Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Nashville , Tennessee
Air Compressor Power Issue

Over the winter the rear suspension air compressor on my '86 345 stopped working. I typically start the rig and inflate the airbags once or twice a month when in storage. The motor isn't getting power. I show 12v to the air pressure switch, but get nothing when I jump the switch and go direct to the compressor. I applied external 12v power to the motor and it fired right up. My multimeter shows nearly 12v on the line I jumped to the compressor. I made sure it was grounded properly...nothing. I'm a novice where 12v power is involved. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks for your time!
freedombro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
They ran a really long skinny wire from the battery to the dash back to the compressor, the wire isn't thick enough and is failing, my 310 unit had a similar failure

Mine is now powered by a toggle switch in the battery compartment, you can also try re-running heavier gauge wire to the dash/adding a relay
Old 05-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
A good deal of folks here have rewired their compressor when they install a replacement.
A common way to do that is to run a fairly heavy wire (#8 or 6) from your battery to the compressor compartment with an inline fuse. Use your existing OEM wire as a trigger or switch wire with both feeding a combination relay/pressure switch like this one. https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-90110-P.../dp/B000FQ1HM4
It will give some flexibility on the size and amp draw when choosing a new compressor. Pretty easy job once you get into it. Thos relays are well marked as to which wire goes where. Good luck.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
+1 on the heavier gauge wire direct to the compressor, and using the existing 20 amp wire as a solenoid trigger.
My ARB twin cylinder compressor came with an internal pressure switch that you power with the wire from the dashboard fuse block.
I also mounted the compressor much closer to my batteries, so the less wire, the better.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Nashville , Tennessee
Thanks to all for your input.

The culprit was a failed spade connector in the front fusebox. It appears a PO had run a heavier wire from a toggle switch on the dash (I always wondered why?) It currently goes direct to a small aftermarket (85-105) pressure switch. (small round in center left of picture below) I don't see any connection between a relay or solenoid before the pressure switch? The power out of the pressure switch does split and and one leg goes to what looks like a solenoid while the other leg feeds direct into the compressor. Nothing leaves that solenoid. Should that concern me? Here's a pic. Seems like there are several old switches/relays/solenoids not being used. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D4...kY4_D35JSg11Po

Of course, once I got the compressor working the front air conditioner immediately quit. It's Classic Airstream Whack-A-Mole, as usual.

Thx Again!!

-ko
freedombro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
It looks a bit complicated but if it works...muy bueno! The compressor looks like it's been upgraded. I'm not sure I get adding a switch at the dash for the compressor. It already operates off the ignition switch, or did from the factory. You could probably clean it up a bit but if it's working for you..."if it ain't broke...."
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote