Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
My question "What happens if plugged into shore power, generator off and the engine running"?

The only thing the generator is doing is providing 120VAC power to the Univolt same as plugged into shore power.

From your description anytime the Univolt has power "AND" the battery isolator input has power the chassis battery starts draining.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
reading all this makes me dizzy....how very complicated,having had battery problems myself i stay curious on the subject...now ,when parked i simply disconnect batteries so nothing can drain them....there should be a dictionary which can translate or explain all those different words ,like genset..univolt etc.....often obscure terms for those of us not electrically savy....but with the will to learn
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Wow what a weekend I had!!!! I started saturday morning by making more electrical adjusments, then starting the engine to see if anything was resolved. The only thing I found out was that my starter housing was cracked and around noon eventually failed. So jacked it up, removed front tire, spark plugs, header, and replaces starter. Finally got it back together around 10pm. Started again after Church on the original problem and I believe I've fixed it. I found another accessory tied into both the chassis and coach battery so I moved it all to the chassis battery. I then made sure ALL of the automotive related circuits were going through the chassis battery and ALL the coach related circuits went through the coach batteries. I then discovered a short in the red wire at the plug for the alternator so that it was charging sometimes, not charging sometimes. Also when I replaced the starter, I was sure to sleeve all the wiring in heat proof fiberglass conduit. I don't know if the loose starter was grounding out sometimes, or the two separate 12v systems being connected together through an accessory, or the short at the alternator plug, OR even some combination of all three was my problem. But i do believe it;s now operating as it should. Once again a sincere THANK-YOU to all of you who responded with your help. I couldn't have done it without you. I have been over this ole bus from end to end, and top to bottom during my complete restoration/upgrade. If there is ever anything I can be of help to all of you, please write. Kenneth
1987_345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The constant opening and closing of the battery tray door(slide) wore a hole in the insulation of our positive to solenoid cable(behind the steps, on the chassis frame)...a shocking revelation, as the worn spot wasn't visible from underneath the unit, but I was well-grounded in fact...duct tape, liberally applied, got me to a replacement...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote