Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #421
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Brighton , sussex
Great work Dean. Can you use the Dupli Color spray paint on leather or just vinyl?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #422
3 Rivet Member

What he is using is not really spray paint, it is Duplicolor Vinyl and fabric dye and yes, it can be used on leather.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #423
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Great work Dean. Can you use the Dupli Color spray paint on leather or just vinyl?
Thanks!

I just read the can and it says you can use on vinyl, simulated leather and fabric, so I don't know about real leather. Check out the Dupli-Color web site, they may have more info.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #424
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyStreamer88
What he is using is not really spray paint, it is Duplicolor Vinyl and fabric dye and yes, it can be used on leather.
The can states simulated leather, so I don't know about real leather...have you tried it on leather?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #425
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
The can states simulated leather, so I don't know about real leather...have you tried it on leather?

I can't vouch for the can's instructions however I know people who have used the product on real leather upholstery with great results. I worked in an upholstery shop for several years and it was common practice. It might be worth noting they used SEM brand dyes but I'm pretty sure it is all the same stuff. Having said that, some leather, like a leather wrapped steering wheel has a sealer on it and would not take the dye like normal leather upholstery will. That is most likely why the can says what it does, they don't want to be liable if you attempt to spray it over a sealer.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #426
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
My apologies to every American worker, but it's not up to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2483213106.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	152479  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #427
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
My three favorite tools for working on the Motorhome...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3570594955.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	152651   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-246332259.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	152652  

Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #428
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I love the sound of the 454 roaring to life!

I finally finished up the water pump, hoses and belts with no leaks, no drips and no errors! Replacing the water pump is a bit of a chore since the hydro boost pump (power steering), smog pump and alternator bolt up to it. The tight quarters to work in also doesn't make the job a fun one. Here is what I replaced...

Heavy duty water pump
Water pump by-pass hose
Lower radiator hose
Upper radiator hose
Heater hoses
Radiator filler neck hose
Thermostat housing
Thermostat
Water temp sensor
Hydro boost pump belt
A/C belt
Engine oil cooler lines
Fan clutch

Here's a little tip...as you should know, you never place a pry bar against the hydro boost pump, A/C compressor, etc to tighten the belts. If you do, you run the risk of damaging these components. Both the hydro boost pump and the A/C compressor brackets have a half inch square hole that a half inch rachet or breaker bar will fit into that you use to pull the belts tight!

Another tip when putting all back together...clearances are tight around certain areas of the fan belts. When I replaced the lower hose I noticed it was cracked at the top or so I thought. It was actually worn by the fan belt. If the hose is pushed too far up on the water pump neck, it will rub again the belt. You also must check the positioning of the hose clamps...it will also contact the belt if not positioned properly.

I never did find a replacement lower radiator hose. Those of us with the vertical radiator just seem to be **** out of luck here. My dad kept a spare 343414 original lower hose and that is what I used. For the upper hose I used a Gates 22086 and cut both ends to make it fit. Again, there is no replacement for this hose either.

I also finally figured out which belts are the correct ones. Most manufactures use the same last three numbers...the A/C belt is x630, hydro-boost pump is x415 (if you do not have A/C, it is x460), the alternator-smog pump belt is x495. I have a custom high output alternator which has a slightly smaller pulley on it so I use a x490.

I use a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distiller water in the radiator.

The only issue I have is that the temperature gauge is no longer working. The sending unit I got might be the wrong one, but I would think that even so, the gauge would show something. Hopefully it is just a wiring issue that I can easily address.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #429
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Great info Dean,
Having done the pump on my Suburban, I know its not the easiest job when you can reach from above!
I too found a rub/wear mark on the lower hose, so good point.

As for the Temp gauge issue, try grounding the wire on the engine block or a good earth... the gauge should run to max temp... if not, the feed wire is broken or gauge is bust... yes, I have had that too!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #430
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
Great info Dean,
Having done the pump on my Suburban, I know its not the easiest job when you can reach from above!
I too found a rub/wear mark on the lower hose, so good point.

As for the Temp gauge issue, try grounding the wire on the engine block or a good earth... the gauge should run to max temp... if not, the feed wire is broken or gauge is bust... yes, I have had that too!
Thanks Steve. I'm going to try grounding the temp wire and see what I get!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #431
3 Rivet Member

When I replaced the belts on mine I ended up making a couple of extra trips to the local NAPA get the right length belts. I saved the sleeves with the part numbers for every belt. Wish I would have known, I could have saved you some leg work. Mine was missing the AC compressor belt and one of the AIR pump belts. (Installing a new AC compressor was what spawned the belt replacement project) It sure was fun figuring out what order the belts went on in and which pulley each one went around while adding the missing belts. There is a tiny sticker on one of the brackets showing the order but it was mostly illegible due to age. Oh well, you are done now anyhow... Fun stuff!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #432
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyStreamer88
When I replaced the belts on mine I ended up making a couple of extra trips to the local NAPA get the right length belts. I saved the sleeves with the part numbers for every belt. Wish I would have known, I could have saved you some leg work. Mine was missing the AC compressor belt and one of the AIR pump belts. (Installing a new AC compressor was what spawned the belt replacement project) It sure was fun figuring out what order the belts went on in and which pulley each one went around while adding the missing belts. There is a tiny sticker on one of the brackets showing the order but it was mostly illegible due to age. Oh well, you are done now anyhow... Fun stuff!
It took me a few minutes to remember/figure out that belt order too!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #433
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
It took me a few minutes to remember/figure out that belt order too!
So, does yours only have four belts? Mine has 4 V-Belts and a serpentine style belt for the alternator. Like I said though it was missing two of the belts when I started, that was what made it so interesting for me to figure out. The AC compressor locked up so the original owner cut two belts so he could drive it home. I had to figure out the proper pulley placement and installation order for five belts after only removing three. It wasn't too terribly hard to figure out but I have serious back issues (rods, screws, bone graft, fusion all that good stuff) and working on the engine from above and below is truly a pain for me and I had to start over a couple of times before I got them all in their proper places. The whole time I was installing the belts I was thinking about how much fun it would be to replace the water pump and how I probably should have just went ahead and done it then. The good news is it might be hard to get at certain parts of this engine but it's still a very basic engine. I've worked on and built Chevy's since I was a teen and this thing is nothing but a BIG ass Chevy truck. I remind myself of that often.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #434
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
The '81 chassis federal model with one air pump and A/C only has three V belts...at least that is what mine is. I say '81 cause that is what the chassis is and the MH is an '82. The only problem I have had in getting engine parts has been the radiator hoses. I do take the old parts with me when getting new parts if possible because of the differences in the base P30 van and the MH. For example, I have four wheel disc brakes with the heavy duty Bendix master cylinder. The guy at Napa nearly had a stroke when I went in there asking for it. He said it would be weeks and has to come from the factory. So I went across the street to a local parts house in Red Bluff and they said no problem, will have it here first thing in the morning and they did!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #435
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
My bulk head fittings came in for the air compressor so I installed them today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3509104448.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	479.3 KB
ID:	152698  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #436
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I built a cover to put in front of the wiper wash tank mainly so the tank wouldn't show through the grill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1115730080.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	582.1 KB
ID:	152810   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-235158149.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	152814  

Name:	image-2363754550.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	152815   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3485553316.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	152817  

Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #437
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
New to the forum here. Long time admirer of Airstreams. I haven't purchased an RV yet but seeing this thread and following it through makes me sure I do want a classic. You've put a lot of work into yours and it shows. The classic factor can't be replicated for any amount in a new MH. The connection with your dad through this is great to read about.
Thanks for posting and keeping us all apprised of a fantastic journey.
Ken
blacktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #438
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Brighton , sussex
Dean , It's looking really good. I noticed your coolant overflow bottle.
Is there somewhere on-line that I can use to get this? I have seen it but just wondered where the best place is that is not a AS dealer. You have the bracket also , does this hook on anywhere special or did you make a mounting somewhere?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #439
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy
I built a cover to put in front of the wiper wash tank mainly so the tank wouldn't show through the grill.
Dean,
How much for a 2nd one???
Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #440
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

Dean,
How much for a 2nd one???
Derek
Derek, this is all I have left in sheet metal. I could probably make one to cover a cigarette pack! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2237127684.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	152887  

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome