Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
boynton beach , Florida
Air tank replacement for air suspension

Hi and thanks for reading, we are having trouble locating a repacement tank for the air tank that feeds the air suspension, Its a half gallon size for a 1979 excella 28" motorhome, it had alkready been repared and is leaking again so we just need to replace it, Any information you may have would be wonderful. attached are pictures of the part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air tank 001.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	146568   Click image for larger version

Name:	air tank 002.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	146569  

nikiarntz113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
I would try contacting Andy at: www.inlandrv.com If he doesn't have one I would think he'd steer you in the right direction.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you have no other luck, the GMC motorhome community has a man in Alberta who makes beautiful Stainless Steel air and water tanks for the GMC motorhomes. He might also make you a replacement for this tank, I don't know. It is an unusual tank probably only used from 1979 to 1982. A friend had a similar one on his '81 280 but the one on my 83 310 was larger. At any rate you could contact this man to see if he would build one for you.

Jim DeMaere - Tanks, Stainless Steel replacement air and hot water. 403-329-3091 Lethrbridge, Alberta
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Go to 18 wheel truck junk Yard. I think they well have all the tanks your looking for + more.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
I have a old stainless steel fire extinguisher that the PO had nipples welded on and it works vary well. Cheep and easy to find.
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I still say a good old junk Yard
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Unless you are restricted to a tank of this specific dimension I would think that it should be pretty easy to find a replacement. I like the idea of the stainless ones but whichever direction you go I do hope you remember to drain them. Warm weather and they, at least, won't freeze but they still need to be drained often. They make a drain valve that has a pull chain so you can locate the pull at a convienent location.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikiarntz113
Hi and thanks for reading, we are having trouble locating a repacement tank for the air tank that feeds the air suspension, Its a half gallon size for a 1979 excella 28" motorhome, it had alkready been repared and is leaking again so we just need to replace it, Any information you may have would be wonderful. attached are pictures of the part.
I believe I have the same system with this same tank. I also have a larger tank and I don't know if the larger tank was added at a later time. I'm tired of constantly attending to the air leaks throughout the system. I'm going to keep the air compressor since I believe it is a real work horse. It has been run continuously at times due to air leaks and it lives in the rusty wet rear compartment, yet still runs strong. I want to replace both tanks with a new tank and all new hose and fittings. I'm just wondering why the two tanks and if the little one served a specific purpose? Where have others bought they new tanks and lines?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1500587260.png
Views:	196
Size:	838.5 KB
ID:	147003   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3786709998.png
Views:	162
Size:	828.1 KB
ID:	147004  

Name:	image-27021170.png
Views:	154
Size:	884.7 KB
ID:	147005  
Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Maybe this would work?
Aluminum Air Tank - 7 Gallon
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
Maybe this would work?
Aluminum Air Tank - 7 Gallon
It's funny you mentioned Harbor Freight. I was on my way there yesterday. I didn't know we had any in the bay area, but saw ad in the paper, so I ran down to San Jose and spent a bunch of money!

I was thinking something more like...

http://www.truckspring.com/suspensio...ee-gallon.aspx

I'm not sure what size tank to go with. I read not to go to big or pump will cycle too much to fill it.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I can't go to Harbor Freight, If I do I come home with no money an a truck full of thing I don't have to have!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalsetto
I can't go to Harbor Freight, If I do I come home with no money an a truck full of thing I don't have to have!!!
That is exactly what happened to me yesterday!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
My Girlfriend always says....
You are going to Harbor Freight?"...
Then, "Ok, Well, I will see you later... MUCH later!"

She also says the same when I go to the Junkyard...
Guys Retail Therapy, she says!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I believe I have the same system with this same tank. I also have a larger tank and I don't know if the larger tank was added at a later time. I'm tired of constantly attending to the air leaks throughout the system. I'm going to keep the air compressor since I believe it is a real work horse. It has been run continuously at times due to air leaks and it lives in the rusty wet rear compartment,
That's strange, our single tank is mounted underneath on the frame, just aft of the duals. The compressor is mounted (nice and dry) inside in the stern beneath one of the beds.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary

That's strange, our single tank is mounted underneath on the frame, just aft of the duals. The compressor is mounted (nice and dry) inside in the stern beneath one of the beds.
My larger tank is mounted same as yours.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I believe I have the same system with this same tank. I also have a larger tank and I don't know if the larger tank was added at a later time. I'm tired of constantly attending to the air leaks throughout the system. I'm going to keep the air compressor since I believe it is a real work horse. It has been run continuously at times due to air leaks and it lives in the rusty wet rear compartment, yet still runs strong. I want to replace both tanks with a new tank and all new hose and fittings. I'm just wondering why the two tanks and if the little one served a specific purpose? Where have others bought they new tanks and lines?
This appears to be the same tank used in my coach. Mine is secured by a U bolt around the tank and through the forward wall of the compartment. The band of rust around the center of your tank looks like evidence of a U bolt mount. It is the only tank in the system and with the new compressor I installed a couple of years ago the system works beautifully. The tank fills from empty to full pressure in less then 2 minutes and the bags hold the rear of the coach at travel height parked for nearly 2 weeks. By the way with the delay in the height control valve the compressor rarely cycles going down the highway. I would guess the tank is about one gallon capacity.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream

This appears to be the same tank used in my coach. Mine is secured by a U bolt around the tank and through the forward wall of the compartment. The band of rust around the center of your tank looks like evidence of a U bolt mount. It is the only tank in the system and with the new compressor I installed a couple of years ago the system works beautifully. The tank fills from empty to full pressure in less then 2 minutes and the bags hold the rear of the coach at travel height parked for nearly 2 weeks. By the way with the delay in the height control valve the compressor rarely cycles going down the highway. I would guess the tank is about one gallon capacity.

Good luck, Dan
Yup, it had the U bolt like yours. I took it off in order to tighten the hose fittings at the top. U bolt was so rusted that it broke when taking it off.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Dover , Arkansas
airtanks

Try airbagit.com. They make airbag systems for vehicles. Got alldifferent kinds of tanks.Good luck. Jim
Eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Kool Girlfriend.