Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Crap in the gas tank 345

Hi, I have a 1989 345. I have had to change all my gas filters many times. A mechanic said I may have sugar in the tank. Is there some way to flush the tank without removing it?
Looks like a major job if I have to remove it. Any suggestions?
OttawaValleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida
I doubt you have sugar in the tank, but i guess its possible. Sugar in the tank would more than likely have destroyed things by now: ie fuel pump,carb or Injectors, Engine from leaning out too much. We are having problems around the state here from the ethonol blended fuels. If the stations didn't suck the tanks dry before filling with the blended fuel the alcohol in the fuel attaches to the water in bottom of the station tanks and gets pumped right on in to the vehicles tank. Unless theres a drain in the tank the only way to flush properly is to remove the tank. Also check your fuel lines for deterioration. Another thing is the veh fuel injected or run on a electric fuel pump, have seen electric fuel pumps start to come apart on the inside and fill the filters with crap. As with most motor homes i've seen, most have low miles( sits alot),sitting with out a full tank of fuel and with out some kind of fuel stabilizer will cause build up of condensation in the tank: ie water, which will rust inside metal fuel tanks and lines and fill fuel filters with crap. After you have got it all cleaned out and the veh going to sit for extended months I suggest filling tank(s) full and adding fuel stabilizer to keep fuel fresh for next run.On the sugar thing, look into the filler neck, most of the sugar jobs I've done in the past fuel vapors chrystalize the suger into globs in the filler neck and not much gets into tank.
69AmbassFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Hello, I purchased a fuel filter from Auto Zone sme time ago, I had alot of problems with dirt in my float bowl, even after this purchase. It turned out that both fuel filters came apart on the inside. The gluse used to make them deterorated with fuel. ( go figure) I then changed it to a NAPA brand and also added a fuel filter right before the carb. This fixed the problem although I had to change the filter a few times. I also got to see first hand what was cloging my carb. You might also try to syphon the tank and see what comes out?? try to get the hose at the bottim and use a larger hose like a garden hose to get a good draw. Just things I have done. Good Luck
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I've had to replace all 3 fuel pumps in my truck, as well as the fuel pump in Marie's van, because of the ethanol in the fuel. The ethanol will attract any moisture in the system, as well as any trash lying around in the system. The ethanol will also dry out the seals and plastic in the fuel system.