Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Classic Values

We really love our 95 360 Classic diesel pusher but may be faced with a hard decision soon. I found a very nice piece of retirement property. 80 acres with lake and river frontage. And near family back in Michigan.

It's in very nice condition and there are several pictures and more information in the registration section.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f526...her-83399.html

It's in covered storage and other that antifreeze in the water system ready for our first spring trip.

Right now I'm just trying to get a gut feel for what it's worth if I need to recover some cash for it. I saw one sell quickly for about $25K in the AF classifieds a few months ago. I had a real nice restored one offered to me for $90K when I was looking last spring. Seems like they get listed for the mid 30s. NADA says they are worth about $25K + options. This one has everything available at the time. I paid too much for it on an impulse as they come available quite rarely and others were trying to work a deal on it. I expect I will loose money on it and am not looking for offers. I'll list it when and if I need to sell.

So, given the economy, fuel costs, and interest in Cassic Airstreams, what do you think I could realistically get for it?
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Now that is nice. I would even consider moving up to a motorhome for that. Then I could hang around with Mike Leary )here on the Forums.)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Dakota,

I've thought about buying a Classic Pusher on a couple of occasions. Assuming you've driven a front engined Classic, would you mind describing the major differences, pros/cons, etc. I've always been intrigued by the bigger Cummins motor, with Banks upgrade, with the thought of pulling a trailer in mind. Thanks.

Charly.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Hi Dakota,

I've thought about buying a Classic Pusher on a couple of occasions. Assuming you've driven a front engined Classic, would you mind describing the major differences, pros/cons, etc. I've always been intrigued by the bigger Cummins motor, with Banks upgrade, with the thought of pulling a trailer in mind. Thanks.

Charly.
I've never driven a front engine classic but the first MH I rented was a class C from RV America. It had a big overhanging sleeping area above the cab. Visibility was really lousy and It got gallons per mile. The second one was a Class A with a V10 triton up front for a 3 week tour of Alaska. It waddled down the road like a duck, the engine roar was deafening, and it had a lousy layout. If you weren't in one of the front 2 seats you sat in a couch looking at the galley. (there were 4 of us as we took my parents).

I started looking at used class As and after test driving a rear engine was sold. There is much less noise up front and they just have a great feel to them. I drove an Allegro, Winnebago, and one other that I can not remember. All late 90s 34-36 footers with slideouts. All had the Cummins 5.9 and Allison transmission. Power was adequate but not overwhelming and the Allison 6 speed auto shifts beautifully. We had always wanted an Airstream trailer and after seeing a 345, I thought I'd look int them. Fred's AS archive site had pictures of a beautiful 360 Classic pusher and I started looking. Did a bunch of research and started looking. The guy with the one pictured on Fred's site called and offered me his for $90K. Gulp! So much for that dream. Then a nice looking one poped up on an all Craig's list search. Went out and test drove it. It was a magnitude superior to any of the others I had driven. Good power, nice ride, and great handling. The most impressive thing was the spacious feeling do to all of those big windows. It felt more spacious than ones with slides. I loved the rear bedroom and wrap around windows compared to the dungion like bedrooms of plastic box class A's. Slides are nice but introduce a whole bunch of weight, complexity, leaks, and noise.

To the best of my knowlege and research AS only offered Classic pushers on Spartan EC2000 chassis. The Economy chassis they sellected comes with leaf springs front and rear. It rides and handles fine but I wish it had airbags. I only complain when you get on some of those endless roads with plate rattling expansion joints every 20 feet. I've looked into converting it using Reyco Granning systems and a HWH active air ride system. $$$ and I dont know if it possilbe on this chassis. The frame rails are spaced wider than the EC2000 Mountain Master whidh comes with air ride. Still considering it if possible and I can find a salvaged truck or motorhome for the components. Spartan and Reyco Granning have not been very forthcomming with information.

It ran fine without the Banks and got about 13 mpg. I made the upgrade for two reasons. They run cleaner and I was about at the limit for Colorado diesel emmisions. It passed but was close. More uniform air flow and a much faster turbo spool up time. It greatly reduces that blast of black smoke when you start out and get on it under load. Banks claims about a 7% increase in economy that I can not verify yet. We did a late season trip driving it up to Estes Park. It pulled great. I did drive it from Seattle to Boulder without the Banks over the passes on 90 and through Yellowstone with no complaints on power. I did have to back down fro 70 mph across the hot Wyoming desert to keep the temp down. The Banks is susposed to help there too but have not had a chance to verify it on the road.

The second was a little more power to pull a toad through the Rocky mountains.

So that's was my criteria for buying one. The only reason I asked the value question is an opportunity to buy my retirement home. Nice isolated peice of land with water frontage. Perfect site for a log home, large shop, garden, hunting, fishing, and an endless supply of fire wood for heat. And 1200 miles closed to both our families.

Anyway, probably more information that you asked for.

Dave...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 061 (Large).jpg
Views:	414
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	148713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 153 (Large).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	148714  

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Dave,
I hope that you're able to sell for at least what you paid for your Motorhome. Heck, I'd go for that amount, as well as the cost of the Banks kit.
Good luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

albuquerque , New Mexico
Dakota - please PM me.
womenfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Dave,
I hope that you're able to sell for at least what you paid for your Motorhome. Heck, I'd go for that amount, as well as the cost of the Banks kit.
Good luck, Derek
Thanks, Depressed property values and historically low interest rates are making it hard not to buy now instead of about 5 years from now as planned.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I think that you can throw NADA out the window on this. We paid way over the NADA price when we bought our 310 the summer before last, like 2.5 times the NADA value.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hey Dave,

Thanks for a most articulate and objective review of your 360. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to put it all together. There's nothing better than to hear it from someone who has done it. Sounds like a great rig.
Maybe you'll get an offer that you can't refuse!

Best wishes.

Charly.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Dakota, thanks for the review. We've kicked around the idea of an Airstream diesel pusher as our retirement full-time coach. I like seeing your fuel economy numbers. That may be a factor in our eventual decision. The lack of air suspension may also enter into it.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Nada doesn't correctly price the rarer models; anyone who watches the actual sale prices for 250s/360s/good diesels can confirm this. I would think you should shoot for high 30s and then compromise. Good luck.
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Please PM me about your 360.
Thanks