Old 08-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Austin , Texas
92 350LE Purchase - Name to be determined - Maiden Voyage

Top of the afternoon!
We have put down a deposit and are planning on flying to pick up our 92 350LE on Friday! We are so excited and have been looking for several years. We currently have a 67 Streamline Duke (pull behind) that has been fantastic but we are looking for a little more room and more modern amenities. The Duke is pretty much original to 1967 and we have been somewhat intentional in keeping it that way! I've been following different threads on here for sometime and almost pulled the trigger on WayneG's motorhome prior to his passing. The timing just wasn't right and it wasn't 100% road worthy. He was a very intelligent gentlemen and i'm sure is greatly missed in this community!

The 350LE has been recently updated with alot of the touches that will work well for my family. This included a pretty complete interior remodel with new exposed aluminum for the walls and new stainless bathroom area which looks pretty amazing. The engine is the original 454 with 111k miles. It's has been regularly serviced at the consigning dealership so i have access to the complete service history (well for the last 5 years). Our plan is to fly in this Friday and then get acquainted with it before heading back to central Texas. It's roughly 900 miles. My main concern is minimizing any issues during our sprint (haha) back home. We are planning on driving pretty much straight back with some small breaks.

I am looking for any advice / threads that address the key things to be thinking about / preparing for the maiden voyage. I recall a few similar posts over the past few years. I've signed up for all the road services (AAA, Good Sam) but want to make sure we make this first experience a pleasant one! I'm looking forward to joining the motorhome family and our many family adventures to come! I'll post a few pics now and will update on our way back to Austin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91036636_10222537367487927_4159024795033272320_n.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	374863   Click image for larger version

Name:	91817996_10222537369167969_8004305849751175168_n.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	374864  

Click image for larger version

Name:	91984972_10222537384688357_3832739900537438208_n.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	374865   Click image for larger version

Name:	91631756_10222537366007890_1738411386268024832_n.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	374866  

ctoiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Welcome to the asylum! Looking forward to more high-res photos!

Make sure the tires and fuel lines have been replaced recently, brakes are in good shape, and be aware that a 900 mile day in one of these will likely be very exhausting. Other than that have fun!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Look at what has been done in the past five years? I would look at the following if not already sorted: fan clutch, hoses, belts, master cylinder, fuel filter on the rail, tyres plus a bleed/brake service. Depending on your budget and attitude to risk, you could procure a little stock of hot spares which are outliers but could mean a speedy fix if they go wrong on the road......I think there are probably a list of these on the site. You've probably got a long GM P32 chassis. Protect your engine and transmission so could have the radiator flushed and the tranny fluid changed and cooler checked over.

Run yourself a Compnine report off your VIN which should give you the RPO codes for your coach. I think it is worth a few bucks and can help parts stores differentiate on spares. Remember you have a P32 Motorhome chassis, not a straight P30.

Chassis line up deets
http://www.oemys-performance.com/med...-alignment.pdf

Fault codes ref
https://www.oemys-performance.com/me...ii%20codes.pdf

Basic Chassis Manual
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...anual-1136.pdf

Detailed service manuals. Look for P series. Download 1991 manuals which should be good enough.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...ml#post1895608

Hydroboost explained
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/oper...ssist-systems/

I assume there are no fault codes on the dash. Those with the TBI set up (like you) have the benefit of being able to get a bluetooth fault code reader here, should you feel it worthwhile.
http://www.1320electronics.com/products.html

Your options list
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...layout-486.pdf

Safe travels and have fun

Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Austin , Texas
The tires were all replaced last July and the last service indicated the brakes had 55-65% remaining. I have an export of the vehicle service records so i'll see if I can find anything about the fuel lines. It looks like it has a new radiator and fan clutch from a set of work orders from B&C in Tucson. They were also the company that did the interior remodel. Thank you so much for your comments "Boom Sounds" and "Magnet18". Todd
Old 08-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #5

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ruidoso , New Mexico
Last year I bought a 1988 Airstream 345 in original condition with only 19000 miles on it. Flew from New Mexico to Detroit and drove it back after installing new tires with no problems. If possible drive it around some before you start your trip to familiarize yourself with the rig. I did not do that and it made it a little more difficult.
Enjoy the trip.
Jamie Estes
Ruidoso, New Mexico
Jhestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoiii View Post
The tires were all replaced last July and the last service indicated the brakes had 55-65% remaining. I have an export of the vehicle service records so i'll see if I can find anything about the fuel lines. It looks like it has a new radiator and fan clutch from a set of work orders from B&C in Tucson. They were also the company that did the interior remodel. Thank you so much for your comments "Boom Sounds" and "Magnet18". Todd

Congrats on your purchase (i think, haha)

The good thing about the 1992 model is the limited amount of rubber fuel lines in the vicinity of the engine/exhaust Heat. There a 2 lines that run over the exhaust on the passenger side from hard lines coming from the TB going to the frame rail. A quick inspection is easy and worthwhile. Unfortunately the replacement is not that easy since they are threaded hose connections. The rest of the rubber fuel lines are limited to the tank and the generator line.
An inquiry about the starter is something I would strongly recommend. If its the original big starter, you may experience heat soak problem in this southern heat. You can always let it cool off for an hour, if that happens to you. mini high torque starters are the best solution. Feel free to send me a PM and can give you my cell phone in case you need some input when you are on the road.
Hope to see you with your 350 at our yearly Christmas Rally in Blanco .
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Congratulations ctoiii, she looks like a gem. Thanks for posting the pictures; wondering how the trip is going/went.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Austin , Texas
I'll send some more pics / update a bit later today. We are 1/2 through our flights to Tucson to pickup the MH. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Thanks again to all the help and especially Peter who was kind enough to give me his cell number for any issues! It's awesome to have such rockstars in this group!
Old 08-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Austin , Texas
In a bit of a holding pattern. There was some extensive water damage mid coach and in the rear section (under the panoramic windows). The flooring was mostly gone. It drove remarkably well during our test drive! I didn't get too aggressive but 65mph wasn't any problem and the RPMs seemed reasonable (i should have documented that exactly though). It is equipped with the OverDrive which is great. The interior was a bit more worn that I was hoping. It had an extensive makeover at some point in the recent past but I forgot to review all the included maintenance records (printouts) that were in the office. We did negotiate a price reduction with the water damage and some of the systems didn't seem to fully operate (water heater and dual ACs on gen power). I feel like i needed another 8 hours to really look at everything. "Peter the great" was on standby and fielded a number of questions during the course of time in Tucson. We ultimately left without the RV and flew back to Austin. We are trying to figure out shipping costs for the 900 mile trip. If it's too exorbitant I can get out of the deal. Alternatively I could attempt the drive home. I have a good feeling that it would make it fine but we went with a more conservative approach initially. I've signed up for all the roadside services (AAA and Good Sam's) but getting stranded in the middle of west Texas doesn't sound really appealing! I'm trying to get the quotes together soon so I can let the dealership know our intentions. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts on shipping and/or other options. Thanks again for everyone's advice!
Old 08-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
It takes about 8 hours if not longer to completely check out one of these motor homes. Good for you to walk away from it.....most people don't. Repairs can be costly.....not to mention the time. It's always good to bring a pad and pen. Example....if the original asking price is $35,000.00, then you see water damage, you deduct, generator will not run both AC units, deduct. Hot water heater not working, deduct etc. I've checked out multiple motor homes and trailers and about 80 % I would walk away from......Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote