Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Santa Barbara , California
Chassis Batteries -- What do you have and why?

So, after a few long days of smelling what we *thought* was a foul, sewage smell, we found out that it was actually our chassis batteries cooking themselves. They're five years old, and now, FRIED (we just bought the coach). doh.

So now, we're in the market for new chassis batteries. The Optima's looked pretty good.. but not sure if the marine version would do for an RV..

Also looking at the Lifeline line, which seem to be pretty well reviewed.

What've you all got in your rigs? And how do you like them?
warrenivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I would suggest that you have your converter/charger checked. When batteries are "cooking" it usually isn't the battery's fault.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Replace your 12 volt converter immediately with a modern 3 stage converter. Also think about running 2 six volt batteries in series for 12 volts. I'm using Interstate 6 volt batts.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Don't feel too bad, Chassis Batteries lasting 5 years is not too bad!

Intellipower with the Charge Wizard is pretty popular, and a great charger.

I agree with Dadstoy on the double 6V Batteries, but you might need to have your Battery tray deepened...
Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenivan View Post
What've you all got in your rigs? And how do you like them?
To answer your question, we have a plain old wet-type marine deep cycle battery in our current trailer, same as we had in the last one, and have never had any trouble with it.

I have smelled the smell you describe when a failed battery charger/maintainer overcooked the battery in our riding lawn mower. When I walked into the barn I thought something had died in there. Turned out it had--only it was the battery, not an animal.

As others have already said, replace your converter/charger before you replace the batteries--that's most likely what fried them.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
@ DadsToy:

When you say immediately, does that mean we should not be using the motorhome's electric system at all (until we replace the converter)?

Right now, I've got the chassis batteries disconnected, but we're still in the coach using the electric (shore). Am I frying other stuff?

Also, do you have any recommendations for a newer/modern converter?

@ Everyone else: THANKS! Keep it coming!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Also worth noting that we've got a simple pair of solar panels that trickle charge the house batteries, and a newly installed BatteryMinder also keeping things charged up. Maybe the combination of all of them is creating extra problems?

We have been wanting to get a new converter, though. It's been very very noisy (under passenger side bed).
Old 10-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
I have a Freedom 2500 inverter/charger in mine it is nice if you plan on putting a big bank of golf cart batts or a larger bank of deep cycle batteries in (more then 400ah). I like it for a few reasons one it has a 130amp charger and I can run a table saw without starting my gen ;-)
It is the best one in the marine world and yes there are true sine inverters but thy dont last I have installed 20 of these and all but one are still in the boats I put them in. It will be the best $999.99 you ever spent .
Xantrex Freedom 2500 Watt Inverter - PPL Motor Homes
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
First, your converter/charger may not be the culprit, but if your budget allows, upgrading to a modern 3-stage type converter/charger will usually treat your batteries much better as it will automatically go into a 'float' mode to avoid overcharging...contact Randy at bestconverter.com - he's the expert and can suggest a replacement...

With older batteries, if one cell fails (internal short between plates), you now have a 10 volt battery, and the C/C then looks at it as an undercharged battery and 'pours the coal' to it try and bring it back up to a full charge - this high rate of charge soon 'boils' the fluid from the cells, causing that 'rotten egg' smell you experienced - let the battery cool down, wear safety glasses, and carefully unhook (avoid sparks that can ignite any hydrogen gas in the area) at least one cable at the battery...

As for replacements, yes the two 225 amp hr 6 volt deep cycle (golf cart type) batteries are a good choice for the coach...Lifeline's are great batteries, but VERY pricy...I'd avoid the Optimas as their amp hour rating is much lower than other 'rectangular' type batteries of the same size...

You may wish to simply replace the batteries with the same size, flooded cell, deep cycle batteries that fit in the compartment - nothing wrong with flooded cell batteries, they are much cheaper than the AGM types...You'll have to check the fluid level every few months though - BUT, with a new converter/charger, you'll find that you almost never have to top off the batteries!

Happy trails...
Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Quick note: Our Costco no longer sells Optima batteries. Auto tech does not know why, but says reliability dropped off after they moved manufacturing to Mexico a couple of years ago. I suspect the price difference between Kirkland (Costco's house brand) and Optimas may have reduce sales on the significantly more expensive Optima brand.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We bought 2 29 series AGMs to go with our 2 Kyocera 130 solar panels...a bit pricey, but maintenance free. With the 6 V, if you lose one cell, your system is down. Having said that, a golf cart seems to run for ever on 6 V. Compartment space will be a consideration, and other pluses for AGM is that they can be sideways or upside down without worry, and can be put inside the unit...we have the AGMs in the battery tray, but have reserved space behind the passenger seat for two more, when finances allow...not sure about a 280, but I know the 310 has a battery compartment in the floor as you enter the steps. LOTS of options out there, and LOTS of good advice. m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I replaced my converter with an Intelli-Power and I might have even gotten it from Bestconverter.com. My dad replaced bats more then he should have (I've got the old receipts). This was due to the original converter that Airstream used...still have that old thing sitting in the garage. The original is noisy like you say and this is what cooks your batteries. My six volt "golf cart" batteries are the same physical size as the old fashion large 12 volt batts, but like others have mentioned, check for space issues first. I replaced mine with Interstate batteries. Some Costco's carry six volt batts.

See my thread "DadsToy" for some of the electrical I have done.

You can run off of shore power with the old converter, just replace your converter before you spend good money on new batteries.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I have a freedom inverter sitting in my garage as well. My dad had it. I would have liked to put it in, but it's a much bigger job. Got to have space for it. Got to have probably more then two batteries. Batteries need to be located very close to inverter, again space issues. You also have to nstall it correctly with correct size cables, fuses, control panel, etc. Very costly and dangerous if not installed correctly. Not sure what I will ever do with mine.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
For the coach we have marine batteries in our MH and got them at Wall Mart.They fit right in and I like the idea of being able to replace one or both no matter where we are if needed. Our start battery has the same cranking power as whatever came in it new.

If your convertor turns out to be the culprit I also recommend BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. We purchased one from Randy a few years ago and have not had any battery issues since. Knock on wood. Call him for excellent advice.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Going to call Bestconverter and see what I can find out..

Best,

W
Old 11-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I sent Randy an email asking what converter to get for our 1984 310, here is what he said:

"Hi Steve,
The PowerMax Boondocker is our most popular and its a great unit. Also comes with a 3 year warranty. Probably the 60 amp model with a pair of batteries would be perfect.
PowerMax Converters
Thanks and let me know if I can help.
Randy"

So, I bought one and had it shipped to our son's in Texas, where the 310 is. Will be there in a couple of weeks to see if we can make it work.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
As someone new to all of the converter/inverters, am I about to open a can of worms when I ask, which amperage I would need to replace the Univolt? In the last post, the provided link has units that go from 35amp, all the way to 100amp, with several amperage models in between.
Which is the best? If I plan on boondocking a lot, does it really matter? Or if I have a lower amperage converter/inverter, in order for me to get the coach batteries fully charged off of the generator, will I need to run the generator longer because of the lower amperage?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Boondocking

crazeevw-

If you upgrade to better batteries, you should definitely upgrade to better charging systems, or you are wasting your money.

I made the mistake of getting a well-rated WFCO 3 stage charger and recently dumped it. When boondocking, you really need to have control over when you go into boost mode. It was frustrating with the WFCO to run my generator and only get a trickle charge. They don't like to go into boost mode.

We just installed an IntelliPower and tested the Charge Wizard function. It worked great, boosting right away.

Interesting thing is that you can only dump so many amps into the batteries once they are at a reasonable state of charge. I picked up the 45 amp charger for my 2 x 6 volt bank of 220 aH Lifelines and never saw over 35 amps when charging from 60% SOC (state of charge). My conclusion -- too large a charger is wasted if you don't run your batteries too low -- as you really shouldn't.

Also, definitely recommend LED lighting and a Trimetric monitor for boondocking.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
crazeevw-

If you upgrade to better batteries, you should definitely upgrade to better charging systems, or you are wasting your money.

I made the mistake of getting a well-rated WFCO 3 stage charger and recently dumped it. When boondocking, you really need to have control over when you go into boost mode. It was frustrating with the WFCO to run my generator and only get a trickle charge. They don't like to go into boost mode.

We just installed an IntelliPower and tested the Charge Wizard function. It worked great, boosting right away.

Interesting thing is that you can only dump so many amps into the batteries once they are at a reasonable state of charge. I picked up the 45 amp charger for my 2 x 6 volt bank of 220 aH Lifelines and never saw over 35 amps when charging from 60% SOC (state of charge). My conclusion -- too large a charger is wasted if you don't run your batteries too low -- as you really shouldn't.

Also, definitely recommend LED lighting and a Trimetric monitor for boondocking.

John
Ditto the above comment re. battery amperage acceptance. Take a look at the total amperage of your 12V fused circuits. Any converter above the total is also a waste....and maybe even a waste at that figure. It's rare you would have everything on all at once.

If it helps, my 07 Classic 30' had a 55 amp Parallax and I replaced it with a 55 AMP Iota. Plenty of capability for operating systems AND charging a depleted battery whether on shore power or Gennie. Also, the 55 amp unit draws a max 900 Watts, so if you want to stay with a 1000W generator, it works.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
The old beast has a 6500 gennie, so I guess I'm way over for recharging with the converter, but with gen on, able to run BOTH A/C's at same time, not just one when plugged into shore power.
Lots of 'little' things to learn, as most of my camping experience was with pop-up campers, none with battery, and VERY small SOB travel trailer. Huge learning curve for me. I'll get it all figured out in time. Still have over 9 years before retirement, as this moho is my retirement! In the meantime, a great way to spend my long weekends off, and vacations for the next 9 years.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote