Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
325 new windsheild install

hey,
So today I spent most of the day putting on my 2 inch black stripes on the roof. There's a secret to this procedure, but I don't know it. They came out alright.
So now my son is here, so I ask him if he would help me loosen up my windsheilds so we can put the new ones in one day. Well, we decided to go for it. Both left and right sides. Olds ones out, clean channels, spray some sparkle glass cleaner in channel for lube, new ones in both sides. Total time. 40 minutes. It's a total piece of cake you guys.
Tools needed.
A little wire brush to clean channels
Sparkle window cleaner
Bicycle tire remover, they come in a set of three. They're plastic. Look like little spoons. Perfect for getting the rubber around the glass edge.
A locking rubber tool, or a screen rubber edge tool looks like a double ended roller. One roller has a groove, the other is a round edged roller.

Here's the secret to our windsheilds. You install them from the top.
Get the glas in the center upper middle .
Push the glass toward the middle,and pop the upper outside corner in its channel.
Now two people can do this super easy. Now, your holding the bottom of the glass up, one guy massages the rubber down the center , while the other guy is working on the outside and bottom rubber.
As you are working around the outside edge toward the middle , keep a little pressure on the glass and give it a little push up and I toward the middle of the windsheild.
The last area of rubber that will be a little tricky, is the lower center corner. It's not hard to get the glass in nor even scary to do. You just work together and slowly pull the rubber corner back,and pop, it'll go in, and your done. Window in. It took us 10 minutes to do the second window.
Tomorrow, I'll get the locking channel in and put a bead od urethane caulk under the edge.
I'm not kidding, this is silly easy to do. I would have taken a video, but it was getting dark. And frankly, it's so simple you really don't need a video to do it. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
How about some pictures .
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey Bob,
I was going to take a video of the whole thing, but it went so fast and easy, we were done before my other son woke up from his midday snooze (third shifting it). Getting out the old windsheilds was more work than getting the new ones in. To get the old ones out, push on the bottom outside, where the glass starts it curve. Have your helper holding the glass as it comes out of the channel. Then just kinda pull down and toward the outside of the coach. The glass will come out totally easy. Anybody need two windsheilds that aren't broken, they're de laminating pretty bad. Dr side is the worst. Pass side, not to bad. Very usable. If you got stock windsheilds, this may be a good fit. They're kind of brown on the top. My new ones are very blue/green, so I had replace both. It would look to weird looking out the windshield. It's not worth shipping them , to expensive. You can have one or both FREE.. There's a old work, we seldom hear anymore. Don't be afraid of this job at all. I'd do this one on the side of the road. Like changing a tire. DJ
Old 05-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
Here's an interesting twist to my windsheild adventure. The pass side top right at the bend has a 1/4 inch gap between the rubber and the glass. I thought, the glass is wrong. Then I looked again, and compared the tops left and right. The pas side is higher. So I cut the caulk from the body to rubber. Went to about 7 inches from the center, pulled the rubber down, perfect fit. When I got the unit, it had a ton of silicone on the upper corner of the pass side windsheild. A leak I suspect from day one. Maybe only a drip, but that may be an airstream mfging flaw. Drivers side fit perfectly. These were the original windsheilds. So if you. Got this same issue, maybe you got to little rubber around the glass edge. The big side of the rubber, that's against the body has a solid 3/4 of an inch. So pulling it down a little is not going to be an issue. Another airstream mystery solved. DJ
Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Pull them back out and make a video; people pull tires off needlessly for videos all the time..... lmao. When searched on YouTube you will be the airstream king when it comes to windsheild replacement
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
Oh no, you never temp the glass gods. Once you get them in, you cross yourself, throw some holy water at the windsheild, and pronounce it...good. Now I will say this, if you want me to help you with yours, I can do that. . My and Grospolutor have a date to do his windsheilds, maybe he'll be so kind,as to make a video. Really, it is really easy. I don't like glass, it is very unforgiving, but this was a piece of double chocolate cake. DJ
Old 05-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
Anybody want my old windsheild. Dr side is junk. Pas side has a little de laminating . But it's a very usable piece of glass. Top is brown, like stock ones that get old. My new ones are very blue/green. No chips no scratches, it's a pretty clean glass. Hate to throw this one out. Let me know soon ok? DJ
Old 06-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
Nobody inquired about my offer for my old windsheilds, so I junked them. DJ
Old 05-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
windshield

Dave,

Where did you purchase your windshield, I need a DR side for an 87" 325?
realpank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
High Sky RV Parts . com has both RH and LH available. Be sitting down, over 1k and that is before you pay for shipping charges! They also show the seal available at almost 400!
1982 310 MoHo (Sold! New home, NYC.)
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Toad, 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey.
Sorry for the delay I'm an over the road trucker
Anyway. I got them from coach glass out of Oregon they have a warehouse in Elkhart in. You can pick them up at the Elkhart place if the ship them to you it s expensive like 250.00 oh suggestion. Do both glasses unless the other side is new old glass gets a brown tinted. The new glass is blue green just a suggestion if you go all out and do both. If your rubber is good ei the corners aren t all cracked leave the rubber in the frame of the unit. That channel rubber you pull out is kinda like a laying down d. The new stuff looks like a y the leg of the y pushes down into the rubber more you get a tighter seal especially on those lower outside corners . Order 35 feet of the new locking rubber when you get the glass replace all the locking rubber around the whole windshield if you are close to Milwaukee I'll give you a hand it's super easy DJ