Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Wisconsin
Advice on selling

hi,
i originally posted this in the wrong forum. we've got a 1981 excella 280 with the isuzu diesel that we've been remodeling. we're considering selling it, however, we're not done with the remodel and are looking for some advice on if it's better to sell it as-is or finish. i was encouraged to put some details and pictures in. so i'll start with highlights of what we've done.
1. completely gutted down to subframe and outer skin/supports.
2. new marine grade plywood completely sealed twice.
3. removed and stripped interior wall panels down to aluminum.
4. insulated walls with aluminum double sided bubble insulation against outer skin and filled the rest of the space with rigid insulation.
5. all interior wall structure welded aluminum square tube.
6. double bunks in back. middle section of upper bunks removable for more head room. upper bunks are pretty tight. we use them more for storage.

7. bathroom relocated to side. all tanks moved to underneath.
8. added dinette and 2 storage couch/beds up front. 7 beds total. 12 seat belts.
9. all new upper cabinets.
10. chassis mechanicals. new brakes, new radiator, hoses, front air bags. added vintage air cabin a/c. added hard-wired backup camera. completely remodeled dash and instrument cluster.
11. new window seals.

12. completely rewired all electrical including upgrade to 50-amp, new combo panel, automatic transfer switch, usb ports everywhere, 4-way light switches (entry, bedrooms and drivers seat switches).

13. we tried to put cabinets/storage everywhere we could. everything is 100% custom fitted. we used primarily aluminum and birch.

i'm forgetting a lot. things that still need to be done.
1. water system. we have all of the tanks and fixtures, but the bathroom and kitchen need to be done. we have a marine toilet (macerating/pumping), ronco plastic tanks, tankless water heater, anderson 4-way valve and most of the cabinetry built and sealed.
2. cabin area. flooring needs to be finished. center console needs work.
3. trimming and counters.

again, i'm looking for advice on if it's better payoff to finish or sell as-is. i understand that we'll never get our money out of it. i've attached some pictures. they aren't great pictures but i think they capture the layout.

thanks,

chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	385556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1996.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	385557  

Name:	IMG_1994.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	385558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1995.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	385560  

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	385561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1988.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	385562  

Name:	IMG_1986.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	385563  
ccwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Imo, sounds like you've already put the vast majority of the money into it, but if it doesn't *look* finished it's worth a lot less. A wash and a wax raises the value of a car 10%, inheriting somebody's half finished project vs somebody's actually finished project is a big difference on value. Even if the "half finished" project was actually 90% of the way done.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
^

Clean up the mess
Assemble everything
Then new pics ......
Just sayin...
Old 01-01-2021, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I agree with Rob (magnet 18) 100%. In nearly every picture it looks like many things were never totally “done done”. You’ve done a great deal of the hard work yet the final details need completed and wrapped up. It will make a huge difference in the price and ease of getting it sold. A good rule to live by when doing a resto/mod is to not start on a new project until you’ve “completely” finished with the project you’re working on. It’s real easy to end up with a mess of projects that had a great start but were left incomplete. Lots of folks get caught in that trap.
I would suggest you go back over the work that’s been started and clean up all the detail work that’s yet to be completed. Start and finish one project or system at a time. You’ve got a great start!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:49 AM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
What Rob and Mike said plus keep in mind you have been remodeling not renovating, more so remodeling in 'your image'. Finding a buyer of a partial renovation, is very different from finding a buyer of a partial remodel where the price will reflect the potential buyer not looking to finish your remodel but to do their own.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
....A good rule to live by when doing a resto/mod is to not start on a new project until you’ve “completely” finished with the project you’re working on. It’s real easy to end up with a mess of projects that had a great start but were left incomplete. Lots of folks get caught in that trap.
Mike, I wish I had known about this rule 40 years ago......
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote