Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Crooked Door

I went through my wish list for the one project that had to be done before spring and the entrance door was staring at me.
Here is the problem. I use it as a handle/aide to pull myself up into Chummy when entering. My left leg is weak and gives out, thus I need the support on the right side to help me up. I have looked into handles but they mount on the wrong side plus they do not make handles large enough for our rounded bodies (Chummy's not mine.) Last summer my son and I removed the door and put in heavier bolts, then re-aligned it. the fix lasted about five walk ins. The problem lies in the hinges, mostly in the screen door which is very flimsy.
Any suggestions from the great minds out there?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Can you use a swing down bar? Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3012_big.gif
Views:	150
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	18054  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kent, I need to remind myself to take a photo of the grab handles on Airsteam One. As it was made by the commercial side of AS they had in mind that lots of folks would be getting in and out of the funeral coach. So they installed some very nice, very heavy, chrome grab rails. I use them all the time. I think you'll see the benefit when I post the photos. They're on both sides of the door, inside, but don't seem intrusive to me. My customers have even noticed so they do work. I'll try to remember to shoot pics for you tomorrow.
You could call me and remind me....888-844-2322.
I'll be working on my new silver streak.... 1987 Allante'...silver of course... only partly aluminum though.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I went through my wish list for the one project that had to be done before spring and the entrance door was staring at me.
Here is the problem. I use it as a handle/aide to pull myself up into Chummy when entering. My left leg is weak and gives out, thus I need the support on the right side to help me up. I have looked into handles but they mount on the wrong side plus they do not make handles large enough for our rounded bodies (Chummy's not mine.) Last summer my son and I removed the door and put in heavier bolts, then re-aligned it. the fix lasted about five walk ins. The problem lies in the hinges, mostly in the screen door which is very flimsy.
Any suggestions from the great minds out there?
I have sort of the same problem, although my 350 has a large and sturdy handle (with a doorbell) on the left which gets me in/out without much problem. I don't think that a handle on the door (or on the screen door) is feasible, or will be successfull.

You might want to look at a wooden (teak) handles as used on cabin tops in sailboats for handholds. They can be modified to the radius of the AS curve and screwed on from the inside with proper backing, making them strong enough to chin yourself on, and can be finished as you like. If left unfinished, they will turn--dare I say it?--silver/gray!!

Just a thought.

Rob Alley
1991 AS 350
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
You might want to look at a wooden (teak) handles as used on cabin tops in sailboats for handholds. They can be modified to the radius of the AS curve and screwed on from the inside with proper backing, making them strong enough to chin yourself on, and can be finished as you like. If left unfinished, they will turn--dare I say it?--silver/gray!!

Just a thought.

Rob Alley
1991 AS 350
What a marvelous idea. I do have a small handle on the left side but this would allow me to replace it with a giant handle. Thank-you very much I will visit a boat yard today.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Handles

Once you figure out what you want, have a look at the marine catalog sales suppliers--Boater's world, West Marine, etc. They might be cheaper, although perhaps not enough to make a difference. I have seen some airstreams with these sorts of hand-holds mounted on the side of the cabinetry inside near the door to provide a short railing.

Best,

Rob Alley
1991 AS 350
Presently snowed in.
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you want heavier hinges, check Austin Hardware. They make hinges for walk-in refrigerators and refrigerated trailers.
http://www.austinhardware.com/dept.asp?dept_id=1

They have an office in Minneapolis.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote