Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #1

controller for tag axel brake

Our brakes on the tag axel do not function. The contoller seems to have gone. It is a weathertronic by tekonsha. We have an 1988 airstream 345 classic motorhome. When we contacted airstream they told us to contact tekonsha as the weathertronic was discontinued. We cannot get an answer from tekonsha. We have come to a brick wall. Where do we go next?????? Help.
lorcaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcaweb
Our brakes on the tag axel do not function. The contoller seems to have gone. It is a weathertronic by tekonsha. We have an 1988 airstream 345 classic motorhome. When we contacted airstream they told us to contact tekonsha as the weathertronic was discontinued. We cannot get an answer from tekonsha. We have come to a brick wall. Where do we go next?????? Help.
Why not just get a trailer brake controller? After adjusting it so the brakes work without locking up, you should be in good shape. I have a Sentinel by Tekonsha, it was reasonably priced, and reliable. Since all you are doing is running your tag axle with it, you don't need the sophistication of the Prodigy. Wiring on your tag axle is the same as a trailer brake controller.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcaweb
Our brakes on the tag axel do not function. The contoller seems to have gone.....

If you are sure the controller is toast, just replace it with any conventional controller.

Have you run an operations test under actual braking conditions?

The controller is a "pendulum" type, that requires both electric AND decelleration indications to send an electric signal to the brake tag.

Make sure the controller is is not sending a signal before you replace it.

The controller is located at the base of the steering stalk - and not easy to get to - the output wires on mine are black and white. The wires are routed through the engine bay, just to the driver's side of the dog house, on their way rearward to the tag brakes. I would tie into the output wires in the vicinity of the controller with a voltmeter, and then take the 345 for a test ride and observe the controller output under various braking scenarios. This is a two person test - one to drive, and one to watch the voltmeter.

There is a control knob on the controller to adjust voltage to the tags - again, not easy to find, nor to get to.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
Airstream Dealer

Austin , Texas
Hi from Texas,

Just to let you know, if your looking for any Airstream parts, we are a certified AS dealer outside of Austin and can find you parts if we don't already have them in stock. PM me and I will search for the part.

Gretchen
gwighaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I agree with the test 87MH outlined. Also, not to be nosey, but what is the behavior of the tags? In other words, how do you know they stopped working? I found the wires had broken on both of my 345's electric brakes. I ended up going all out, getting the drums machined, replacing the shoes and magnets, bearing, etc. They work great now.

Just seems like the wearable/weather exposed parts might be a good place to look if the controller is in fact putting out voltage while decelerating.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Oh yeah - welcome to the forums - fellow 345 owner!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote