Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #1141
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
ViewRVs's Avatar
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,226
Images: 9
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Let me clarify a few things on the Argosy 20 units.

Underneath the raised floor is the 4k generator. The frame for the generator box is a steel frame.

Both of the Roto-Dinette seats have (lap) seat belts that bolt down into the steel frame. Each bench has two seat belts. There is a slot in the fold of the bench where the belts slide through.

Here is a blog post I did with the Roto-Dinette arrangements.
The Airstream Argosy Roto-Dinette! | ViewRVs.com RV Blog

Each Roto-dinette seat has a very heavy steel frame and drops into a steel post also bolted to that steel frame.

The main disadvantage to the Roto-Dinette is the lack of head and neck support in the event of an accident.

Yes, the Roto-Dinette is a factory creation and not a custom solution.

Like every RV model and floorplan, each person has their own needs/preferences and thus a favorite. While some may not like it, this floorplan gives you lots of options in a very small space. The Argosy 20 can also go just about anywhere.
__________________

__________________
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
Fred's Airstream Archives @ ViewRVs.com
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #1142
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewRVs View Post
Let me clarify a few things on the Argosy 20 units.

Underneath the raised floor is the 4k generator. The frame for the generator box is a steel frame.

Both of the Roto-Dinette seats have (lap) seat belts that bolt down into the steel frame. Each bench has two seat belts. There is a slot in the fold of the bench where the belts slide through.

Here is a blog post I did with the Roto-Dinette arrangements.
The Airstream Argosy Roto-Dinette! | ViewRVs.com RV Blog

Each Roto-dinette seat has a very heavy steel frame and drops into a steel post also bolted to that steel frame.

The main disadvantage to the Roto-Dinette is the lack of head and neck support in the event of an accident.

Yes, the Roto-Dinette is a factory creation and not a custom solution.

Like every RV model and floorplan, each person has their own needs/preferences and thus a favorite. While some may not like it, this floorplan gives you lots of options in a very small space. The Argosy 20 can also go just about anywhere.
Fred... thanks for that. That's a great set of photos in your link, and you've just about changed my mind! Now I see the logic behind the floorplan.

The only thing that would still give me some reservations is the big drop alongside that raised floor on the right side. If the raised floor continued across the unit to just for'ard of the door, then that would make more sense, but then I suppose there would be a very low ceiling.

If I found one in that kind of shape it would be hard to resist though.
__________________

__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #1143
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I think Martin's hanging around the Appalachian Mountains a bit too much as is a bit more redneck than he's letting on, as I could see him saying, "Dang it! I juss not building a bigger chicken coop to put it in.".

Cheers
Tony
Hey, I live right on the western edge of the Appalachian plateau! However I'm not a native of Kentucky but I DO like the people and the area

And yes there are some backwoods rednecks out there and they all have their ATVs.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #1144
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,826
....I was in BassPro looking at ATVs at the weekend; seems I have been rumbled!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #1145
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,006
Well, after living in the United States for a while it was bound to happen
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #1146
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
ViewRVs's Avatar
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,226
Images: 9
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Fred... thanks for that. That's a great set of photos in your link, and you've just about changed my mind! Now I see the logic behind the floorplan.

The only thing that would still give me some reservations is the big drop alongside that raised floor on the right side. If the raised floor continued across the unit to just for'ard of the door, then that would make more sense, but then I suppose there would be a very low ceiling.

If I found one in that kind of shape it would be hard to resist though.
What you are missing is that there is also storage UNDER the couch (three large pull out trays) and under the Roto-Dinette (since the generator box does not take up the entire space. If you built the floor straight across, you'd lose both valuable storage spaces. Airstream used almost every square inch of the Argosy 20. Every space has a purpose!
__________________
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
Fred's Airstream Archives @ ViewRVs.com
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #1147
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewRVs View Post
What you are missing is that there is also storage UNDER the couch (three large pull out trays) and under the Roto-Dinette (since the generator box does not take up the entire space. If you built the floor straight across, you'd lose both valuable storage spaces. Airstream used almost every square inch of the Argosy 20. Every space has a purpose!
Is the access to the generator on the inside or the outside of the vehicle? I have seen pictures of this configuration, I believe, but not noticed an outside door or drawer.

Was it only the 24' Argosies that had the generator in the rear on sliders?
__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #1148
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Is the access to the generator on the inside or the outside of the vehicle? I have seen pictures of this configuration, I believe, but not noticed an outside door or drawer.

Was it only the 24' Argosies that had the generator in the rear on sliders?
It's more down to layout than size....rear-baths have generators to the side, rear-beds tend to have generators in the rear; and later models have slides.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #1149
Rivet Master
 
Gregsch's Avatar
 
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 528
I love that roto dinette, where can I get one?
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #1150
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
There appears to be half a dozen or so 345 up for sale at the moment; and with the Giants not playing until tomorrow I couldn't help but let my imagination wander for 5mins...

So "what would I do with a 345 if I bought one?"

5mins of Paintshop, moving stuff around, and guess what I came up with.



Sorry guys....couldn't help myself!
Martin, this sure looks like how your little Argosy looked before all of your window mods!
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #1151
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Martin, this sure looks like how your little Argosy looked before all of your window mods!
You got me Brad....actually apart from the vistaviews and the fact I still have the door window in my shed to install. They are pretty much the same.



But then so is yours!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #1152
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,006
Actually other than the awning it does look just like mine. Mine came from the factory with the window in the door.

I've got 4 or 5 vista view windows laying around so I might have to install one or two.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #1153
2 Rivet Member
 
1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Sacramento , California
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 52
1994 Land Yacht diesel for $6,000?! Cheap cheap cheap, if this is real.

94 Airstream Landyacht
Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #1154
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
1994 Land Yacht diesel for $6,000?! Cheap cheap cheap, if this is real.

94 Airstream Landyacht
Probably very real, and so is the roof problem, which no doubt has also migrated into walls.

This could be a good deal for Kota or someone with a 95-96 pusher Classic who has a rear engine Cummins/Allison set up for parts.

Everyone else.....run
Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #1155
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
That's going for the price of the drivetrain I would think. Not nice those LY roofs once failed.
__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #1156
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,805
By comparison

AIRSTREAM CUTTER 35 DIESEL PUSHER * FALL SPECIAL* | RVs, motorhomes | London | Kijiji

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #1157
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,572
Classic MoHos for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Probably very real, and so is the roof problem, which no doubt has also migrated into walls.



This could be a good deal for Kota or someone with a 95-96 pusher Classic who has a rear engine Cummins/Allison set up for parts.



Everyone else.....run

Cheers

Tony

I see deals like that pop up quite often. Be a good donor for someone wanting to convert a front engine. I would grab something like that if it was local. Getting it home and recycling the rest of it would be a lot of effort and expense.

The leveling system would be worth a bit also in parting it out. Generator, ac units, heaters...

Might be reyco granning air ride.

And you never know! You might've able to drive it home.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #1158
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
...Getting it home and recycling the rest of it would be a lot of effort and expense.
I guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt that there would be a lot of effort and expense. Been there, done that....twice

I don't plan on doing it again either
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #1159
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,826
It's only about twenty miles from me, but I can't think of a reason to even go have a look.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #1160
4 Rivet Member
 
SebasSF's Avatar
 
1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 457
Man, I would love some parts off that!
__________________

SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any 20ft Argosy Mohos out there? fabofabo Airstream Motorhome Forums 3 07-16-2004 03:06 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.