Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #761
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Wow....
Do you get an assigned spot or first come basis?
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #762
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm
Your speeding there.! Your lucky the fuzz didn't get you.
Dave
Burning Man "season" is the best time of year for law enforcement in and around Black Rock City for a hundred miles or so. They fill their coffers with the riches of the dumb a$$'s that pass through. I saw many vehicles/RVs pulled over. One of my buddies we were caravanning with was pulled over on the Playa before he got to camp. He was pulled over for a license plate light not functioning and he made the stupid mistake of agreeing to a vehicle search. He was very lucky since he drove away with only an open container citation and a verbal warning for some some fireworks...they searched his motorhome extensively but didn't find the large stash of fireworks, his pot, his mushrooms and other well stuff. Shaking my head! On top of that, he lost one of his BM tickets on the way in.

I can assure you to the dismay of my fellow caravaners that I didn't exceed 55 mph as I was pulling a trailer! LOL. Of course, they all left at the end of the week without me cause 55 wasn't their idea of fun. Sad face. Safety is number one in my book, but my friends hate me for it...oh well! LOL

The distance from Redding to Black Rock Desert isn't that far, but after 12 hours, I wish I could have driven at the speed of the video! LOL
Old 09-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #763
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH

Thanks for posting the video. I like the 6 lane hwy leading into BM..
They actually have 8 lanes out there!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #764
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
Awesome Dean!
Love the dust storm!!!!
In that case, come and help me clean up the MH this next week! LOL
Old 09-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #765
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest
Great video! Ditto on the final blast through the dust storm. Loved the sense of mayhem. Very "Road Warrior-ish". Reminds me of the morning commute into Boston. Just a bit disappointed though that you were letting so many lesser vehicles get past you.

Considering everything you packed, did you forget to bring your crossbow?
Definitely reminds me of Mad Max and the movie 4th of July when all the RVs and cars are heading across the desert to the military base in the middle of no where. It was a very strange feeling once we were on the playa and in the dust storms. The white (dust) outs were so bad at times, I had to stop the MH and wait for it to clear a bit. I wasn't worried since I had 16 feet of utility trailer behind me for someone to smash into!

I live by the axiom that 50% of the population are morons...LOL. It was crazy how people were passing me up on the playa in near white out conditions. I almost got side swiped twice. I blew my air horn until there was no air left for it to blow! Coming out was just as bad.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #766
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
Wow....
Do you get an assigned spot or first come basis?
If you are part of a bigger "camp", you can request an assigned space ahead of time for your group. The inner circles are setup for this purpose. We were much closer to the center the first night when we thought we were welcomed in the group that I hauled a 1000 pounds of supplies to the desert for. I digress, but it is important to understand reality trumps the Burning Man principles when you get 50,000 people together. You are going to get a cross section of the real population at Burning Man no matter what.

Back on the subject...the outer circles are first come first serve...just pick a spot and set up camp! We were very happy with the spot we chose. Very nice people around us and no loud obnoxious music playing 24 hours a day! LOL
Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #767
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I live by the axiom that 50% of the population are morons...LOL. It was crazy how people were passing me up on the playa in near white out conditions. I almost got side swiped twice. I blew my air horn until there was no air left for it to blow! Coming out was just as bad.
I think you're drastically over estimating the intellect of the general population.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #768
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest

I think you're drastically over estimating the intellect of the general population.
Agreed!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #769
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
A/C compressor clutch

When I turn on the dash a/c, the clutch squeals a bit. If I turn it on and off a few times, I can get it to stop. I've heard that the clutch can be replaced. I've also heard that the clutch squeals when turned off if it is bad. The a/c works great, except for my continued blower issue, so I don't want to open up the system. Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #770
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
A/C compressor clutch

When I turn on the dash a/c, the clutch squeals a bit. If I turn it on and off a few times, I can get it to stop. I've heard that the clutch can be replaced. I've also heard that the clutch squeals when turned off if it is bad. The a/c works great, except for my continued blower issue, so I don't want to open up the system. Any thoughts on this?
Are you sure its the clutch squealing? We had belt squeal on our 310 off and on for a year or more that gradually got worse. At times I was able to get the squealing to stop by gunning the engine a time or two. Turns out it was worn belts and worst of all the belt broke while passing a semi on the interstate. The belt that broke then took out the other two belts which left me with no power steering, no power brakes and no cooling. It was dicey there for a minute or so trying to get off onto the shoulder.

If it is your a/c clutch I have heard that on some vehicles you can replace the clutch without out to much problem. If you do attempt this it would be nice to know how you go about it.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #771
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Are you sure its the clutch squealing? We had belt squeal on our 310 off and on for a year or more that gradually got worse. At times I was able to get the squealing to stop by gunning the engine a time or two. Turns out it was worn belts and worst of all the belt broke while passing a semi on the interstate. The belt that broke then took out the other two belts which left me with no power steering, no power brakes and no cooling. It was dicey there for a minute or so trying to get off onto the shoulder.

If it is your a/c clutch I have heard that on some vehicles you can replace the clutch without out to much problem. If you do attempt this it would be nice to know how you go about it.

Good luck!

Brad
I will have to check again to make sure, but I've checked the belt and it is tight and new.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #772
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Anyone have an idea what a valve job on 454 heads might cost these days?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #773
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Anyone have an idea what a valve job on 454 heads might cost these days?
I would hold off on the valve job. With the mileage on the engine a valve job will put an overload on the rings and probably suck oil through them and you will be easy to find by following the cloud of blue smoke. With 135,000 miles, I think that is what I read somewhere, leave it alone or go ahead an rebuild the entire engine.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #774
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I agree with you Dan.
135k miles is both a lot and not so much.
Dean, your Dad, drove that M/H and from what I saw, treated it well, and with respect.
Do a compression test if you really want to know where the engine is...
Is it using oil or dripping oil?
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #775
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Yup about 135k is where it's at. I did a compression check a year ago when trying to smog it. I can't remember exactly but think it was around 130 and all were almost identical. So i think I'm in good shape. It definitely leaks oil...intake manifold gasket for one. Maybe it's not burning as much as I think but it does use a quart about every 300-400 miles.

Maybe just best then to pull intake only and replace gaskets there. Certainly would be a lot less $$$.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #776
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I've got to say its been a real joy working on the mh but I think I really have reached a point where I just want to use it and enjoy it. The less work I "need" to do at this point the better! And I think I've spent enough money on it for awhile. LOL. I just got up north to spend the next week cleaning it and prepping mh and ATV for a trip to Coos Bay OR to go riding in the sand. It would be great to reach the point where all I have to do is load the food and go when I want to travel with it!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #777
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You dreamer you!

Dave

[QUOTE=dadstoy;1204363] It would be great to reach the point where all I have to do is load the food and go when I want to travel with it![/QUOTE]
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #778
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Maybe it's not burning as much as I think but it does use a quart about every 300-400 miles.
We have been burning/leaking about the same amount for two trips over the Rockies and a zigzag trip from coast to coast. I say we declare ourselves as "normal" and keep on driving.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #779
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad,

I dont think those hoses are for the vertical radiator. The top hose i used is the Gates 22086 and I cut a few inches off the thermostat housing end for a proper fit.

I cant find a pic of the lower hose. I'll be heading up to the MH sometime next week to begin the massive cleaning job! I'll take pics of the bottom hose and I'll take some measurements for you.
Dean,

I found these hoses in the storage compartment of my 74 Argosy. I'm guessing/hoping that the two matching ones are the lower hose and the single hose is the upper hose.

Can you confirm or deny this assumption?

Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy-hoses.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	168636

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #780
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler

Dean,

I found these hoses in the storage compartment of my 74 Argosy. I'm guessing/hoping that the two matching ones are the lower hose and the single hose is the upper hose.

Can you confirm or deny this assumption?

Thanks!

Brad
Yes! The two on the left look like the bottom hose and the other does look like the upper! You may have lucked out if they are in good shape!

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome