Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
anybody use Hendersons SuperSteer ???

Why SuperSteer® Steering Controls Work So Well

Straight bushings in standard bell cranks can’t be preloaded like a tapered roller bearing. This means a certain amount of clearance always allows play between the bushing and shaft.
The Difference: The SuperSteer® Bell Crank uses tapered roller bearings on a hi-strength steel shaft. It’s installed with a pre-load so it’s much tighter and allows far less wear.
Endurance Tested: A test proved these Bell Cranks 19% tighter than a set of rebuilt bell cranks with simple bushings. The high-quality tapered roller bearings remain tight with no lateral (side-to-side) or vertical movement after testing. The SuperSteer® unit outlasted the OEM unit many times over, which justifies its lifetime warranty.
Drivers Who Installed Them Are
Sold On SuperSteer®

After a SuperSteer® installation, one motorhome owner commented his motorhome steering control was much tighter and more responsive. More important, he felt considerably less fatigued after driving.
Bud Weisbrod has some choice
thoughts about bell cranks here
SuperSteer® increases motorhome steering control noticeably over stock OEM bell cranks.
Life-Long Warranty

These SuperSteer® Bell Cranks are warranted as long as you own your coach.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
Why SuperSteer® Steering Controls Work So Well

Straight bushings in standard bell cranks can’t be preloaded like a tapered roller bearing. This means a certain amount of clearance always allows play between the bushing and shaft.
The Difference: The SuperSteer® Bell Crank uses tapered roller bearings on a hi-strength steel shaft. It’s installed with a pre-load so it’s much tighter and allows far less wear.
Endurance Tested: A test proved these Bell Cranks 19% tighter than a set of rebuilt bell cranks with simple bushings. The high-quality tapered roller bearings remain tight with no lateral (side-to-side) or vertical movement after testing. The SuperSteer® unit outlasted the OEM unit many times over, which justifies its lifetime warranty.
Drivers Who Installed Them Are
Sold On SuperSteer®

After a SuperSteer® installation, one motorhome owner commented his motorhome steering control was much tighter and more responsive. More important, he felt considerably less fatigued after driving.
Bud Weisbrod has some choice
thoughts about bell cranks here
SuperSteer® increases motorhome steering control noticeably over stock OEM bell cranks.
Life-Long Warranty

These SuperSteer® Bell Cranks are warranted as long as you own your coach.
Hi John, I'm a little confused here. Are you posting an ad or asking a question?

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Asking a question ! I am taking the 345 into Columbus Monday and I see some posters visiting about Bell Crank Housings ??? so I did a search and came up with this Co SS. and I see that camping world sells them also ? My 89 only has 50,000 mile on her chassis so would these be worth the $$$ to install ? Has anyone done this ????
Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Asking a question ! I am taking the 345 into Columbus Monday and I see some posters visiting about Bell Crank Housings ??? so I did a search and came up with this Co SS. and I see that camping world sells them also ? My 89 only has 50,000 mile on her chassis so would these be worth the $$$ to install ? Has anyone done this ????
John,

I have one installed on the drivers side on our 310. When we bought our 310 the steering was so bad it was scary to drive. These things cost about $310 each to replace. Since there were so many bad components on our 310 I replaced the worst parts first. There is no doubt that the SS units are better than factory components. However I managed to find a shop that had replacement bushings and seals for the factory bell cranks. I bought enough to do our 310 and the Argosy.

I'm pretty sure the factory bell cranks are no longer available and the same for the bushings and seals, no longer available. The SS units are about the only option out there. Also the bell crank arms on driver and passenger side are no longer available. SS does re-manufacture these units, not cheap but they are about the only game in town.

I'm just glad someone is providing these important parts.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Thank You Brad, Yes, Just to find replacement parts is getting tough ! I can see that.

I am waiting for a call now from Columbus Brake and spring to see if I Need any new parts.

We should be coming down through Richmond Wed. afternoon, evening sometime Brad

John
Old 11-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Thank You Brad, Yes, Just to find replacement parts is getting tough ! I can see that.

I am waiting for a call now from Columbus Brake and spring to see if I Need any new parts.

We should be coming down through Richmond Wed. afternoon, evening sometime Brad

John
Keep your fingers crossed they don't find anything wrong.

We're heading to Texas for Thanksgiving sometime Wednesday. Depends on when we get off work and all that.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote