Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
Can not blow my horn

it happens once in a while,i check the fuse in the glove compartement and its o.k.i think it has something to do with the compresser ,but i forgot what to do to adjust,and solve the problem..i am on the rd...and parked right now near a airstream number 10379,the king you pull....and spotted another one on fl rt 75 going south,i am going north...any ideas as to how to get my horn to work????
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Martine, are you certain that you have 'air' horns on your Classic? Mine appear to be air horns but are actually electric horns, no compressor involved. Know that getting to roof is almost impossible for you while traveling. My only thought would be a loose wire on the roof next to the horns. Enjoy your travels back home. Be safe.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Ok, not that I can help you with your problem, but the thread title made me chuckle! You see, I was always taught that it is not appropriate for someone to toot his own horn....
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
ha ha!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw
Martine, are you certain that you have 'air' horns on your Classic? Mine appear to be air horns but are actually electric horns, no compressor involved. Know that getting to roof is almost impossible for you while traveling. My only thought would be a loose wire on the roof next to the horns. Enjoy your travels back home. Be safe.
Thanks, Derek
there are no exposed wires ..none...i still think its something to ajust on the compresser..will ask around the campground.am at little talbot..so lovely ..there is a bambi parked ,no truck ..no one there,it looks vert well kept.cheers.m
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
horn problem

Check under the hood for a loose wire under the air holding tank, mine is a white wire that comes unclipped and runs to a solenoid or a relay - not sure what it's really called

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Had the reverse happen to us...honking 'goodbye' at a rally, and it stuck...for about 20 seconds/hours...finally hit the button kinda hard in frustration or embarassment(the button didn't care) and it hasn't worked since...long way to a short point is it could be a contact or wire under the button.m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
i found the wire etc nothing is loose,i still think its something to do with the compresser..and ,but,i had to reconnect a wire for the turning signal the green one,probably shewed up by a ????and found another long loose wire,have no idea what its from..will have it all checked out when i get home ...thank you for your creative ideas...prefer to have it not work then have the problem michael and tracy had!!!!!!i am on my way to n.y...have to wait out sundays storm..do not like to drive in bad weather....and oh...the salt on the rd.....m
Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

"Can not blow my horn"

Also got hooked by the title.

No MH here but I've had air horns on my Burb's for years.

In our 95, because of how the compressor and tank were mounted in the engine compartment, there was a re-occurring problem, no workie when needed or stuck on when not.
It always turned out to be the air-valve switch,(solenoid), very similar to this one, it got so I kept a spare in the toolbox.
The set-up is in a better location in the 06,(dryer), and it's no longer a problem.

POI...that site has lots of other set-up's also.
Got my switch from JC Whit though.

Bob

FWIW..... after looking at the photo in your gallery, the question...are they actually "air horns"? You did say you found the compressor...right.?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
can not blow my horn

Bob,the compresser sits in the back in the last compartment under the bed..it sometimes goes on when i first turn on the engine after sitting there for a while,recently it has not ...i am not 100% sure they are air horns but,way back when the same problem occurred,this mecanic went to the compresser and adjusted something....and it worked,it could be electrical,as i said,when i get home i will check it out...thanks.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Martine,
I truly believe you have the electric 'air' horns. The compressor at rear of coach is for the rear suspension air bags. Still, not seeing for myself, I could be wrong.
My thoughts are that it could be your horn switch on the steering wheel.
How's your trip home so far? Derek
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
derek,thank you for asking,i have been waiting out the big snow storm that hit nort carolina& virginia in a campground in Santeen sc...i will leave today,but if rds are wet with salt or badly plowed i will pull off the rd and wait...somewhere..till it dries up...spotted several Bambies on their way south on 95 ...you are most probably right about the horn...m
Old 02-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Be safe whatever you do. Know that the North Carolina Welcome Station has a LARGE parking area if you make it that far. Worst part about snow storms in SC or NC is that they are not prepared with the proper vehicles to plow the roads. Since they don't really average much snow each year, that's understandable. Santee is a beautiful area though!
Derek
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Be safe whatever you do. Know that the North Carolina Welcome Station has a LARGE parking area if you make it that far. Worst part about snow storms in SC or NC is that they are not prepared with the proper vehicles to plow the roads. Since they don't really average much snow each year, that's understandable. Santee is a beautiful area though!
Derek

questions about how the horn works..looked all over the airstr.manuel,HORN is not even listed...at the garage just now while fixing the batteries problem,they put in a different horn,like a regular car horn...that will not do..i want to restore the original sound....is there maybe a defective part i can get from airstr.???but mostly would like to know how it works...seems to be connected to same fuse as radio...fuse say Horn.....its all so complicated!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Aftermarket horn...

"they put in a different horn,like a regular car horn...that will not do..i want to restore the original sound.."

Does it work when stock horn button is pushed?

If so you can wire a new horn thru the same relay.

On our Burb I used a Grover air horn from a fire truck. Wired thru an on/off switch under the dash to the flash to pass switch on the steering column and back to the solenoid on the pressure line for the horn.
The stock horns still work as designed.

The air compressor wired to an un-used switched 30a breaker at the under hood PDC, black box just below the horn.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08117.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	156466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08118.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	156467  

Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
thank you very much....photos help too....will pass the info on to the garage ....
Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
questions about how the horn works..looked all over the airstr.manuel,HORN is not even listed...at the garage just now while fixing the batteries problem,they put in a different horn,like a regular car horn...that will not do..i want to restore the original sound....is there maybe a defective part i can get from airstr.???but mostly would like to know how it works...seems to be connected to same fuse as radio...fuse say Horn.....its all so complicated!!!!
la nomade- Here's how the AIR Horn is set up on my 1990 345LE.

If your sitting in the driver seat and swing your left foot all the way left you'll hit the 'kick' panel carpeting. Behind this carpet you'll find an air/electric solenoid that has two air lines, one comes from from your air tank for rear suspension and other one goes to the roof mounted horn. Then two wires on it that go to a horn relay. So basically even the AIR horns are also part 'electric'.

On the AIR side of this solenoid they are famous for sticking either open or closed. When they stick open you can't stop the horn from blowing and when stick closed they wont allow the horn to blow. I would take mine apart and lubricate it but after having to do this twice I ended up buying a new one that has been OK for a while now. Condensation in air lines is hard on this valve that's inside the solenoid.

The electric side is fused for protection. On mine it's the same fuse as the cigarette lighter. Regardless, naturally if the fuse is blown, no horn. Finding what's blowing fuse will correct this.

If your problem is intermittant I'd look at this solenoid first. As Bob mentioned above they are more or less universal so you dont necessarily have to go to Airstream for the part. Any decent RV shop or auto part store should have one. Here's a pic. of mine.

Keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Horn Solenoid.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	157737  
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
that may be the answer,i will print this and give it to the garage,those picture are a great help,will bring the nomade to the shop mid may and will keep you posted.....they did fix the battery problem,and i put these disconector on them,so when not in use ,nothing drains them.i so want that horn sound back
often on the rd,children in passing cars ask me with a gesture to sound them and its very joyful
Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Chronic problem...

Those air valve solenoid's can be an ongoing problem.
On our 95 Burb I mounted the valve assembly close to the compressor in an area that allowed the condensation to pool around the plunger, required frequent disassembly cleaning and eventually replacement.
On the 06 it's mounted vertically & further from the compressor and tank, three years and no problems so far.

Bob
Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
i so want that horn sound back
often on the rd,children in passing cars ask me with a gesture to sound them and its very joyful
Agree......Reminds me of one time we were sitting at a red light when a motorcycle stopped next to us and the rider motioned to sound the horn. So I did, only to find it wouldn't stop. After maybe a minute the valve closed. It's funny now, not then though.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote