Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


View Poll Results: New Airstream Classic Motorhome - Would you buy one?
Yes 7 15.22%
No 34 73.91%
Yes, but I'd keep my old one as well 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
crazeevw's Avatar
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,700
Images: 28
Airstream - New Class A

to all Die-Hard Airstream Classic Motorhome owners. Given the chance, 'IF' Airstream would choose to re-enter the Motorhome market, would you buy a New Airstream Classic Motorhome?
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
gaiaenviro's Avatar
 
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
dripping springs , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 218
Yes
gaiaenviro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar
 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,891
I'm sure we couldn't afford one but I'd love to see it happen anyway. Plus, I'm all good with my '82 310TD
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Site Team

 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,664
Images: 59
Nope.

Airstream lacks the engineering expertise to design a modern motorized RV. They would outsource it to one of the other Thor units and you'd end up with a poor hybrid like the Cutter or Clipper.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Nope.

Airstream lacks the engineering expertise to design a modern motorized RV. They would outsource it to one of the other Thor units and you'd end up with a poor hybrid like the Cutter or Clipper.
Ditto.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,278
Images: 33
Heard they will be in the $300K plus range. So no I will not be buying one.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,723
Images: 51
No, not sure what I would do with a NEW Motorhome?????
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
bobmiller1's Avatar

 
2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,539
My 2007 396XL had a sticker price of $277,000.00 so I'm sure a 2018 would have a tariff of around $400,000.00 plus the DEF and all the emissions crap, so no thank you.Regards Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,211
I prefer the size of the older classic motorhome
If they did make a new one It would probably be large, and out of my price range anyway.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,930
A low profile coach with a large enough battery bank to power the electric motors for a 250 mile range and enough solar to recharge them over a two day stay in the sun would be an interesting addition to the RV MOHO world. And if it was shiny aluminum, that would be just perfect. And if it was as affordable as a 30 plus a TV, that would be relatively priceless. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,552
Interesting statistics so far. 12 No's and 2 Yes's.

I think that what this is saying is in general the owners of the Classic style motorhomes are more interested in buying cheap (relatively speaking of coarse!) and working on the coaches themselves rather than spending the big bucks and having someone else maintain their coach.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 17,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Nope.

Airstream lacks the engineering expertise to design a modern motorized RV. They would outsource it to one of the other Thor units and you'd end up with a poor hybrid like the Cutter or Clipper.
Ditto. With the roll out of the new Basecamp being fraught with so many embarrassing quality control and design issues, on such a simple trailer with limited appliances and systems, can you imagine Airstream designing and fabricating a new motor home?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #13
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-350LE's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,723
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Interesting statistics so far. 12 No's and 2 Yes's.

I think that what this is saying is in general the owners of the Classic style motorhomes are more interested in buying cheap (relatively speaking of coarse!) and working on the coaches themselves rather than spending the big bucks and having someone else maintain their coach.
Brad, you are speaking for many of us. I am not a fat cat who would buy a new Rig every few years AND I have way to many bad experiences with third party bad work, if I dare to take it somewhere. Doesn't sound like fun to me.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
jdalrymple's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,695
Tough room.

Unless one is employed by Airstream, I would supposed one's knowledge of their capabilities is purely speculative.

The Classic MHs were no better, or worse for that matter, than others of the time. As with the trailers, I don't see other brands of the same vintage still on the road. Remember, these coaches are at least 20 years old.

If Airstream chose to build a new Classic styled coach, I expect cost would limit sales to some degree, but who would have thought a travel trailer would fetch $150k. It takes some looking to to find a fifth wheel that is that spendy, but an AS can do it easily.

Airstream admits their faults in a market this is really quite poor in initial quality from all manufacturers. They are improving, but tough when every trailer manufactured is already
sold.


Would I buy one? Probably not. A coach is a neat way to travel, but not much different upon arrival. Towing something is not out of the picture. A driver of some kind is required. A four-down capable car must be chosen or modified and $3-5k more to prepare. Then managed, hooked up and unhooked.

For us, the motor home is fun but no handier than the trailer, which we find more versatile.


Regards,

JD
__________________
Jeff & Cindy
'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Sulphur , Oklahoma
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 54
It Would depend on the size and price for the size. Also the lay out. I'm not crazy about the flying cloud lay out
Dennisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
betteleal's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
las vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 20
New class a

Why are some people not allowed to vote?
betteleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
crazeevw's Avatar
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,700
Images: 28
not allowed to vote?

Since I'm the one who set up the poll, I did not set up any restrictions on who was able to vote, and who was not able to vote either. The only restriction was that the Poll was open for 45 days. I'll see if I can't check poll again.

I'll be honest as far as new Airstream Classic motorhome. If $$ were no object, and I could have some sort of input on floor plan layout, I would say yes to keeping old, and buying new. We all know that the ONLY gas chassis available is Ford F-53 chassis with the V-10 motor. My work truck has that motor with 6sp transmission. Of course, it's an empty box truck, with barely any weight in it except for mail and packages, so that thing will HAUL! 2017 model, with well over 300 hp. Now, with well over 16,000lbs of motorhome, I'm sure that it would slow down considerably. As far as diesel chassis, there aren't many options.
With THOR being parent of Airstream, I have a feeling that the Engineering of a Classic Motorhome would be 'farmed' out, but construction would be completed at Jackson Center. I truly believe Airstream would never again allow Cutter, Clipper models to be produced with an Airstream badge again.
If a Class A were to be produced it would most definitely be a wide-body aluminum model. Whether front engine gas, or rear engine diesel, I'm certain that would depend on how deep the pockets of the purchaser.
Feel certain that most Airstream Classic motorhomes were pre-sold to buyers. Seriously doubt that Airstream ever produced these models for 'spec' on a dealers lot. With production numbers around 20 to 30 a year, doesn't seem that 'spec' models were rampant.
Of course, now that it appears I'll be selling my home without wheels and moving into my Airstream by end of this year, doubtful I'll ever be able to afford a new Airstream either.
Nice to dream, but playing Lotto/Powerball is a waste of money to me. Not that I was raised to believe gambling was evil, but throwing your hard-earned money at something with little to no return was just stupid.

We've got well over a month to go on this Poll, we'll see where it ends up.

Thanks to all who've participated so far, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #18
Reads a lot
 
2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,208
Images: 1
I would certainly consider IF I felt the quality and craftsmanship were there but I would be expecting that to new Airstream Motorhome to compete with Newmar, at the least or better, like a Prevost or other high end coach. I would hate to see AS produce a mid-range Motor Home, I mean why bother? Part of why I bought my AS was because of the Iconic brand AND because I really did feel like I was getting my money's worth. I certainly could have purchased a much cheaper travel trailer but the ones I looked at, at any price point, just didn't have the same feel as my Classic 30. So IF Airstream could produce a high quality product in a new high end coach I would seriously consider buying one. But it could not look like just another big ol honking motorhome. I think what I would want to see is pretty much impossible....
__________________
Lauri

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,805
Hmmmm....Kim Kardashian (new, high maintenance, very blingy and very expensive); or Ann Margaret (mature, patina but very classy and sexy)......I'll stay with Ann if you all don't mind.

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #20
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Since I'm the one who set up the poll, I did not set up any restrictions on who was able to vote, and who was not able to vote either. The only restriction was that the Poll was open for 45 days. I'll see if I can't check poll again.

I'll be honest as far as new Airstream Classic motorhome. If $$ were no object, and I could have some sort of input on floor plan layout, I would say yes to keeping old, and buying new. We all know that the ONLY gas chassis available is Ford F-53 chassis with the V-10 motor. My work truck has that motor with 6sp transmission. Of course, it's an empty box truck, with barely any weight in it except for mail and packages, so that thing will HAUL! 2017 model, with well over 300 hp. Now, with well over 16,000lbs of motorhome, I'm sure that it would slow down considerably. As far as diesel chassis, there aren't many options.
With THOR being parent of Airstream, I have a feeling that the Engineering of a Classic Motorhome would be 'farmed' out, but construction would be completed at Jackson Center. I truly believe Airstream would never again allow Cutter, Clipper models to be produced with an Airstream badge again.
If a Class A were to be produced it would most definitely be a wide-body aluminum model. Whether front engine gas, or rear engine diesel, I'm certain that would depend on how deep the pockets of the purchaser.
Feel certain that most Airstream Classic motorhomes were pre-sold to buyers. Seriously doubt that Airstream ever produced these models for 'spec' on a dealers lot. With production numbers around 20 to 30 a year, doesn't seem that 'spec' models were rampant.
Of course, now that it appears I'll be selling my home without wheels and moving into my Airstream by end of this year, doubtful I'll ever be able to afford a new Airstream either.
Nice to dream, but playing Lotto/Powerball is a waste of money to me. Not that I was raised to believe gambling was evil, but throwing your hard-earned money at something with little to no return was just stupid.

We've got well over a month to go on this Poll, we'll see where it ends up.

Thanks to all who've participated so far, Derek
Hi Derek, if the pole was meant to say new classic motorhome.....not new class A then you will get a better indication if you edit it.

I for one had read the title as new fibreglass flat-front hence my 'not a chance' vote.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Class II vs class III hitch for Bambi 16ft TY PECK Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 8 04-27-2015 08:03 PM
1991 Airstream Land Yacht 30' Class A- Like New eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-16-2009 04:10 PM
97 Airstream 19 1/2 ft Class B Generator New Tires Ford eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-04-2009 01:00 AM
97 Airstream 19 1/2 ft Class B Generator New Tires Ford eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 03-21-2009 01:13 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.