Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
connelly springs , North Carolina
Mayco,
Your flooring looks great! I will be looking into this approach.
rustyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Hi Pete, In my 87 345 I was very suprised about that original shag pile carpet. The owner befor me had installed the plastic clip wooding floor in the front half.
So last week I pulled the plastic floor to find black mold an a bit off rot, it did not let your sub floor breath and dry out, I don't want to compromise floor with permanent dampness, your machine like any Airstream will spring a leak at some point in time or water will get spilt inside at sometime.Then it occurred to me that the horrid original shag pile carpet allowed water to wick back up allowing the sub floor to dry out. Many things you'll find installed in these vehicles were very well considered at time of manufacturer, so I'm very careful with any changes I make. For longevity reasons I pored down a water thin 2 pot epoxy all the way around the edges of the sub floor only about 6 inches from the wall, as once again that original center floor area can still breath, but the edges must remain rigid to the exterior alloy body.Its very fast job to pour 2 coats thinned 50% gets bit stinky for a day or so.
Then comes the choice off what to cover the floor with "Duno So Far" so this is a very interesting thread as you can tell by the responses.For Fire for Breath-ability for Warmth the sheet Cork makes sense to me as previously posted, I use some Persian Throw Rugs, a good spring clean sorts them out.
All the very best with your new machine.....Good hear off your choice.
Russ
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Luxury vinyl plank

http://www.karndean.com/en-gb/floors...ood/effect/oak

Is, in my view, the way to go.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
1978 31' Sovereign
2000 31' Land Yacht
Tampa , Florida
Plz help!
How do I get the carpet out? Do I have to remove the walls? The whole interior?
2000 land yacht motorhome 30'
candyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Fallon , Nevada
Exclamation Fire!

Synthetic (polymer) carpet also burns easily. The manufacturers apply fire retardant to it, so don't worry though about dieing in the fire; the gases given off from the fire retardant will kill you first.
I like real wool horse blankets underfoot.
Nobody's mentioned ceramic tile. Does it work well?
Scorge-ION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyk View Post
Plz help!
How do I get the carpet out? Do I have to remove the walls? The whole interior?
2000 land yacht motorhome 30'
There is no way to get the carpet out from under the walls so about all you can do is cut the carpet along the edges and put down whatever you want in it's place.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Yeah, all that I removed were the dinette chairs. It looks fine, you would never know there had been carpet unless you look under the couch or the kitchen cabinets.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
Mayco,
I love your floors but I have questions..
Did you glue it down? Did you use their sound reducer underlay? How long has it been down and do you still LOVE it?
I have contacted the company and I WANT THAT >)
Ginger
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Wood ,flooring, fake wood is actually best because real wood needs to be sanded and revarnished after a few years. Even more frequently when people don't wipe their feet at the door. You can sweep, vacuum, and clean it and it will actually BE CLEAN. Carpeting is NEVER clean. It's impossible to get all the sand and dirt out of it. Pet accidents? Oh god I don't even want to think about it. We have a wood floor at our house AND in our Airstream , I have a few inexpensive throw rugs on it, I have the option to either have them professionally cleaned, or just throw out. Somehow my Turbo doggie learned to have his occasional accident or vomit, on the tile or wood flooring, he never hit those throw rugs Thank God!

Think like this, would you wear the same piece of clothing for years on end and just brush the dirt off of it, maybe wash it every few years? That's what carpeting is like.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air83 View Post
Mayco,
I love your floors but I have questions..
Did you glue it down? Did you use their sound reducer underlay? How long has it been down and do you still LOVE it?
I have contacted the company and I WANT THAT >)
Ginger
Thanks Ginger. Most of it is floating, a few pieces are glued down around the edges and on the battery hatch cover.

I didn't use an underlayment, it had a foam pad of sorts adhered to the back side. I installed the floor a year or so ago and I don't remember an underlayment available at that time. Product may have changed now that it's been out for a bit.

We love it so far.....feels good on the feet, cleans with soap n water, sweeps up very easy, and we like the looks.

One warning, I really screwed up at the end of a work day one day and slid a metal tool box on the floor. I was tired and not thinking. It left a couple small scratches. So Ive just been more careful since....(and I switched to a plastic tool box)

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
northern IL , Illinois
Hello
What does everyone think about loop pile office carpet.
I find I drag in a lot of small rocks into the Mo.
Hans 34.5 is offline   Reply With Quote