses are no longer available that might be a viable alternative.

Thanks identifying them!

Brad
That's exactly what I would do next time. I wonder if a V shaped pipe is already available from another application?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #784
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
That's exactly what I would do next time. I wonder if a V shaped pipe is already available from another application?
There area companies out there that that will do CNC bending of tubing to your specifications. This is one of those situations that makes me wonder if I managed to get a company to make some tubes at a reasonable price maybe we could do a group buy.

I have a friend who does CNC machine work so he might be able to provide some leads. Let me do some research as to what options are out there and I'll report back.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #785
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:

There area companies out there that that will do CNC bending of tubing to your specifications. This is one of those situations that makes me wonder if I managed to get a company to make some tubes at a reasonable price maybe we could do a group buy.

I have a friend who does CNC machine work so he might be able to provide some leads. Let me do some research as to what options are out there and I'll report back.

Brad
Need the ridge at the two ends of the pipe as well to securely hold the hose.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #786
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
This one is close...maybe not bent enough...and too much money! Bet we could find something out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-62754965.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	168641  
Old 09-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #787
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I've sent an email off to my friend and included the bit about the ridges. We'll see what happens.

Looks like you might be on the right track for a replacement tube.

Worst case is I'm sure a muffler shop could fabricate something. Or even worse yet is I could buy one of those Harbor Freight tubing benders and make some myself
Old 09-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #788
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:

Dean,

I found these hoses in the storage compartment of my 74 Argosy. I'm guessing/hoping that the two matching ones are the lower hose and the single hose is the upper hose.

Can you confirm or deny this assumption?

Thanks!

Brad
Brad, here is a pic of the lower and upper to compare to your pic. Length of lower is about 33", upper is about 27".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1415754607.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	602.6 KB
ID:	168643  
Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #789
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Alternator update...

I tested the wiring and voltages at the alternator connector and the isolator. So far it is pointing to the alternator being bad (really pissed at that). I pulled the alternator and I'll run it into town tomorrow to have it bench tested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-285922823.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	542.0 KB
ID:	168659  
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #790
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy
Alternator update...

I tested the wiring and voltages at the alternator connector and the isolator. So far it is pointing to the alternator being bad (really pissed at that). I pulled the alternator and I'll run it into town tomorrow to have it bench tested.
I'm still a bit confused on the alternator wiring. Originally the '81 had a SI type alternator (I believe). Years ago mine was upgraded to the CS130 type. CS type has a four pin connector. The S (sense) pin is connected to the engine battery. The F (field) is connected to the ignition and/or charge light. Some docs say to use the L pin and some say to use the F pin for this. My L and P are not connected. Anyone know exactly how these darn things are to be wired?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #791
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad, here is a pic of the lower and upper to compare to your pic. Length of lower is about 33", upper is about 27".
Dean,

I've found a place that can work from sketches or detailed drawings to bend tubing. I'm thinking of generating a detailed sketch of from one of my hoses and having a tube bent. Would you be interested in test fitting the tube on your rig? It will be some time yet before my engine is installed and even more time before the radiator is set in place.

Brad
Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #792
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Dood idea guys.
Make sure you use silicon pipe for the flex joints and you will be good for life!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #793
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Dood idea guys.
Make sure you use silicon pipe for the flex joints and you will be good for life!
My life or the motorhomes life? I'm pretty sure it's going to out last me
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #794
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:

Dean,

I've found a place that can work from sketches or detailed drawings to bend tubing. I'm thinking of generating a detailed sketch of from one of my hoses and having a tube bent. Would you be interested in test fitting the tube on your rig? It will be some time yet before my engine is installed and even more time before the radiator is set in place.

Brad
Let's chat more about that. What kind of price is he getting...just curious.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #795
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Let's chat more about that. What kind of price is he getting...just curious.
No price yet. My concern is sending dimensions off to someone, having a bunch made and find out they don't quite fit. If someone is in need of one in the near future I'm not in a position to check fit a tube. I would like to get one fabricated if the price is reasonable and then if it fits find out what their price breaks might be for fabricating them in various batch sizes.

I'm not thrilled with the idea that all I have is two used hoses for my motorhome. The odds are pretty good on having a hose blow that has been used and then removed, stored and then reused again.

If there isn't a market for these then I will likely just have one made for myself and call it good. As Steve mentioned it should at least last for the life of the motorhome.

Brad
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #796
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Alternator update...

Well really pissed now! I'm at a good local alternator/starter shop in Red Bluff. The so called 220 amp alternator I got from power bastards.com one yr and 4 days ago is bad. It is 4 days over warranty so powerbastards.com will not warranty it. Will cost $175 bucks plus shipping to get it rebuilt with a 30 day warranty or. $320 bucks for another new one with 1 yr warranty. I'm very disappointed this very expensive alternator lasted 2000 miles and 1 yr. sad. I won't be buying from powerbastards.com again. Shop here says there is no such thing as a 220 amp alternator since rectifiers/regulators are only made for up to 180 amps. True? Don't know.

I'm buying a stock 105 amp from the local shop. I want to get on the road next week!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #797
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:

No price yet. My concern is sending dimensions off to someone, having a bunch made and find out they don't quite fit. If someone is in need of one in the near future I'm not in a position to check fit a tube. I would like to get one fabricated if the price is reasonable and then if it fits find out what their price breaks might be for fabricating them in various batch sizes.

I'm not thrilled with the idea that all I have is two used hoses for my motorhome. The odds are pretty good on having a hose blow that has been used and then removed, stored and then reused again.

If there isn't a market for these then I will likely just have one made for myself and call it good. As Steve mentioned it should at least last for the life of the motorhome.

Brad
Can you send him the old hose as a model?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #798
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Alternator update...

Well really pissed now! I'm at a good local alternator/starter shop in Red Bluff. The so called 220 amp alternator I got from power bastards.com one yr and 4 days ago is bad. It is 4 days over warranty so powerbastards.com will not warranty it. Will cost $175 bucks plus shipping to get it rebuilt with a 30 day warranty or. $320 bucks for another new one with 1 yr warranty. I'm very disappointed this very expensive alternator lasted 2000 miles and 1 yr. sad. I won't be buying from powerbastards.com again. Shop here says there is no such thing as a 220 amp alternator since rectifiers/regulators are only made for up to 180 amps. True? Don't know.

I'm buying a stock 105 amp from the local shop. I want to get on the road next week!
Wow

I've always wondered about those "high amp" alternators and whether they were really the cats meow they are purported to be. From your experience I can safely say I'm sticking with the 105 amp alternator that I have.

It's sad that they won't warranty something that is just 4 days outside of warranty but I guess I'm not really surprised either.

Sorry you're having to go through all of this.

Brad
Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #799
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Can you send him the old hose as a model?
I'm considering this option also. Since I have two to work with it's probably not a bad idea. I will try and stipulate that they MUST send the original hose back to me.

Now that I know how rare they are I'm going to lock them in my safe until needed
Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #800
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Oops! I was wrong. My powerbastards.com very expensive alternator is only one day out of warranty! Oh well, that's the American way!

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome