Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Thanks for the Gast compressor. I did punch in the number but it wasn't recognised by the Gast website so I have e-mailed their tech dept to see if numbers have changed and hopefully they will send me some info on a suitable compressor.
It was in '99 that my Gast was installed, so I assume the number might have changed. You might tell them it was spec'd from Airstream. Dan is correct, you want a compressor that is capable of at least 110 psi. When you get the coach spic and span, come on down out of the winter to Ajo, AZ and visit us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0279bessob.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	172038   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0200dualmo:hos.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	172040  

Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Mike

Did a bit more digging and found a Gast ROA DC replacement, looks good but this has me drooling . I might replace my motor A/C (which doesn't work anyway) and is useless from what everyone has told me. SWEET.

EndlessAir Compressor

Thanks for the invite....woke up yesterday to find 1" of snow in my yard and the coach not winterized yet, ARRGH. Luckily for me it hadn't snowed where the coach was so I did the winterizing thing. Feel much better now.

Your coach looks in far better shape than mine I think.
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Your coach looks in far better shape than mine I think.
Given we've had Bess almost twenty years, she gets her wax three or four times a year (in between beer breaks). The old timer purists hate me, but I replaced my air bag system with Haldex levelers and got rid of the crappy switch in the rear compartment. The re-wiring for a modern hi-low switch was a challenge, but they work to this day, and the bags are easily adjusted.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
I forgot my circuit tester at home when I went to check this morning so I will double check tomorrow before work that I have 12V to the disconnected wire coming from the compressor spring switch. (here's hoping but I don't see why not).

As for the relay, thanks for the info but since I'm a cabinetmaker and not a rocket scientist, I'm having a bit of a head scratch on how to wire it in.
I have the hot 20A wire coming from the fuse block to the compressor activation switch in the aft compartment, right. When the switch detects air below a certain threshold it trips and starts to draw power from that hot wire. SO, to divert power draw from the fuse block to the batteries themselves I interupt that line in the aft compartment, just before the switch with a relay, with another line travelling to an inline fuse and then the batteries. SO when the switch trips, it starts to suck power from the line leading to the fuse block, tripping the relay, allowing for power to be drawn from the batteries directly through another fuse. Correct????

See link below and please suggest a possible relay. Thanks

relays continuous duty 12 volt & 24 volt DC power relays,starter relays

Please excuse my ignorance, but electricity, computers, wives and daughters are completely foreign alien beasts to me; although I have done all the electrical in my house and it hasn't burn't down yet, so there is hope.
Electricity is simple, just read some of the teachings of the Prince of Darkness, Mr. Lucas. Then you will understand all.

I would use this relay mainly because it was at the top of the list and has the key word, "continuous duty" which simply means you can operate it continuously without it overheating or failing.

15-132
SAS-4201
Your Cost
$35.50

The wiring is fairly simple, mount the relay as close to the battery as possible and connect a 10 ga. or better yet a 8 ga. wire from + battery to one of the large terminals on the relay. A fuse or circuit breaker would go in this wire. The other large terminal uses the same heavy ga. wire to the pressure switch at the compressor.

The 12 Volt wire that comes from the 20 amp fuse, the one you removed from the pressure switch, now goes on one of the small terminals on the relay. The other small terminal is connected to ground.

The relay is simply a heavy duty switch that is operated by a coil activating an electromagnetic plunger. The large terminals are the wires to the switch and the small terminals go to the coil that operates the switch. This coil is a very small electrical load. What you are doing is using the old compressor wire to operate this small coil and letting the relay do the heavy work operating the compressor. By the way the pressure switch by the compressor is also a type of relay operated by air pressure instead of a coil/electromagnetic plunger.

I hope this helps,

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Not sure if it is relevent for the 82/3, but my 84 has a GAST 2HBC compressor which looks original.

I cannot find the exact model on Gast's site, but it looks like it is rated at 2.1CFM and 100psi.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
It's interesting that it's powered through a relay, do you know if that is factory or an add on? If it's factory it certainly is an improvement over the 20 amp fuse in the fuse block used in the earlier coaches.

Cheers, Dan
Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Also interesting is they moved all the electricals into a dry compartment, rather than hanging them out to take moisture in the rear roadside fold-down. The compressor looks just like mine.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
For reference, my compressor is mounted under the vanity cabinet, just fwd of the rear curbside corner. Its not easily accessable, as it is behind a screwed on coverc
Who knows if it is as original...
From left to right, the componants are relay, pressure regulator, and on the right, the grey box against the wall is a pressure switch I think.

I think its a single piston unit, but I admit, I did not reach around the fwd side to check, but I will!

Judging by the stains on the floor, I don't think it is as dry as it should be Mike!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Interesting. It looks factory. Even more interesting is the 345 I dismantled is newer than Steve's 345 and my 345 did not have that relay. I don't know that the air compressor that was in the 345 is original or not. The installation looked factory but who knows.

One mistake I made when dismantling the 345 was not documenting the wiring for the compressor. To late now

Click image for larger version

Name:	86-345-air-compressor-installation.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	172128

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Judging by the stains on the floor, I don't think it is as dry as it should be Mike!
I saw that, too.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I saw that, too. Looks like that crappy (no offence) pressboard, as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Electricity is simple, just read some of the teachings of the Prince of Darkness, Mr. Lucas. Then you will understand all.

Cheers, Dan
Thanks Dan.....Yes the Prince of Darkness and I are well aquainted as we are both British and I have owned a 69 MG Midget (being 6'3 I had to put the top down, open the door to get in or out) a MGB GT (could fit as the coupe was taller than the convertibles) and a Rover 3500 V8. All three were well on there way to the great scrap heap in the sky when I owned them. The Prince had the electrics in knots long before I laid a hand on them.........I hate the Prince.

Thanks for the info on the relay and yes I did check if I had power to the pos lead to the compressor coming through the switch. It's hot which made me very happy. Now to choose a compressor......

Cheers Tony
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Now to choose a compressor....
Interesting how many of us are sons and daughters of the "Prince". I owned a 109 Land Rover, a Jag XK 150 and an E-Type; I know the warm beer joke!
You might PM Vinny (Airslide), he got a pretty cool compressor for Hans and Lili's mo/ho before it was shipped to the mother country.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It's kinda funny I totally forgot to add my wife's 1995 Jaguar XJS 2+2 convertible.......I guess because it's really a Ford product and uses Bosch and Denso electrics the Prince has been held to every once in a while fuffing up the power window switch; (who would place a window switch horizontaly in a convertible, ). A little WD and we're good.....until the next time.
Ironically the biggest of all the British cars I have owned....can't get in the bloody thing, have to lift the steering and wedge my foot pass the brake pedal, .....Could be I weigh quite a lot more than in my Midget days, LOL.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Thanks Dan.....Yes the Prince of Darkness and I are well aquainted as we are both British and I have owned a 69 MG Midget (being 6'3 I had to put the top down, open the door to get in or out) a MGB GT (could fit as the coupe was taller than the convertibles) and a Rover 3500 V8. All three were well on there way to the great scrap heap in the sky when I owned them. The Prince had the electrics in knots long before I laid a hand on them.........I hate the Prince.

Thanks for the info on the relay and yes I did check if I had power to the pos lead to the compressor coming through the switch. It's hot which made me very happy. Now to choose a compressor......

Cheers Tony
I knew there was something familiar about you. I have a real British sports car, a 1964 Midget with side curtains. None of that modern roll up window crap. Actually my Midget is very dependable, I drove it to work in downtown Los Angeles for several years. The only time it failed me was when I broke an axle. Many years ago I had a Jensen Healey which was a great little car. The electrics never failed me but the gas tank rusted out. I do have a series I XJ6 Jag and the distributer gave me so much trouble that I gave up and put a Mallory in it and solved the problem.

The compressor Airslide put in Tin Crumpet's moho was a Chinese copy of the Viair, get the real thing, they are great pumps. Also glad to hear you have power to the back, that save a lot of headaches.

If you look at Keyair's pictures you will see the same relay I recommended. The difference is the wire from the battery is always hot, if you put the relay near the battery that wire is only hot when the relay is energized. It's just one less chance for the Prince to raise his ugly head.

Cheers, Dan
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Hmm, I sense a trend here. I've had various Triumph sports cars since 1976. Started with a 63 Spitfire, then a 73 TR6, then back to a 64 Spitfire and now a 64 TR4. I like the TR4 the best. I've only gone a few adult years without owning a Triumph.

I am also well versed in Lucas and his quirks

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #37
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I knew there was something familiar about you. I have a real British sports car, a 1964 Midget with side curtains. None of that modern roll up window crap. Actually my Midget is very dependable, I drove it to work in downtown Los Angeles for several years. The only time it failed me was when I broke an axle. Many years ago I had a Jensen Healey which was a great little car. The electrics never failed me but the gas tank rusted out. I do have a series I XJ6 Jag and the distributer gave me so much trouble that I gave up and put a Mallory in it and solved the problem.
Cheers, Dan
I did love my midget, going 50 mph in the midget with your butt 4" off the tarmac feels like 100 mph in my Altima 3.5SE. Sadly in the early 80's you couldn't get MG parts like you can now.
SERIOUSLY!! a Series 1 Jag XJ6.....you're whips and chains kinda guy. A 1996 Jag XJ12 with coil over plug (only made one year) like the AJ16 motor in our XJS is my dream ride. May have to upgrade my Airstream tow hitch.

bkahler's right.....Freud would have a field day with us all...British tiny tin cans and American huge ones. Come to think of it I almost bought my doctors TR8........after the others, I'd had enough of duelling with the Prince of Darkness.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I'm not sure I want to admit this publicly but at one time we probably had 20+ Triumphs stashed at various places on our property in Arkansas. When we moved from Arkansas to Kentucky a few years ago I was able to whittle the herd down to 9 and since we've been here the herd is now at 5 with the probability that we will be down to 2 sometime next year.

Anyone have Freud's number?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
I did love my midget, going 50 mph in the midget with your butt 4" off the tarmac feels like 100 mph in my Altima 3.5SE. Sadly in the early 80's you couldn't get MG parts like you can now.
SERIOUSLY!! a Series 1 Jag XJ6.....you're whips and chains kinda guy. A 1996 Jag XJ12 with coil over plug (only made one year) like the AJ16 motor in our XJS is my dream ride. May have to upgrade my Airstream tow hitch.

bkahler's right.....Freud would have a field day with us all...British tiny tin cans and American huge ones. Come to think of it I almost bought my doctors TR8........after the others, I'd had enough of duelling with the Prince of Darkness.
The other thing I really like about my Midget is I can race, pedal to the metal way from every stop light and never get a ticket. The little 1098 at 53 hp doesn't plant you in the seat but you still have fun and 5000 rpm sounds pretty cool through the little 12" glass pac.

I had an old gear-head friend years ago and we determined the difference between the German (Mercedes) and British auto experience.

The Germans get it right, handling, braking, and speed all while you are sitting in your favorate recliner isolated from all things adverse.

The British kind of get you there but all the while your butt is really hanging out on the pavement.

German=boring British=FUN Airstream=boring with a bit of fun thrown in.

Cheers, Dan
Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #40
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I was lucky as my MG had the Cooper 1275 for an amazing 30 hp as at least 30 had escaped over the years.

You're right:
German--boring other than the 2002tti
British--fun other than a Morris Singer station wagon (my mom's first car)
Airstream 310 with air in the brake lines--boring with moments of sheer terror.