Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
345 moho window woes

I had been enjoying tinkering around all day in my new, ('85) motorhome, when, after a brief spell in the house I came back to find this.--- see attached photo.

The broken lounge side window appeared to have been shot by a beebee gun!

I know the next door (but one) kid has a beebee gun, so i went round to ask his ma and pa if he had had an accident. Well wadya know..lies lies lies! After 8 yrs living in the one spot you get to know what kind of people are around you; these poeple are a$$^&()'s. I also know they are kin folk to a previous mayor in town so undertand there's a dirty tricks mentality to deal with as well.

Anyway I called in the local sheriff to get a incident report for insurance purposes.
Apart from wanting to beat 7 colors of poop out of the offending kid and slashing his dads tires to the tune of the replaced window (which i know is wrong, put it down to upbringing) I know that the deductable will be what it costs to replace the window pane.

However, these windows are not the same as regular travel trailer types.

Is there anyone out there who has had to replace a horizontal sliding window on a motorhome who knows where i can get a replacement?

Thank you in advance.

Andy
ps my wife just registered with rottenneighbor.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windows.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	49893  
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Andy, I feel your pain and your wrath. There's absolutely no excuse for bad behavior and unfortunately in today's society, no one takes responsibility for the things they or their kids do wrong. But before this degenerates into that particular sensitive area, I've got nothing really constructive to add beyond sympathy for your woes. Good luck in your search and please let all of us know if you find a source for replacement windows.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
have not done it , but...

It depends on whether it is the fixed or sliding part as to how they come out. We were told to just pull the frame and take it to an autoglass shop and they can cut and mount the new glass. Debbie
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi
I had been enjoying tinkering around all day in my new, ('85) motorhome, when, after a brief spell in the house I came back to find this.--- see attached photo.

The broken lounge side window appeared to have been shot by a beebee gun!

I know the next door (but one) kid has a beebee gun, so i went round to ask his ma and pa if he had had an accident. Well wadya know..lies lies lies! After 8 yrs living in the one spot you get to know what kind of people are around you; these poeple are a$$^&()'s. I also know they are kin folk to a previous mayor in town so undertand there's a dirty tricks mentality to deal with as well.

Anyway I called in the local sheriff to get a incident report for insurance purposes.
Apart from wanting to beat 7 colors of poop out of the offending kid and slashing his dads tires to the tune of the replaced window (which i know is wrong, put it down to upbringing) I know that the deductable will be what it costs to replace the window pane.

However, these windows are not the same as regular travel trailer types.

Is there anyone out there who has had to replace a horizontal sliding window on a motorhome who knows where i can get a replacement?

Thank you in advance.

Andy
ps my wife just registered with rottenneighbor.com

The only classic motorhome windows that are available are, the windshields, rear end windows and the driver and passenger front slider windows.

All the side slider type windows have not been available for many years.

Removing the broken glass from the metal frame is easy.

Taking the metal frame apart, and putting it back together again, is an entirely different matter. The frame must be pulled apart. There are two steel bars within the aluminum frame that are very well corroded. Usually, with considerable force, the frame can be pulled apart.

Putting the frame back together again, because of the corrosion, is a real headache.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Fishers , Indiana
I do not know your neighbors but I have been present when two 345 side widows have shattered exactly like you show in your picture. On the first one we had the door open part way and the wind gusted. It slammed the door open (not really that hard) and the RS window behind it just shattered.

On the second, we had gotten done washing the 345 and went into the shop for a couple minutes. When we came back out a kitchen window was shattered. In both cases it did look like a beebee gun broke it but I am possitive that was not the case. Unless the neighbor boy was in the yard shooting the gun around when the window broke, you probably can not be sure how the window broke. I did make a previous post about this window just seeming to break.

I have replaced 3 of these broken windows over the years. In one case I found a fellow that had one from a wrecked MH. On the other two I went to a local sign / plexiglass company and purchased a replacement piece the correct thickness and tint as the original window. The steps were:

1) Cut a wood frame of the curved shape by using another window as the templete.
2) Remove the broken window frame and carefully remove all the broken pieces but leave in the rubber seal. There have been several posts in this formum about the method for removing side windows.
3) Carefully cut a cardboard templete that is the exact size of the broken window by measuring inside the rubber seal still in the frame.
4) Cut the new peace to the size of the original window.
5) Lay the new peace on the wooden frame and heat to allow it to bend. I used a propane shop heater to warm up the new peace. Once it easily bent to fit the correct shape on the wood form, I clamped it in place and allowed it to cool.
6) I put the new piece in the old frame using new rubber seal which I was able to get from Airstream.

The new window worked perfectly, looked great, and will never break again.
Wayne Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
I really would like to believe that the window just shattered for no reason. After reading your post I went outside and took a couple more pictures.
The kid was out in the yard earlier with his friend and air rifle, but when I discovered the window, they had both gone!
I could go to the small claims court, prove beyond a shadow of doubt the kid was guilty but my wife said to leave it be this time, if a criminal trespass happens again then we'll act more seriously.

It was clear that having removed the screws and two brackets that I'm going to have to put on my reading glasses about how to proceed. Couple of hours in here, what a resource
My air stickers are on the way.

I spoke with some fella this week who says he has a replacement frame and window and am toying with the idea and going up to visit him, maybe get some other impossible to find parts from his salvage yard too. His price is a little high but that's all part of owning a vintage airstream I guess.

I also called a local glass repair company on the advice of my insurer. They talked about having a custom piece tempered and am still waiting to hear back from them. Something similar to Waynes idea.

Lastly I'm looking at buying a piece of lexan (like the ones on inlandrv) and cutting a template out of that. Is it truelly scratch resistant?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	insidelooking out.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	50209   Click image for larger version

Name:	outsidelooking in.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	50210  

Name:	outsidelooking in2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	506.7 KB
ID:	50211   Click image for larger version

Name:	onemore.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	50212  

Old 12-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Fishers , Indiana
Yes, yours does look like it could have been a beebee gun. It was lexan that I used to replace the one window. Gook luck.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
McCoys

Shoot back !
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
i do sooo want to shoot back
Old 12-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
this all happened after a pleasant day airstreaming

this evening when picking up my daughter from the inlaws it was raining hard, so i decided to spare the spotter, however, when reversing to get out of the subdivision i backed into the inlaws mail box! the back corner window took the crunch and the mail box went unhurt. cue flashing red $$$ signs..i now have a matching pair of broken windows on the 345. merry christmas!

i've decided that replacing the side window with a salvaged part is out of my price range. sheesh i could part out this one and get rich, any takers?

“Make only improvements, not changes”

picking out a gazillion pieces of tempered glass is getting kinda old, so interpreting that philosophy, bullet proof plastics is an improvement (to me) and the way to go

i'm leaning toward lexan margard MR5 IR sheet.. does anyone have any experience with this material? can the .375 thickness bend like the side and rear windows need to? will i have to go thinner?

im sat in the moho right now and the heavens are opening up. thank the lord, no leaks! makes me almost forget the window woes

a big hearty cheers to the airstream community
Old 12-15-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
this evening when picking up my daughter from the inlaws it was raining hard, so i decided to spare the spotter, however, when reversing to get out of the subdivision i backed into the inlaws mail box! the back corner window took the crunch and the mail box went unhurt. cue flashing red $$$ signs..i now have a matching pair of broken windows on the 345. merry christmas!

i've decided that replacing the side window with a salvaged part is out of my price range. sheesh i could part out this one and get rich, any takers?

“Make only improvements, not changes”

picking out a gazillion pieces of tempered glass is getting kinda old, so interpreting that philosophy, bullet proof plastics is an improvement (to me) and the way to go

i'm leaning toward lexan margard MR5 IR sheet.. does anyone have any experience with this material? can the .375 thickness bend like the side and rear windows need to? will i have to go thinner?

im sat in the moho right now and the heavens are opening up. thank the lord, no leaks! makes me almost forget the window woes

a big hearty cheers to the airstream community
The rear wrap window or opening window has a metal channel that will accept 1/8 inch material only.

If you install any form of plastic, since plastic is flexible, you will take the risk of having a "window blow out" should you partially or more open any window while in motion.

The old gasket will more than likely fall apart when you take the frame apart.

Airstream does not sell the gasket.

Reassembling the window back to it's original exact shape so that the rivets holes line up, is near impossible.

Should you some how manage to side step all those road blocks, you will then need to have some Olympic rivets, a tube of vulkem sealer, and a rivet shaver, or shave the rivets down with a Dremel tool.

To locate a used wrap window, that will align with the old rivet holes, would be another almost impossible task.

Wrap windows are very expensive, and new ones are not always immediately available.

We had two on order for over one year.

Andy
Old 12-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #12
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Are you missing both of the curved windows on the rear?
OMG!
I'm feeling kindasick just thinking about trying to replace those.
Is there a chance to put in aluminum panels?
Just thinking that some of the TT don't have those windows.

Now if a slide...I would try some form of plastic for sure.
Tinted even.
Worked with Lexan some, that stuff is tough.
Will not snap on a score line as easy like Plexiglass does.
1972 Argosy 24'...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Fishers , Indiana
When I replaced a side window with Lexan I cut it to shape and used new gasket. Take your time and it can be done.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Olson
When I replaced a side window with Lexan I cut it to shape and used new gasket. Take your time and it can be done.

A side widow has very little bend.

Wrap windows have almost a 90 bend.

Big difference in terms of blow out possibilities, which has happened.

If the blow out window hits someone, then make sure you have "tons" of liabilty insurance.

Yester year, if we hurt someone because of our error, we many times could just say "I'm sorry," and offer to pay any medial bills.

Today, "someone is looking for a way to own you, and everything you own to boot," because of a mistake or an error in judgement.

Is it worth that risk?

Trailers and motorhomes we can fix.

No one yet has found a way to restore someone's life.

And I also understand that to lose one's lifetime assets, is pure hell, at best.

One of our "very proud" moderators has lost almost everything he had, because of being injured by someone that had no insurance, and his own insurance had huge limits that were exhausted.

But, bless him, he still holds his head high and has a positive attitude.

I don't know if I could do that.

Andy
Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
Having the rear window blow out would not be fun for whoever was behind.
Also it wouldn't be fun if they're the type bent on screwing you through the legal system, i guess that's what we have to live with as travelers.

In the meantime I will replace the side window with lexan even though the material apparently clouds after a few years. I will make sure they seal inside of the grey moulding too.

Those who have long time in the industry probably already now this and could set me straight on the details, but the company who produced the classic motorhome side windows was PPG (in Macon, GA). They probably still have the mould but from what I hear (Sonny from AL) they will only do a minimum run of 10,000! Limey, I don't need that many, maybe a couple of spares!

I'm also thinking of removing a good side window and taking it to a glass maker as a mould, there's a place not far from me (Americus, GA) who make custom tempered glass.

As for the rear curved window that's another thing. You have me thinking about that one Mr.Rogozinski.
What kind of cabin pressures exist as we drive down the road?, and at what speed does it become a problem. I have yet to take my 345 over 65 mph and usually stay at 55mph or 3700rpm much to the annoyance of many an interstate driver.

I could add extra rivets around the edge of the window frame so that they go through the lexan too, that theory may work.

Or how about replacing the rear window with a nice curved sheet of aluminum, cut back on some uv rays, good idea klattu

Of course I would like tempered glass back there, but that may be a while yet.

I'm thinking of naming my 345 'the challenger'

Right rear side banana wrap anyone?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	booboo1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	51052   Click image for larger version

Name:	booboo2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	51053  

Old 12-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Having the rear window blow out would not be fun for whoever was behind.
Also it wouldn't be fun if they're the type bent on screwing you through the legal system, i guess that's what we have to live with as travelers.

In the meantime I will replace the side window with lexan even though the material apparently clouds after a few years. I will make sure they seal inside of the grey moulding too.

Those who have long time in the industry probably already now this and could set me straight on the details, but the company who produced the classic motorhome side windows was PPG (in Macon, GA). They probably still have the mould but from what I hear (Sonny from AL) they will only do a minimum run of 10,000! Limey, I don't need that many, maybe a couple of spares!

I'm also thinking of removing a good side window and taking it to a glass maker as a mould, there's a place not far from me (Americus, GA) who make custom tempered glass.

As for the rear curved window that's another thing. You have me thinking about that one Mr.Rogozinski.
What kind of cabin pressures exist as we drive down the road?, and at what speed does it become a problem. I have yet to take my 345 over 65 mph and usually stay at 55mph or 3700rpm much to the annoyance of many an interstate driver.

I could add extra rivets around the edge of the window frame so that they go through the lexan too, that theory may work.

Or how about replacing the rear window with a nice curved sheet of aluminum, cut back on some uv rays, good idea klattu

Of course I would like tempered glass back there, but that may be a while yet.

I'm thinking of naming my 345 'the challenger'

Right rear side banana wrap anyone?
Ah, your fun is just now getting started.

Lexan with AR-2 will not discolor in time. The AR-2 means it is abrashion restant on both sides. We demonstrate it to our customers by scrubbibg it with steel wool. Within reason, it won't touch it. But it costs almost double, than the regular lexan.

We have been after out plastic supplier for some solar gray Lexan, either plain or AR-2. We are told it does not exist. Either that's the case, or we need to change suppliers.

It doesn't take a lot of pressure to blow out the plastic window, but along with a good gust of wind hitting your motorhome at even 50 MPH, can be more than enough.

Insurance will cover your loss, since it was a collision. If the don't, then your homeowners policy will.

Replacing the window with an original will save you in the long run, a lot of time and grief.

Sure you can cover it with metal, and then fiberglass insulation. Then what do you do with the other side?

Questions, questions, decisions, decisions.

That's part of the learning curve when you become an Airstreamer.

Good luck with your choices.

We have all the motorhome banana wraps made with fiberglass.

But, it also looks like you will have to have a serious man to man talk with that rear bumper.

Andy
Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #17
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Pop Art

First things first...
Get the back-up camera working.

Since the rear bumper is a loss...
Time to customize.
Bound to something you could come up with to be more useful than what once was.
Mayb nerf bars?
Or how about bending it back as close as you can...
Then wrapping it with 1" sisal rope like they did on WWII Jeeps.
Or how about that heavy rubber extrusion used on truck docks...
Is simular to the white stuff used on boat docks...only heavier and black.
1972 Argosy 24'...
Old 12-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #18
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Wait...bend the other side to match
1972 Argosy 24'...
Old 12-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Colaws salvage

Was parting out a 1989 moho a while back, don't know if they have anything left but worth checking on.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #20
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
What did you end up doing about this ?
1972 Argosy 24'...