Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Bought it - Classic 360 Diesel - Now what ?

OK, after flying across the continent and spending hours crawling all over a rare 1995 Classic 360 Diesel, I have agreed to purchase it and will pick it up next month.

I've already arranged to replace all its perished tires, and will arrange an oil change on it when I pick it up. Brakes on it are OK, and Air Conditioning and Genset are fully operational and appear healthy. Powertrain (remember this is the Cummins Turbo Diesel and Allison 6 speed tranny) was functioning well during a fairly lengthy test drive in the Arizona sun earlier this week. It only has 42000 miles on it, has been used fairly regularly until about 18 months ago, and was serviced only 2000 miles ago with replacement fuel filters and air filter. I consider myself very mechanically and electrically capable (and no doubt overconfident....) as I have diagnosed and resolved most issues with my current 345 by myself.

Now the fun part - what would any of you do in addition to what I've checked or mentioned above before heading across country from Arizona to Ontario with this coach? What tools or parts would you pack along? I will be flying back, so bringing most of my well-equipped shop is out! I have already planned for a voltmeter, a decent socket set and screwdriver set and will raid my repair kit in my current 345 for ideas (hose clamps, wire, connectors, misc bolts and screws, etc)

As crazy as flying from Ottawa to Phoenix and returning the next day was, I fear I may be embarking on an even crazier journey, that of ferrying it back home in a one week drive of approximately 2600 miles from a desert climate to the "great white North" !

Looking forward to your suggestions and comments, as I prepare for my second Airstream MoHO. (Anyone interested in a nice, well loved, 345......)

John
shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Dream Come True

Sounds so good.
Squeeze the coolant hoses and look for cracks. Remember: oil and water.
Bring plenty of money, sense of humor, lots of water and patience.
A good companion that will either do as instructed or one with more experience than you would be a real plus. Faith and Good Luck are two of my favorites.
How about papers to get it over the border?

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Fresh Diesel fuel and clean fuel filters are a Diesel's best friend. Low mileagse in this case measn lots of time sitting around with Diesel in the tank. From your description, thatwould be one of the very few things to worry about.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Good suggestions so far. I am going to try and pick up some spare hoses as the current ones looked OK during inspection but there was no record of replacement of them. A fresh tank of diesel should be good, it was only 1/4 full when I tested it so filling it up will provide fresh fuel.

Patience is something that I'll have to work on, I am trying to convince my wife to fly down with me for the trip back (the scenery in Arizona was spectacular !)

Paperwork for import is under control as I researched this before inspection and have previously imported a car. Of course each experience with the bureaucracy tends to bring new challenges!

Any other ideas for tools or other things to bring along? Anyone know of a good site on the web for more info on the Cummins turbo diesel and the Allison transmission? The transmission in particular is interesting given that it is electronically push button controlled. As a mechanical engineer I have an inherent mistrust of all things electric (or perhaps that is because of all the British cars I've owned with Lucas electrics....)

John
Old 03-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Great Find!

At 42K miles, the engine isn't even broken in yet!

I would contact Cummins and get a listing of their natioinal dealer network, along with the Allison/Detroit Diesel shops. This coulld be invaluable 'IF' you have a mechanical issue that you can't resolve.

I would also get the trans serviced BEFORE departure, and check the rear trans seals. My '98 Monaco Dynasty MoHo had issues there a few times.

Good luck on your trip!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I recently bought this little GPS navigator, a Garmin i5. Really love it for it's portability and ease of use. A siilar item might comein handy on a cross country trip, just for ease of mind and finding out what the next exit has to offer...
As far as tools go, I'd think that if you bring/buy a basic set of hand tools to keep in the coach, you will be fine. Most things US made can be either fixed with a 1/2in wrechn and a phillips screwdriver, or require an arsenal of special tools that you won't want to drag around anyway.
Oh, bring Duck tape.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can take a basic wrench and socket set with you, a couple of screwdrivers, a pair of pliers, and a hammer. More than that will probably be more than you will want to tackle in the field anyway.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Fishers , Indiana
Adding 3/4's of a tank of fresh diesel fuel IS NOT THE SAME AS FRESH FUEL! I would highly suggest having the fuel tank emptied, checked and then filled with fresh fuel. It is not a great experience to have fuel problems on the highway. I recently helped a fellow change his diesel fuel filters in a New Mexico rest area. He also had just purchased a low mieage unit that was only 5 or 6 years old but had sat around most of its life. He had changed the fuel filters and added more fuel. However, sludge/water/sediment in the tank plugged the new filters after only 500-600 miles. We changed the filters and got him going again so that he could get to the next dealer and flush the fuel system. This would not be a problem with a unit that has had several fills each year.

One last piece of advise. Take a friend on the trip. You probably will not have any problems. But, if you do, your wife may always remember them and not trust the MH in the future. The last thing you would want to hear is: "Tell me again why we had to travel 2600 miles to another country to buy this ..... .. ....". You have a great new unit, enjoy!!!!!!!
Wayne Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Congratulations! I always thought that would be the model (and engine) I would want if I were to go motor home. Next to a Provost, that is. Anyway, enjoy your trip home and many more in your new Airstream!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Some excellent suggestions that I had definitely not considered. I will certainly get the list of Cummins and Allison shops. Hand tools mentioned are pretty much what I had in mind.

Wayne, you are of course right about the potential fuel problems from a sitting unit. This rig did have new filters 2000 miles ago and has been used regularly, but only on shorter trips. At the very least you have convinced me to get some spare filters for the lines to have in the event that the fuel is contaminated but I will check into getting the entire system cleaned before departure.

The words of wisdom about taking a friend seem like very good advice (is this a voice of experience ?). As my wife is somewhat reluctant anyway, due to work and holiday constraints, this may be a much better way to proceed. I have an old friend who is in Winnipeg, who might like to join me for the road trip. On the other hand, my wife has tolerated years of bringing home oddball vehicles, some from up to a days drive away with a myriad of issues. This coach is definitely from further afield though, and your point is an excellent one !

John
Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Download all 40 episodes of theVAP for something to listen to on the way back.

Or to lull you to sleep when you're parked for the night stress out about what you're really doing,
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Cool ! I didn't even know about theVAP.

Thanks Tim!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Congrats On Getting The Last Of The Breed!!!! All Suggestions Are
Great....we Just Came Back From Arizona In Our 310. Be Sure To Find
Out Where The Fuel Filter(s?) Are & Carry Them On Board. With The
Cummins You Should Have No Problem Getting Them. Diesel Fuel
Seems To Be Getting Worse, I Swallowed One In New Mexico With
Only 4k Since The Change. Send Us A Photo We Can Drool Over.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Christmas Valley , Oregon
'95 M/h

Congrats! Sure you will like your motorhome. We have full-timed in ours for a year and a half, and love it! You can expect 10 - 12 miles to the gallon ( US ) . Good luck. Hope to see you on the road! Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions we might be able to help with. Diesel Phil and Sandra K.
Diesel Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadejo
(or perhaps that is because of all the British cars I've owned with Lucas electrics....)
John
Ha "Lucas...the Prince of Darkness!"

Have you considered stocking up on new tools.... Harbor Freight could ship all the new stuff you want/need to the seller for you. Then you can gently use them as you travel and import them without paying Canada Customs.

Check with others and see if the fuel tank has a bottom drain. It could be as easy to dump the old fuel as the P-30's are.

Do you belong to Good Sam or any other RV Club? Their roadside assistance could be worth the cost of admission. I use the CW President's Club roadside assistance as I'm on the road all the time. It pays for itself the first time that you need it.

Pictures, we want to see the pictures.... hope it was a great buy, oh and that the dollar is in as advantageous a position as possible for you.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
OK pictures ! I was so busy inspecting that I did not take that many. The drivers side exterior is pretty good, although the decals are suffering from the Arizona sun. The passenger side and front is suffering from lots of clear coat and decal peel so I have some significant polishing and refinishing ahead. At this point my 345's exterior is in better shape, but I see loads of potential with the new one, and perhaps most importantly it has no major dents or scars in the skin.

Interior is basically the same as the shots on Fred's airstream site. Leather loveseat on the right front, convertible couch on the left, leather dinette midships and North-South Queen bed at the back. One thing I really liked was the relatively easy access to the entire engine area after pulling the mattress off the bed. Sure beats working through what amounts to a trap door on the 345's. Hopefully no more skinned arms when working in the engine bay!

As far as price, I believe both the seller and I are content that the deal was fair. In the end these particular units are somewhat hard to value - there simply are not ,and very few sales to compare to.

I do have Good Sam roadside coverage and have thus far found it very effective in warding off problems (i.e. have not had to use it yet on my 345 !) The card will definitely be along for this trip !
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Lake Tomahawk , Wisconsin
Haven't found any mention of the year or price of the 345? Is it an LE, have pics?
William Ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice lookin rig! What's the inside lay out?
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
you are more than ready to take this trip .I would do it in a heart beat.ya got some tools,cash,you will be on the road!you wont have any problems you cant handle with that truck.That thing is built to travel.

have fun!

Doug
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Airstream Advise

Join Cummins Power Masters Road Club. This will give you a 10% discount on parts and repairs at Cummins facilities along with a national warranty. Power Service products will help you manage you fuel issues. Sounds like you have a great rig. If you ever decide to sell it let me know. Rodger 613-503-6446
Mobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote