Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
325 water heater

Hey,
Has anyone gone to a tankless water heater in there classic. Looking for as close to OEM fit as possible.
Are they better than a tank model? I'm leaning toward Atwood. ThanksDJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
There are a couple of problems going tankless; one, you loose 6-10 gallons of water capacity while on the road if boon docking; two, you loose the engine heat option to pre heat the water heater while driving to a site.

I have found that having that option is very handy, especially while on the move having lunch. We can wash dishes and hands without heating the water with propane. Often we have found that the water is quite warm even the next morning and doesn't require as much propane to heat to temperature.

John actually removed his tankless system from his 325 and returned back to a tank system with engine heat, 120volt heater and propane.

Somethings to consider......

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:15 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
325 water heater

They are designed to be direct replacements but the one I have in Bella is not installed in the original location so can’t say for sure.

The counter to Tony’s argument depends on your usage. The tankless heater means you never run out of water. Not an issue if you don’t shower etc onboard but if your hot water usage is heavy then certainly worthwhile.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
They are designed to be direct replacements but the one I have in Bella is not installed in the original location so can’t say for sure.

The counter to Tony’s argument depends on your usage. The tankless heater means you never run out of water. Not an issue if you don’t shower etc onboard but if your hot water usage is heavy then certainly worthwhile.
Okay....if you're hooked up; if you 're boondocking with a grey tank capacity of 25 gallons; not so much. Naval showers are order of the day.[emoji1]

BTW Just replaced my 50 gallon water heater in my house with a Takagi tankless water heater.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Sounds like a tankless in series with a standard may be the ultimate setup.
SpiceStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I think the ultimate would be a tank heated from the engine to give that flexibility but then a tankless heater.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
I was all sold on tankless, but the one we got had a new tanked, and I'm pleasant surprised by it

No engine heat, but if I flip gas and electric both on, I've taken a half hour shower before. It wasn't scalding, and the water pressure was pretty low, but it was OK. Even with just electric, the wife and I shower back to back no problem. Having experienced it, I don't think I would go tankless.

That said, depends on your use case. If you are primarily a full hookups user, tankless is the way to go. My favorite places haven't been full hookups