Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 30' Airstream 300
B , Louisiana
Unhappy Bummer

My wife and I was watching a little t.v. in Nancy the other day and a wasper came flyin up at us. It flew over towards the front of the coach and landed on the ceiling. My wife looked up at it and said is that a crack in the ceiling next to that wasp? And I looked up and sure as the world there was about a 8 to 10 inch crack in the plastic headliner. It wasn't there before. I had been gone for about 3 weeks on a family vacation. Only thing I can think of is that maybe it was caused by the temperature changes. We go from cold mornings to hot evenings nowadays. Has anyone experienced this kind of thing? How can I keep this crack from getting any bigger without creating an eyesore? Should I use some kind of rubberized adhesive. Can I put it on without disassembling? Bummer
jagcb750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

first stop the crack from getting worse

Drill an eigth inch hole at the end of the crack. All I can tell you is that it stopped my crack from cracking further.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi

The hole will stop the crack. Also put in a pop rivet to cover up the hole.
Russell at warm and sunny Tucson aZ.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Do not put a pop rivet in it. The rivet will stress the plastic as it expands and will lead to further cracks. A little latex caulk (of the right color) is the thing to use. Just a finger full of it wiped into the hole and then down the crack will bridge and minimize the appearence.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Well this post entertains me in 2 ways... i was in my 345 the other night and saw a wasp chilling inside my window blinds... i guess they are fans of airstreams as well, and i have a crack starting in the headliner in my bedroom area... will make sure i get a hole drilled.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 30' Airstream 300
B , Louisiana
Thanks for the advice to all who have posted. I will drill the 1/8 inch hole this weekend. I believe I may have some latex caulking, but if not I will find some. I hate when Nancy sustains damage of any kind.
jagcb750 is offline   Reply With Quote