Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2023, 10:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1981 28' Airstream 280
Lino Lakes , MN
Back up camera

I'm 1 year into renovating my 1981 280. I've gutted it and am now putting it back together. I'm not a big poster but I'm particularly happy with the back up camera I just installed. It's from Tadi Brothers and it blends in nicely. I didn't want one of those big black sheet metal looking things on the top of the rig. I mounted it just under the back window. It's got a good view for backing up to things and to see if anyone is driving behind you. I wired it to be on when the rig is running. It was easy to mount and run the cable because it's wide open inside. But even if it wasn't the cable would come through under the vanity and run along the driver side to the dash. Very doable.
I don't have any particular love for Tadi Brothers but it was the only place I found this chrome looking license plate camera.
https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-backup-camera Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5963.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	426793
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5961.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	426794  
Schreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:34 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1981 28' Airstream 280
Lino Lakes , MN
Sorry for the second attachment showing the generator door. I didn't intend it to be attached. I added the two quarter turn latches to the sides to hold it tight.
If your interested, I got them from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5GMYCM5...t_details&th=1
Old 01-12-2023, 04:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Cool looking rig! Most have a spare tire cover at the back, clean lines without that molded plastic panel

I’ve been at that stage of the project; wiring, subfloor water damage, seal the leaks, fix rivets (hopefully minimal)…hang in there[emoji6]

Will you reuse the original cabinets/furniture or plan to build from scratch?
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1981 28' Airstream 280
Lino Lakes , MN
DISCLAMER: My friends and family know not to ask me about the Airstream. Once I start, I can't stop.
I have a couple of extra rims so this rig may have had a spare. I just don't see enough structure back there to support a spare. IMO. Nothing worked, so I am replacing all appliances, water, propane tank and lines. Added Lithium battery, converter/inverter, Winegard TV antenna, and Maxair vents. The roof seems water tight now so I am holding off adding the white seal coat.
Replaced the seals on the windows. Opened the lower inside panels to help find the water leaks. Most of the leaks came from the rivets holding the rub rails on the outside. ALSO, check the fresh tank filler. It leaks into the tank. Yuk. I replaced all three tanks, that's when I noticed it.
We had the chairs, couch, panels, and valences reupholstered. $$$ but I think worth it.
I tried to repair the cracks in the uppers by the couch and dinette. Then repainted them. Sponge paint to try and match.
The kitchen upper was too cracked to repair so I made a new, larger, one out of plywood. Reusing the doors, lights, and control panel mount for all new controls.
I am making an all new kitchen lower and pantry. I am putting the microwave higher up next to the fridg. Adding a bunch of drawers under the stovetop. The original sink cleaned up nice enough to re-use. I'm not reinstalling the oem blender thing. It's cool but we don't have any attachments and I'd rather have the counter space. This spring I will install an all new bathroom. The main goal was to make a roomier shower. Ok, ok, I'll stop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5969.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	427119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5968.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	427120  

Old 01-17-2023, 06:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
That’s great, sounds like you are doing it right! Keep us up to date when you can, love to see your progress. I have transitioned to chassis stuff, transmission in the shop for a rebuild now…it’s a process not a project
Old 01-18-2023, 04:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Also, if you are using the original light covers…I have all my originals that I did not re-use. If any of yours are broken, let me know so we can get those replaced
Old 01-19-2023, 08:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1981 28' Airstream 280
Lino Lakes , MN
Only someone like you will appreciate this. I removed the light covers last winter and didn't break any. How can that be? I expected them to shatter like everything else plastic on the rig. I figured it was karma or something and that I better re-use them. That's my approach to the renovation. If it's original and it works I try to keep it.
What did you go with for lights?
The other funny thing is that the transmission on this rig is the only drive train component that I haven't had to touch yet. It seems solid but then I haven't driven it on any long hot trips yet. Take care.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
There was another member (Magnet18) who had a similar experience, all running well until it wasn’t. the transmission left him on the side of the road

Got me worked up enough to pull ours after about 10k miles last year

I like your approach to reuse what you can, but upgrade when possible. I put in puck lights down the center panel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2290.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	580.1 KB
ID:	427409  
Old 01-21-2023, 09:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1981 28' Airstream 280
Lino Lakes , MN
I almost went with puck lights. They look great in your RV. Both the 454 and transmission have 100k and 40 years on them. Well past the expected life of an 80's drivetrain. If we really like the rig when I'm done it might be worth it for us to replace them both. Diesel would be very nice.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:19 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
12v Cummins!

I dream of it as well, especially in the mountains