Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
360 Classic Diesel - Need Thoughts!

Hi Folks

Ok, I've been looking at getting a MH for some time now, however, did not want to get away from aluminum or rivets. So, what I have now decided to consider is a 94 or a 95 Classic 360 Diesel, and redo the interior...

However, I have only experience in trailers and Gas (tow vehicle) engines and systems. a used 360 with spartan chassis/diesel motor / propane generator and related sytems scares me.

I'm looking at 2 units, both asking way too much, one completely way too high, but looking regardless, perhaps as comparison.

The one in Georgia looks to be best in condition (based on photos and conversation with owner), while the other on the dealer lot seems to be a bit more "worn" but a better asking price to start.

I've thought about looking for a member on the list of vounteer inspectors, but none are in AR...(anyone happen to be in the area?)

Does anyone who has 360 or MH experinece/knowledge advise me what to ask and/or look for? Any thoughts on the difference between a 94 to a 95? Standard features and options for that year? I can't seem to find any archive product infomration on the web...

Thanks

Kevin

http://rvtrader.com/rvdetail.php?id=36225

http://www.airstreamofarkansas.com/inventory_used.cfm
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am no expert on those models, but wondered, are you sold on the diesel idea as opposed to a gas model? Seems like there are some very nice 345 models out there which would save you quite a lot of $$. In the long run they are quite a bit less to maintain, and although ultimately the 454 will not do the long term mileage the diesel might, the overall cost is a definite consideration. Just a friendly IMHOP.
For example this 350 is a bit more than half th price of the diesel;
http://rvtrader.com/rvdetail.php?id=40977
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I am no expert on those models, but wondered, are you sold on the diesel idea as opposed to a gas model? Seems like there are some very nice 345 models out there which would save you quite a lot of $$. In the long run they are quite a bit less to maintain, and although ultimately the 454 will not do the long term mileage the diesel might, the overall cost is a definite consideration. Just a friendly IMHOP.
For example this 350 is a bit more than half th price of the diesel;
http://rvtrader.com/rvdetail.php?id=40977
ALANSD,

My wife and I love the look of the 93-96 classic MH, and from my understanding, the DP can pull up to 4K, whereas I am told the Gas one only pulls up to 2K. I havent found a resource to confirm this but I need at least 4K for a future toad.
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
You can do a search here in the site by typing "diesel pusher". There are a few threads that talk about those...there's a good one about towing capacity that touches on I think a '95 model. However, if you can't find anything here, go to Fred's Airstream Archives and that site will have some info on it.

When I retire, I think the '96 diesel pusher is for me!
Old 07-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Thumbs down Diesel pusher classics

The diesel pushers were few in number mostly because AS used a Spartan chassis, not the standard P30 nor the Freightliner that they used on the fiberglass boxes. There were multiple serious problems immediately, not the least of which was the tendancy to overheat the engine because of poor airflow. You should pursue conversation with some of the current owners before doing this!
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Wow, this thread's about a year old! Just curious if you ever got the DP? Towing capacity can be fixed by taking the rig to a fabrication shop and having them weld an upgraded receiver to the frame, like I did. Now I can tow 5K vs 2K, although I can really feel the toad in back. Nonetheless, I like DP's but didn't know about the problem witth the Spartan chassis.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Griffin
360 Pusher

I have just posted a 360 DP to eBay if you search for it. I've been very happy with it and the torque is wonderful after comparing to Gas models.

The added advantage of course is biodiesel which becomes more of an attractive possibility as foreign oil continues to rise in price.

Good luck!
Griffin
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
If I had an extra $60,000 laying around this would really interest me.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Resurrecting an old thread to correct misinformation. The Spartan DPs did have a design flaw that if left unchecked would lead to overheating. The issue was misting oil collecting on the radiator fins and building grime over time. It was fixed with an oil catch. Another cause for overheating was if an oil leak is left unattended. Because of the nature of the air flow back there it would cause the same result. Had little issue in 40k miles and four years of ownership as long as I attended to oil leaks.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
The 390 and 396 suffered the same problem from the oil by-pass tube on the Cat (pig that it was) the correction was to lengthen the tube, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Talk about dusting off the cobwebs on this thread.

I wonder if Kevin ever found a 360 DP to his liking.....seems like a AS fanboy judging by his stable of aluminum.

Kota had that same problem with his DP IIRC. His intercooler/rad, whatever they call it, didn't look pretty when he pulled it and washed it out.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2328.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	713.5 KB
ID:	306027

We pull a Jeep Wrangler behind our 95 and you don’t even know it there. It will run down the interstate at the speed limit and climbs mountains without issues. Gets about 10 mph towing like you stole it and 12-13 cruising with just the bikes on the back.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Diesel vs faster

hey all
Just my two cents worth. Diesels are noisier,cost more to fix, are smellier, but they do get better milage, if you got overdrive, can run at higher speeds, and will go a half a million miles. Towing, your gasser will tow just as much as any diesel, just slower and use more fuel. My 345 towed my excursion w/ 7.3 diesel, to North Dakota, and I got 7 mpg. And fuel doesn't cost less anymore. Diesel used to be way cheaper. That used to be the big draw . I am quite capable of exchanging my 454 to a cummins, but I don't see the advantage of it. Buy a gasser and if you want towing capacity, have a kick butt hitch made, and put an Allison 6 speed in it. You'll get 10-12 mpg
Be been driving semis for twenty years, they are loud , no matter where the engine is. Don't get me wrong, I love the smoke smell, love the diesal noise, my excursion has 300k miles on it . Bull it proof motor. My AS has a 454 with four welded mufflers and headers and 3 inch exhaust. A nice deep rumble. Top cruising speed for us will be 65 mph. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #14
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejay View Post
hey all
Just my two cents worth. Diesels are noisier,cost more to fix, are smellier, DJ
The Isuzu turbo diesel is nowhere as loud as a first gen Cummins; cost more to fix, yes, but how many times do you fix an industrial diesel? How many 454 replacements will occur to my one diesel replacement? I swear there is no smell to modern diesel (heck I thought it was brake fluid).

I agree wholeheartedly about warning anybody buying a modern diesel, with all the EGR system failures, DEF sensors failing and a host of other nanny state electronics; but I love my three wire diesel (ground, positive and relay to starter).

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
If we are talking 360 classic diesel like mine, the engine is in the rear and you don’t hear it up front. Nothing like the class A I rented in Alaska. It had a triton V10 up front that roared like a jet engine. I’ve never really smelt diesel unless you get it on your hands.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote