Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post

Indeed!
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:

Crap.... Now I am rethinking my flooring plans! That floor looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Ocala , Florida
I have not been monitoring these posts for awhile but now I'm amazed at what I see. Martin your unit is awesome. A definite insperation to me. My 350LE is in the shop getting mechanical issues resolved then I wanted to work on the interior. I have been following Hofarc for awhile and like the clean lines. BUT mine still has all of the original woodwork.....So I'm torn between restoration and renovation. I am leaning toward renovation to fit my lifestyle. I was also looking at some of the newer AS interiors with the rounded cabinets and flat aluminum finish. Any suggestions??
Malmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #44
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hi Malmills, all the internal cabinetry from a modern Airstream is available to AS dealers but there are two issues, firstly the dimensions and shape have changed a little so it will not fit without adaptation, and AS dealers charge AS prices for the work!

If you are looking at having the renovation done by someone else (I envy the guys on here that have the ability and time to tackle their own renovations) look for a good carpenter nearby. But a '92 350LE is pretty luxurious in the first place so maybe just 'knock some of the chintz' off it and refinish the current cabinets in a modern finish?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Ocala , Florida
Hi all. Sorry I have to drop out once in awhile due to work (I have to pay for the maintenance some how!!!). Again the AS renovations posted (when the photos show up so I can see them) are all great. It come down to a matter of style preference and I'm in the same boat as streamquest. If I may divert to another topic or if I should start a stream please let me know. I noticed that Martin does not have a roof mount AC unit. Do you have AC? As I noted before, my unit is in the shop for repairs and maintenance and I was told that the AC units are shot and have been searching for recommendations for two new units. I have review the usual suspects but the Atwood caught my eye due to the low amp requirements. Does anyone have any preferences (silly question). Thanks for any and all comments.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #46
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Yes Malmills, I have AC, but I will say upfront that our expectations from AC are a little different from someone who camps in Death Valley! We have a ducted system from ClimateRight built into a compartment that used to be the location of old generator.So what you see from inside is a slightly larger than normal nightstand. There is still room in that compartment from our Eu2000i and one of the 'reasons' behind this combo is the AC runs happily off that generator.

So far our experience is the AC is quite able to pull the temp inside down from over 95 to around 75 (which is where we have it set). We do only have a 20ft though, and very open plan with the ducting coming out centrally at floor level - this unit is sold for 'Tiny Houses' and I doubt it would make any impression on a bigger MH. But I do want to mention the fan-tastic fans; the type of places we camp are hot in the day but the majority come down to below 80 at night, the two fans (one set in/one set out), create a significant rate of air change and we can cool the inside much quicker with those than the AC and then use the AC to hold temp.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Ocala , Florida
Hi Martin. I came across your original posts last night and stayed up way past my bed time reading your build. Thank you for commitment to share your experience. I missed the part on what you will do to convert the voltage when you ship it to Euro Land. Thanks again. On the AC question I was looking into two 13,000 portable units and mount them into the cabinets to cool the AS. This would have freed up the vents on the roof or made more space for solar panels. I was discouraged from proceeding down that path. So it looks like I will select from the standard offerings.

Thanks again
Malcolm
Old 08-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #48
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hi Malcolm, a 350 is a big beast and those two 13,000 units will be about 3-4 times what we have on-board.

If you are interested in installing a split system I would recommend reading Sergei's thread on his Argosy restoration (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html) he has sold the trailer/combo but the work that went into it was really innovative.

In terms of our 'voltage swap'...everything has been dumb'ed down so the switch is not even needed. In Europe the construction industry use 110V power tools and weatherproof 5kva transformers are widely available (and cost around $200) so the new shore line will actually be a 220-240v supply to 5kva transformer down to 110V into the standard 30amp socket (which is already internally protected to 20amp)....well that's the plan anyway!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Ocala , Florida
Another all night read.......thanks Martin.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
I'm new here and looks like alot of work has been done to some airstream mh by the pics. Looks real good" I live in Tuscaloosa, Al have a 370 in the process of rebuilding. Just checking if someone here has a 370 with the Gillig chassis owner's manual? I do have the airstream manual but it didn't come with the Gillig manual. I appreciate any info.
Thanks,Eddie
air370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
370 Gillig

Hi Eddie,

I have a 370 with the Gillig manual. Let me know what you need. We should probably start a 370 thread if one does not already exist somewhere.

