Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2018, 12:53 AM   #21
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Should have mentioned: Found a lot of acorn pieces in out of the way places, which would be the product of mice presumably? Under the sofa, under the dinette, almost entirely in the front portion.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm using foam & stainless pads to close the holes.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Squirrels maybe? They can wiggle through some pretty small holes, as our attic can testify to!

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Should have mentioned: Found a lot of acorn pieces in out of the way places, which would be the product of mice presumably? Under the sofa, under the dinette, almost entirely in the front portion.

No, definitely not mice. You have squirrels. The smallest rodent, maybe rats. But mice are very unlikely to be able to bit through acorns.

I would suggest sprinkling flour beneath each opening to see if they are going in and out. Because if you can seal the holes when they are out, so much the better. Or maybe borrow a cat or two. We have not had mice ever since Chibi and KatyCat took up residence some years back.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Steel wool will rust and make a mess
Copper will too, but much slower

Regarding spiders, let me know if you find anything!

I've heard tales of some chemical back in the 50s that has since been outlawed decades ago, but my relatives in texas simply put a bottle of it in the outdoor shed, cap on mind you, and not a single bug ever ventured in.
I forgot to tell you, I repel spiders with a spray I make. 8oz 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, 3 to 4oz of peppermint oil. It’s HELLA STRONG! Do not let this blow back in your face; do not use more than a single pump in any small space to begin; if it gets on your hands wash immediately before you accidentally touch your eyes. I have a little house, 600-800 sq ft? I use a spray in each corner of the room, 2 rooms plus a bathroom, open up to air, and go outside for a couple hours. It’s a nice clean smell, invigorating really.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post

Chipmunks, high probability!
They leave maple tree "twirly" seeds on my gas tank and they chewed through my fuel return line at the engine end as shown in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...nt-180599.html

Inspect your rubber lines for gnaw marks. I set out a no kill trap and caught over 10 of them in our yard in the spring. Fall is coming, and they will be looking for a winter home!

Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Critter prevention 350LE

As I work on plugging the various entry pathways od some of the most athletic mice in existence who are gradually stripping my 350LE of any and all pink insulation, I've reverted to the age-old treatment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_090016.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	322150  
chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
lol....I used to use those myself.....had a body count of at least 3 a day....I live in the woods....finally got my act together and blocked all the holes with new aluminum and bought 2 electronic repellers for each Airstream and fixed the problem....I'll keep my fingers crossed but it's been a year and no problems....Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Rodent control

Interesting to note your use of electronic repellers as I had heard that they are largely ineffective?
Also, steel wool to plug holes and furnace openings work great until it rusts so, either stainless steel pads or copper mesh is indeed the way to go. No carcasses so far but here's hoping!
chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote