Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #1041
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosspoluter View Post
I really really really REALLY want to go to this. BUT I’m just not comfortable with a 500 mile one-way trip in my airstream the way it is now. I’ve said before my comfort zone is about 100 150 miles away from where I live in Chicago but I’m thinking maybe me or my wife and I might take a trip out there and our car to visit you guys
I would love to meet all of you
Really would like to see your rigs, pick your brains, get the insight, ideas, and opinions of other like minded people
CLKIESER if your going, I’d still be willing to “chase” you up there
Grosspoluter,

We will be buzzing right through Chicago if you want to caravan, let me know.

Curt
SpiceStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #1042
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
I really really really REALLY want to go to this. BUT I’m just not comfortable with a 500 mile one-way trip in my airstream the way it is now. I’ve said before my comfort zone is about 100 150 miles away from where I live in Chicago but I’m thinking maybe me or my wife and I might take a trip out there and our car to visit you guys
I would love to meet all of you
Really would like to see your rigs, pick your brains, get the insight, ideas, and opinions of other like minded people
CLKIESER if your going, I’d still be willing to “chase” you up there

What is your biggest concern right now in driving the rig up to MI? Just curious.
I was the same way when I first got my 310TD.

If we were headed straight up to the get together from Champaign I would have suggested that we meet up near Chicago and caravan the rest of the way. But we are going to meander a bit and probably make a stop or two on the way up.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #1043
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
What is your biggest concern right now in driving the rig up to MI? Just curious.
I was the same way when I first got my 310TD.

If we were headed straight up to the get together from Champaign I would have suggested that we meet up near Chicago and caravan the rest of the way. But we are going to meander a bit and probably make a stop or two on the way up.

Mike
We would love to hook up with both of you and make a true spectacle of it.

Mike,
Do you know if you have any pictures of your rear shocks?
I did not look too close to see if I have any of the mounting apparatus, but I could always fabricate that.
I was under Sylvia over the weekend, and I have none.

Thanks again,
Curt
Old 03-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #1044
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Ok so my biggest concern...
2 years ago on a Wisconsin trip my 345 threw a belt and overheated and since then oil pressure isn’t what it used to be (but still with in the 10psi per 1000rpm range) the tow bill was $1500, I was pretty much broke for the rest of the year[emoji37]
Never quite figured out why the belt failed, it was a new belt (I’m afraid maybe my belts / Pulleys are not perfectly lined up)
Concern 2: my tag axel wheels have a negative camber to them, it used to be WAY worse, about a 4° negative camber and the top of the tire used to rub the frame rail I have since worked on them and got it down to a 1° negative camber tires no longer rub and I feel I can still make it better if I work on it in the next few weeks
IF I were still interested in caravaning up there when are you guys going to be coming through Chicagoland?
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #1045
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
2 years ago on a Wisconsin trip my 345 threw a belt and overheated and since then oil pressure isn’t what it used to be (but still with in the 10psi per 1000rpm range) the tow bill was $1500, I was pretty much broke for the rest of the year[emoji37]
Never quite figured out why the belt failed, it was a new belt (I’m afraid maybe my belts / Pulleys are not perfectly lined up)
Concern 2: my tag axel wheels have a negative camber to them, it used to be WAY worse, about a 4° negative camber and the top of the tire used to rub the frame rail I have since worked on them and got it down to a 1° negative camber tires no longer rub and I feel I can still make it better if I work on it in the next few weeks
IF I were still interested in caravaning up there when are you guys going to be coming through Chicagoland?
We aren't real sure what our schedule or route is going to be going up. But I think we are going to make 2-3 stops along the way just messing around. Check out some new parks probably in Wisconsin.

Hey Curt, do you have any recommendations on state parks up your way?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #1046
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Classic Motor home get together

Don’t know the price but there is a car ferry from Manitowoc to Ludington.

http://www.ssbadger.com/
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #1047
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Yeah, I’m not sure what the prices are but I actually looked into that
because the ferry docks at Ludington And Ludington is only about 50 miles from the campground
I believe it was six dollars a foot for RVs and they had some kind of special for passengers I think it was 110 for round-trip
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #1048
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
That was a problem I had when I bought the 370LE, when they replaced the engine in Florida, they put the brackets that hold the air pumps and alternator on reversed ......explains why I blew an alternator belt off every 200 miles on the way back home when I bought it ! The negative camber issue is most likely due to a tow job where the front end was lifted higher than it should have been forcing to much weight in the tag axle...,,easy to remedy by a frame shop. Regards,Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #1049
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
We are interested in bringing the 310 up to this! Can't make the whole thing, but we should be able to drive up Friday afternoon, we're only a couple hours away. Would love to see some more rigs!
Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 AM   #1050
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Yeah, I’m not sure what the prices are but I actually looked into that
because the ferry docks at Ludington And Ludington is only about 50 miles from the campground
I believe it was six dollars a foot for RVs and they had some kind of special for passengers I think it was 110 for round-trip
More like 75 miles.
The boat from Muskegon MI to Milwaukee is 2 hours faster.
LakeExpress.
Dingo Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #1051
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Quote:
We aren't real sure what our schedule or route is going to be going up. But I think we are going to make 2-3 stops along the way just messing around. Check out some new parks probably in Wisconsin.

Hey Curt, do you have any recommendations on state parks up your way?
Mike,
It depends upon your intended route and schedule.
One option would be, Harrington Beach State Park, Kohler-Andre State park, SS Badger Across the pond.
https://www.ssbadger.com/schedule-fares/
I just checked the rates and for the 5 of us and the 310, it would be $947.70 round trip, half that one way.

My personal advice would be to run North over Lake Michigan along Lake Superior over the Mackinac Bridge hug the shores of Lake Michigan down to the GTG.
This is one of the most incredible rides in the country, it is never super busy up there but at this time it will be really slow. I would recommend running Lake Superior as much as possible while in the UP, this stretch is absolutely incredible. Mackinac Island is an interesting place to blow a day. no cars allowed on the Island so rent a horse or bike and rip around, there is a fort with a nice bar overlooking the island and lake, it is an interesting place once you get out of the downtown fudge shop district. There are also fantastic parks all the way along Lake Michigan on the East side of Lake Michigan. I would say this will add at least a week or two to your trip depending upon how much you linger, but I do not think you would be disappointed. Parks/towns I would hit for sure are Pictured Rocks, Grand Marais, Whitefish Point, Soo Locks are interesting if you are into Locks, Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Hope that helps.
Curt
Old 03-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #1052
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
GREAT information Curt. We are still deciding if we want to go up and over or take the east side of the lake. It will be fun either way. Lynn grew up vacationing in Wisconsin but Ive only been up that way a couple times. Her grandparents had rental cabins up in Fish Creek I think. Really looking forward to the trip.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:57 AM   #1053
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
I had the same problem with flat belt. First thing I dd after I bought 'Silver Bullet' was all new belts. It kept throwing it off the alternator. And like you said, got one on 'just right' and it stayed on.
Jump forward to when I rebuilt the 454. Deleted the smog pumps and could not keep the flat belt on. Go about 18 miles and the belt came off and was trashed. Couldn't see it to see the pulley alignment. Had to take the grille, radiator,..... out and then could see how cocked the alternator pulley was. Went to a junk yard and found a pre-smog pump alternator bracket. Took it to the desk and, "$45" Told him I could get a brand new chrome plated one of $15. Left him with his $45 bracket and bought one from 'Summit Racing' for $17.
Problem solved.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #1054
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1976 28' Argosy 28
Sturgeon Bay , Wisconsin
Quote:
GREAT information Curt. We are still deciding if we want to go up and over or take the east side of the lake. It will be fun either way. Lynn grew up vacationing in Wisconsin but Ive only been up that way a couple times. Her grandparents had rental cabins up in Fish Creek I think. Really looking forward to the trip.
If you can't make that trip your welcome come join our 76 Argosy June 21-23 for our Rollingrivet Rally in Door County.
At Countryside Motel and RV sites
Rollingrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #1055
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Quote:
Mike,

Good news...you don't have to decide, run West on the Way Up and East on the way down or Vice Versa... you guys are Free to roam. If you scroll down a post or two, there is an interesting story. The people that own the Countryside Motel and RV sites in Sturgeon Bay, WI turned up when I was working roadside on Sylvia's broken Axle a couple years back LOL I do not think they thought I would get her back on the road :-)...Sturgeon Bay is the Start of Door County which is where Lynn's Grandparents had there cottages...small world!!! you could definitely tie Door County into the West Loop Route but you will have to leave soon if you want to properly cover all this ground.

See you soon,

Curt
Old 03-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #1056
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Dave, this is the route I have picked out......see any problems with it ???Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3791.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	306401
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #1057
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Talked it over with the boss today and we are going to head up along the east coast. Looks like there are several interesting state parks all along the coast. Now we just need to figure out which ones we want to hit. A whole bunch of choices. I think we will make our first stop at Indiana Dunes, Ive heard good things about that park.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #1058
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Dave, this is the route I have picked out......see any problems with it ???Attachment 306401

Canada route looks good. Cleveland is a demolition derby on 90. I’d avoid that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2714.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	306402

A return route north across the bridge and back through Canada would be really nice
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #1059
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just one problem....the Canadian government is thinking of instituting a reciprocal tariff on U.S aluminum coming into Canada of 30% (it's an exchange thing). The tax on Bob's 370 could be substantial.

When the boss gets back from Arizona, and I have had a chance to settle into my new job, we will make a decision as to wether we're coming or not; hopeful.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #1060

2000 34' Limited S/O
Elk City , Idaho
Newbie here..

I may be posting in the wrong area but I received an email from someone starting an airstream slide out owners club. Apparently they are a rare a trailer and I'm wanting to learn more about what I have and how to go about possibly letting it go to a good home.

Thanks in advance.
pamplin85 is offline   Reply With Quote