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
I could not find anything on the Gillig manual. If we could do a pdf file copy for everyone that doesn't have it that would be great.I do have a thread that I started on the classic mh threads asking about a manual in this forum.I just got done finding the airbags for the front and back of the 370 and could list the numbers for those who needed to replace theirs. Mine was dry rotting with cracks and I'm so glad I replaced them cause they was about to go. I'm doing all the work myself. Even found a replacement for the a/c covers that has to b changed for 2 bolt mounts on top.Hopefully that's all that I can see but I haven't put them up there yet cause I'm going to strip all the clear coat off and do a full polish on her. When you have time on that gillig manual to make a copy just let me know.Just private message me for my email direct for dowload. I appriciate everything and if anyone needs any info from me just private message me.Like you said we do need a section on here for everyone for manual downloads and part replacement numbers for each model of airstreams.
Thanks,Eddie
Old 08-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Hi Eddie,

I have a 370 with the Gillig manual. Let me know what you need. We should probably start a 370 thread if one does not already exist somewhere.

Charly
"Steamquest"
Hey Charly,
I just found out I can't private message you cause I'm new here. Can you PM me back on trying to get a copy of that gillig chassis manual.I will pay you for the shipping and time.I appreciate it, -Eddie
Old 08-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Eddie,

I started a thread devoted to 370 specific discussion. I'll PM you when I get a chance. I'm looking into getting the Gillig manual copied or scanned.

Charly
Old 09-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #55
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
I owned this one for a short spell...the interior looked great, and I would not change a thing on it. The 300le may be for sale in the near future. 345 interior 001.jpg
That's a great interior, and I am glad that you agree it should be left alone.

It's a tough call deciding how much one should change and update these interiors, and most of the radical remods that I have seen look pretty unattractive: most especially I dislike big and clunky seating that does not fit with the elegance of the Airstream cabinetry. I really like the neat swivelling armchairs in mine, and if they were in poor shape I would have them reupholstered. I have reduced the depth of the cabinet/table between them, since it does not need to hold a CRT TV, and now the armchairs can actually swivel unimpeded.

What flooring to choose is still a dilemma: for our climate with great temperature changes all types of vinyl flooring must be ruled out. Supposedly true linoleum is free from the expansion and contraction that causes all the problems, although I haven't found any I like yet. I am also really not sure that I like any of the wood floors I have seen, although they would be practical from many standpoints. My 345 has had oak flooring installed in the kitchen area and it is so dark that I am planning on ripping it out.

The original AS carpet must have been amazingly high quality material: in mine it has lasted since 1989, and yet is in fantastic condition, except that frankly it........ stinks! I think that people have lived in it for some very extended period, probably with a pretty smelly dog or dogs, and mere cleaning has not been good enough, but nevertheless I am tending strongly towards reinstalling carpet, but making sure that replacement of it in 5 years or so will be easier than what I am going through now.

Martin: I really like your interior. It is practical, attractive, and pure Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	345 interior 001.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	248129  
Old 09-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #56

1985 34' Limited
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Orlando , Florida
What about the bedroom? Do you have to keep the bed or can you put a futon or something different in it?
CAndrews63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Not sure what you would hope to gain with a futon?

I've always considered the mattress to be a step up the evolutionary ladder of sleep related furnishings.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #58
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
In most towns there's someone who cuts foam to size. 30 years ago in Corvallis, Oregon I went to The Foam Man
The Foam Man - Mattresses - Corvallis, OR - Reviews - Photos - Yelp
for a piece of foam to replace my VW Westfalia mattress. He had samples of different firmness for you to try out. We chose the second firmest and he cut a piece in 30 seconds or so and we went out with this light-as-a-feather mattress rolled up and tied. It was so comfortable and we slept so well in the RV that we threw out the mattress in our bedroom and had a piece of foam cut queen size to fit. Thirty years later I am still sleeping on the same type of foam.

Futons are the third most uncomfortable thing I have slept on, after a water bed and a hammock. Oh, except for the one night when I was a teenager, after a terrible party, when I slept sideways across a steel bath, but let's not go into that.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #59

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lebanon , Oregon
This looks nice. Did you do this yourself or have a company do it? Where did you find the couches at?
Luvinmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote