Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
345 front coil over shocks . . . Help

Need some help on replacement of my front coil over shocks . All I have found are just the shocks and not a coil over . Have called summit racing , brilstein , trail master all have just straight shocks no coil overs . Has anyone have a line on a shock that I can reuse the old coils or a replacement with a coil over ?

Thanks Joe
Ice Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I think that the shocks and the springs are independent of each other, it isn't a strut assembly that has to be disassembled. So, you should be able to keep your old springs if you want them and just get new shocks. I Googled "P30 front coil spring" and got a bunch of results, like 350-6560SDM Heavy Duty Coil Springs
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Berg View Post
Need some help on replacement of my front coil over shocks . All I have found are just the shocks and not a coil over . Have called summit racing , brilstein , trail master all have just straight shocks no coil overs . Has anyone have a line on a shock that I can reuse the old coils or a replacement with a coil over ?

Thanks Joe
Joe.

Airstream never installed colied over shocks.

But what was installed and is absolutely necessary is the coil springs, shocks AND air bags in the front coils aired to 55 psi.

Ig the bags are not there or improperly inflated, the handling of the front end pays a big negative sacifice.

It's usually not wise to try to out wit the Airstream engineers, especially with
the front end of a motor home.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:47 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Thanks for the info on these shocks . This MH was lots o fun driving in the wind , it had a mind of it's own . So I jacked 65 psi in front bags and replaced the steering stabilizer that was done . This was a big improvement in handling , but need to do ball joints the lower ones have some play in them . Ball joints can wait for now , might do a spring change out along with ball joints . With this info now I'm going to order some Bilsteins front and rear . Any info on tag axle shocks ?

Thanks Joe
Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the info on these shocks . This MH was lots o fun driving in the wind , it had a mind of it's own . So I jacked 65 psi in front bags and replaced the steering stabilizer that was done . This was a big improvement in handling , but need to do ball joints the lower ones have some play in them . Ball joints can wait for now , might do a spring change out along with ball joints . With this info now I'm going to order some Bilsteins front and rear . Any info on tag axle shocks ?

Thanks Joe
The correct air pressure for the front air bags is 55 PSI, no more, no less.

The tag axle uses the same "exact" shock as the trailers, namely the horizontal shock.

The shock bracket for the tag axle, is a very special design, because of space.

Using a regular shock will "NOT" work.

Andy
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Andy ,

I ordered bilstein replacements front and drive axles , any name , part #s or so for those tag axle shocks ? There is a sticker in windshield for the air bags 40 to 90 psi . But I will try 55 when those new socks are installed .

Thanks Joe
Old 04-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
I just put a set of four Koni FSD shocks on my 300le. I got to drive it down to Santa Cruz last weekend, and I'm not really liking it. It's great on the highway, but on roads with dips it really wallows an I feel like it's going to hit the bumps tops. My front airbags were set at around 90 (or above) by the PO, and I dropped them down to 80...guess I could try lower. What is the ideal combo for sice ride with no wallow?
SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post
I just put a set of four Koni FSD shocks on my 300le. I got to drive it down to Santa Cruz last weekend, and I'm not really liking it. It's great on the highway, but on roads with dips it really wallows an I feel like it's going to hit the bumps tops. My front airbags were set at around 90 (or above) by the PO, and I dropped them down to 80...guess I could try lower. What is the ideal combo for sice ride with no wallow?
Use the correct parts.

Andy
Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Wonder if your front springs are getting tired , they are 23 years old . I know some 23 year old kids who act like they are 70 . Sound like the PO had the same problem hence 90 psi . How about doing a spring change with fresh stock one's ? I'm thinking about it when I do the ball joints and might just bump up weight rate of the springs , and that is a big maybe . Right now I'm going to change out the shocks and fab front and rear hitch's .
Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Products - EATON Detroit Spring
I would get new springs here.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Sabassf, the recommended psi in the front airbags is 55
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Check with safety-steer. They make full coil replacements and shocks pkgs that do away withy he miserable manual fill front airbags. But, you need to weigh your front end then check their chart for spring coil parts for that weight. Then align accordingly. We were going to do that on our 270, but sold it before we had chance to throw more money at it. We put on new Monroe stabilizer shock, axle shocks, complete alignment, strictly inflated airbags to 55psi, and in the wind (even slight cross breeze) the 270 was an absolute misery to drive. Our last big trip with it was down to Texas Grasslands, and the winds required us to travel at less than 40 mph to jeep it on the road. All three of our motorized Airstreams we have owned handled miserably ('97 B190, '84 270, '99 Cutter diesel)
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Two years ago I was facing the same air bag issue on my 280. The bags were shot. I drove the coach from Eugene OR to Redding CA and I made a couple of small trips up and down highway 36, a small two lane mountain road, all with no air in the bags. Wow, what a nasty ride those were! The coach bottomed out and was all over the road.

I was going to simply replace all with new correctly weighted springs. Parts and labor would have been around $1000.

The air bags are less then $100 and could be installed myself. The savings in cost (or the trade off) of just replacing the bags paid for my new 15000 Coleman AC.

I run the bags at 55lbs. The mh rides great and smooth! I'm very happy with my decision. If you do the bags yourself use lots o dish soapy water! ( see instructions for installation with your bags).
Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Does anyone have part # for the shocks on the tag axle ?

Joe
Old 04-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Does anyone have part # for the shocks on the tag axle ?

Joe

Andy
Old 04-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Is that and airstream # and what is the cost ?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Is that and airstream # and what is the cost ?
That's our number.

The cost is $ 28.95 each, plus shipping via USPS.

Andy
Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Ok, so what are stock shocks for a 300LE? Are they he same for all P30 models? I find it hard to believe that the Koni FSD's designed for a p30 Moho would be so bad compared to the old Bilstiens? Next step...replace the springs and see how they work with the Koni's?
SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Was talking to a heavy truck mechanic about this whole shock spring thing . He was saying the P-30 chasis is right at it's limits with the weight of the airstream but works well with a " glass and sticks motorhome " . So this past weekend I installed new bilsteins front shocks . Going to try 55 psi in front air bags and tires at 110 psi , that's what is on tire sidewall . But the next thing on frontend will be ball joints and spring replacement . Have not firgured out what weight rating the spring will be but they won't be stock .
Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #20
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
'Silver Bullet' would bottom out on every bump and was always blowing the air bags. I replace the coil springs and bags. It drives better, rides better, don't bottom out(as bad), raised the front-end and I haven't blown the air bags.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote