Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Antennas

I picked up XM before our last trip and really liked it. I was in a bit of a rush and couldn't find a good place to mount the antenna. I stuck it on top of the passenger side mirror to avoid drilling any holes. It worked great until we headed home (pointed West) in the northern lattitudes. (close to the Canadian border) The satellites were too low on the horizon and blocked by the roof.

Anyone tried mounting one inside of one of the marker lights? Totally concelled and easilly accesed wire routing. Might be a good place for the GPS antenna too.

Another question: Has anyone seen an external wifi antenna or maybe a repeater?
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You can buy a cheap WIFI ubs adapter that has a detachable antenna and use some mini-coax to extend it to an outside mounted antenna. It works for WIFI at most McDonalds and some other locations. Campgrounds usually do not spend a lot for their setups and do not provide a good signal in the parking areas. I have found you need a repeater. Usually just a 300 -700 mw Linksys router will do the job. You can buy a 1000 mw repeater for less that $100.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We use a Cradlepoint router that has served us well from the San Juan Mountains to the depths of the western Arizona desert...we use Verizon for mifi...the cradlepoint allows our close neighbors at a rally to use our hook-up, and we have an antenna that will extend usage up to 600 feet...it is a benefit most folks appreciate...the Cradlepoint is the real antenna, and can be purchased on-line...we got ours at 3G.Com...they were knowledgeable', and pretty darned competitive in price...a few quirks may first appear, and the password is usually the ending digits of the serial number on the particular unit...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You might try your XM antenna inside a fake marker light I suppose, but just sticking it on the top with some adhesive will never be noticed. As XM looks at a satellite in the Clark belt over the equator, it is sometimes blocked by steep, close mountains on the South side of your rig. That is why it is best to get it up high, so no other parts of your motorhome will add to the signal loss. Sirius satellites are much "higher" in the sky to the US, and twist in a figure 8 over the country, so they have a signal which does not get blocked by mountains as often. I have XM in my Toyota, and Sirius in my Jeep, and the difference in steep narrow mountain valleys is fairly significant. The programing is virtually identical, but the Sirius signal drops out less.

And I hate the company for their billing policies and issues, but we had another thread on that. LOL.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
The customer service does suck...

You should mount the antennae up high. Trees and mountians can block the signal, but you dont need your AS to contribute to the problem.

Spend the extra couple of bucks on Howard Stern. Will drive 99% of the world insane, but worth it
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
You might try your XM antenna inside a fake marker light I suppose, but just sticking it on the top with some adhesive will never be noticed. And I hate the company for their billing policies and issues, but we had another thread on that. LOL.
The antenna fits right in the middle marker light between the two bulbs. Very easy routing of the cable under the center windshield trim piece. Car Toys and Best buy couldn't explain why XM dropped out more often than Sirius. Salesman (sorry sales persons) at both places are basically clueless about the products they are peddeling. Seems to be the trend these days.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Pics please Dakota!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
Pics please Dakota!
I'm take some next week when I bring it back from the barn!