Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #2121
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Laminate Countertop

I got out the iron again and peeled back the laminate beyond the curve. Re-glued both sides. Waited 15 minutes and put laminate back in place. I used a clamp at the curve to make sure the laminate was up against the side.

I still have to look at the "dung" job that the local shop did on the edges when they made the counter top for me, but I just tell myself that this isn't a 2 million dollar coach!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_3274.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	406975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3277.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	406976  

Name:	aIMG_3364.jpg
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	406977   Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_3367.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	648.7 KB
ID:	406978  

Old 10-25-2021, 05:04 PM   #2122
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Vacuum Operated Step

I love the old mechanical systems; those with no electronics to go bad! The vacuum operated step is a simple system. I received new parts today and in a few weeks I'll have the step working as new!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aIMG_3490.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	868.2 KB
ID:	406992   Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_3329.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	406993  

Name:	aIMG_3330.jpg
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	406994  
Old 10-26-2021, 05:53 AM   #2123
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I love the old mechanical systems; those with no electronics to go bad! The vacuum operated step is a simple system. I received new parts today and in a few weeks I'll have the step working as new!
Dean, I'm curious as to where you found the step parts. The booster sure looks like a brake vacuum booster!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #2124
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Dean, I'm curious as to where you found the step parts. The booster sure looks like a brake vacuum booster!
All from Amazon. The vacuum canister is the Corvette headlight actuator. Any simple check valve will work and the vacuum switch is a duel fuel tank switch of which there are many that will work. I googled the Airforums site and found a posting where someone listed the parts. I would give that person credit but I didn't save the link.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-26 094723.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	407047  
Old 10-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #2125
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
All from Amazon. The vacuum canister is the Corvette headlight actuator. Any simple check valve will work and the vacuum switch is a duel fuel tank switch of which there are many that will work. I googled the Airforums site and found a posting where someone listed the parts. I would give that person credit but I didn't save the link.
The custom mechanical parts of the steps will wear out before you run out of replacement part sources for everything else
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #2126
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I rebuilt my step system a couple years ago. It’s kind of interesting how it works. Did you replace the rubber hoses along with the other parts Dean? I’m interested in what you found when you removed the old hoses……I found a curious hole in one of the hoses that looked like it was cut into the hose purposely. It was one that was routed up through a part of the metal framing and fiberglass insulation was packed around where the hole in the hose was. When I installed the new hoses, I replicated the hole and put a wad of insulation around it and tucked it up into the framing just like the old one was. I have no idea exactly what that hole was about but it was just too exacting to be from wear or damage. The steps have worked perfectly since the rebuild so I’m happy but that was weird. My speculation, since it is indeed an Airstream motorhome, that the hole was an air release of some sort and the insulation was to keep kritters out yet be breathable. No idea why, what, when…I just remember seeing the hole cut into the tube after removing the insulation and just scratching my head. What the hell
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #2127
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I rebuilt my step system a couple years ago. It’s kind of interesting how it works. Did you replace the rubber hoses along with the other parts Dean? I’m interested in what you found when you removed the old hoses……I found a curious hole in one of the hoses that looked like it was cut into the hose purposely. It was one that was routed up through a part of the metal framing and fiberglass insulation was packed around where the hole in the hose was. When I installed the new hoses, I replicated the hole and put a wad of insulation around it and tucked it up into the framing just like the old one was. I have no idea exactly what that hole was about but it was just too exacting to be from wear or damage. The steps have worked perfectly since the rebuild so I’m happy but that was weird. My speculation, since it is indeed an Airstream motorhome, that the hole was an air release of some sort and the insulation was to keep kritters out yet be breathable. No idea why, what, when…I just remember seeing the hole cut into the tube after removing the insulation and just scratching my head. What the hell
Hey Mike, I haven't installed new parts yet, it will be a few weeks. I did get new hose but I haven't removed any old hose yet. The step hose is disconnected at the intake manifold (and manifold plugged). I couldn't get it to hold a vacuum when testing so I'm guessing I had a vacuum leak from the step which probably didn't help the running or timing of the engine. I'm guessing you are talking about the section of hose in the attached pic. I was wondering what that crap was stuffed in this cavity. I will have to figure this out because there is no way I am introducing a "vacuum leak" to the engine. Very interesting!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aIMG_3325.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	407205  
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #2128
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
There are no small projects on an Airstream

I'm not sure how the small project of replacing the step vacuum components evolved into removing the step. I guess I wanted to cleanup and paint the step so before I knew it, the step was off the MH. I see that the step is actually the floor of the step well. Its not that easy to step over the large hole in the floor to get in and out! I don't know why I'm doing this since I doubt that I will be able to clean up the step well enough to matter and I'm sure that a year from now it will just be rusted and pealing again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aIMG_3621.jpg
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	408135   Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_3620.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	408136  

Name:	aIMG_3622.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	408137  
Old 11-20-2021, 08:27 AM   #2129
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Hey Mike, I haven't installed new parts yet, it will be a few weeks. I did get new hose but I haven't removed any old hose yet. The step hose is disconnected at the intake manifold (and manifold plugged). I couldn't get it to hold a vacuum when testing so I'm guessing I had a vacuum leak from the step which probably didn't help the running or timing of the engine. I'm guessing you are talking about the section of hose in the attached pic. I was wondering what that crap was stuffed in this cavity. I will have to figure this out because there is no way I am introducing a "vacuum leak" to the engine. Very interesting!
Yup, that’s the spot where the hose ran through and had the hole cut in it. I didn’t understand it, but.. I rebuilt it just as it was. I did that a couple years ago and my steps have worked perfectly since. Now, mines a diesel and the only vacuum generated from the motor is from a pump attached to the back of the alternator.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #2130
3 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Clarkston , MI
Have the steps sand blasted and powdercoated. You won't have to worry about it rusting again. And have you considered getting a small electric vacuum pump for that vacuum stair? This way its not tied to the engine and will always have vacuum to operate the stair without the engine running.
Beltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #2131
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Yup, that’s the spot where the hose ran through and had the hole cut in it. I didn’t understand it, but.. I rebuilt it just as it was. I did that a couple years ago and my steps have worked perfectly since. Now, mines a diesel and the only vacuum generated from the motor is from a pump attached to the back of the alternator.

When I removed the old hose there was no hole in it, but I imagine that it is not the original hose.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #2132
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltran View Post
Have the steps sand blasted and powdercoated. You won't have to worry about it rusting again. And have you considered getting a small electric vacuum pump for that vacuum stair? This way its not tied to the engine and will always have vacuum to operate the stair without the engine running.
I was seriously considering that yesterday. But what I hear about the costs of professional media blasting and powder coating, there is just no room in the Airstream MH budget. Also, I think I would be bothered by having the steps looking beautiful with powder coating and the rest of the exterior looking like crap!

No need for a vacuum pump. The 454 creates plenty of vacuum and I don't see the need for the steps to be in without the engine running. If all the vacuum components are working correctly, the step will stay in until the door is opened.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #2133
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
Hey Dean, know what you mean about the budget!
On the 310, I tried for a few years trying to keep the steps working, but when my wife fell out of the coach missing the single step, the 2 step Kwikee became a budget item!
The price on these have gone up quite a bit. If I remember right I purchased the complete step about 13 years ago, for not much more than I had to pay for a replacement control and drive mechanism for the 350 this last year!
Good luck with the rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Airstream Forums mobile app
1982 310 MoHo (Sold! New home, NYC.)
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Toad, 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #2134
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmadmaxman View Post
Hey Dean, know what you mean about the budget!
On the 310, I tried for a few years trying to keep the steps working, but when my wife fell out of the coach missing the single step, the 2 step Kwikee became a budget item!
The price on these have gone up quite a bit. If I remember right I purchased the complete step about 13 years ago, for not much more than I had to pay for a replacement control and drive mechanism for the 350 this last year!
Good luck with the rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Airstream Forums mobile app

I absolutely agree that the single step is not the best. I have to watch myself every time I go in or out. I had looked into a new electric step and decided $600+ wasn't worth it for me. I worry more about others coming in and out, but with the pandemic, that is really no longer an issue.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #2135
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I reinstalled the step today. I needed to get that "hole" in the floor closed up! It's getting cold at night. I installed the new vacuum components, but have yet to run the vacuum line and test. I spent way too much time on this project. In hindsight, I should have just replaced the vacuum components.

I'm guessing Airstream didn't have access to insulation material, caulking and sealants back in '82. There were screws used where there shouldn't have been. There was foam stuffed in large gaps where something much better and longer lasting should have been used. I don't know that I am going to do any better since I have to use what is on hand, trips into town are long and costly.

The gray paint I'm using is not an exact match, some blue in it, but the MH was painted a couple decades ago not by the factory.

I still have an issue with the operation of the vacuum components to work out (will do another post).

My furnace that I replaced 10 years ago has stopped working. Not great now that winter is close by. The fan started running slow. Finally after a couple of days, the fan was making noise and then the fan would no longer turn on. Oh the fun never ends and the out pouring of $$$ never stops!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aDSC_0478.jpg
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	408303   Click image for larger version

Name:	a65914705280__220DF5A6-7D01-4A6A-9076-298DD2FA8BF7.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	619.9 KB
ID:	408304  

Name:	aIMG_3644.jpg
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	408305   Click image for larger version

Name:	a65922896239__B6E4D624-A020-4A8B-857D-6486F1831834(1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	408306  

Name:	aIMG_3663.jpg
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	408307   Click image for larger version

Name:	a65930551372__023F2ABC-64E7-4CB6-B1E6-993435B8045F.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	408308  

Name:	aIMG_3665.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	408309  
Old 11-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #2136
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Looks good Dean
Old 11-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #2137
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Looks good Dean
Thanks!

Since the vacuum actuator is a corvette part, I did a bit of research on how this works on the Corvettes. With the new actuator in hand, it is easy to see that for it to work, any vacuum on one side must be released before applied vacuum on the other side of the actuator can move the rod. On the Corvette this is accomplished via the vacuum relay (see attached pic).

This relay or switch works basically the same as the electric relay Airstream used. The Corvette relay uses vacuum on/off to switch the relay instead of 12v. But if you look at the bottom of the Corvette relay you will see an air vent. This is used to release the vacuum from one port when the other port is activated. The release of this vacuum on the "other" side of the actuator allows the rod to move when vacuum is applied to the opposite side.

Since Airstream used a standard dual fuel tank switch without an air/vacuum exhaust porf, they instead simply cut a hole in the vacuum line. Once vacuum is no longer applied to one side, the vacuum in that line will equalize with the atmosphere. The problem here and I see it as a serious problem is that this is introducing a vacuum leak to the engine. I disagree with this method. It is interesting that a hole seems to have only been cut into the vacuum line on one side (close step) and not the other of the actuator.

Looks like more parts are going to be required!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aScreenshot-2021-11-22-183333.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	408324  
Old 11-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #2138
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
So I’m not totally insane about the hole cut in the line?
Old 11-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #2139
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
Looking great Dean!

Here is what I use on my steps. Good traction wet or dry!

Name:	613C2bsPJPL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	408409
1982 310 MoHo (Sold! New home, NYC.)
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Toad, 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #2140
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
So I’m not totally insane about the hole cut in the line?

Well at first, I wasn't sure! But, correct, you're not crazy, Airstream was crazy!
Now I have to figure out how I'm going to finish mine.

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome