Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

325 Classic Windows

I am going to do a "Plexiglass" retrofit of the passenger side fixed cockpit window. I have been unable to locate an OEM replacement, and pretty much need to have a window there. So, it's going to be acrylic.

This brings me to the question, has anyone here ever actually replace one of these windows. Does the frame need to be de-riveted to put the new pane in position? Or is there another simpler way?

Ready to cut!

Chris
morlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I am pretty certain that the entire frame needs to come out but i think Andy at Inland RV has the answer youre looking for.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Retro-fit, re-manufacture, overcome, adapt! Meh... Made a window out of acrylic. Curved with a heat gun. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1404920701.006972.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	799.6 KB
ID:	216016

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 24' Argosy 24
Arlington , Indiana
Great job Morlach, did you wind up removing the window frame or were you able to flex the acrylic window enough to fit into the frame??
Old 07-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

A little bit if both actually. I removed the vertical support from the frame, leaving the main frame in place. I was able to flex the already curved plexiglass just enough get it in and then tap it a little to seat it into the front channel. Then I reinstalled the vertical support - drilled, tapped and screwed into place.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 24' Argosy 24
Arlington , Indiana
Did you use Plexiglass or Lexan and what was the thickness? I plan on doing the same thing to my Argosy. The stationary window on the driver side behind my couch needs to be replaced. Did the heat distort the clearness of the material?

Thanks for your input... once again nice job.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Acrylic, but I think lexan might be better - if you can bend it. I just picked up a sheet at Lowes. 3/16 inch thickness. The heat did not cloud it at all, and the curve did not change the optical neutrality either. Visually, you can't tell it from the other side's glass window.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by morlach View Post
... I removed the vertical support from the frame...
I'd definitely like to know how you accomplished this task!

Quote:
...Then I reinstalled the vertical support - drilled, tapped and screwed into place.
And this one as well

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 24' Argosy 24
Arlington , Indiana
Congrats Morlach, I thought that this could be done. I will let you know how mine comes out. Not sure how quick I can get to it, but definitely on my short list.

Thanks for the response,
Old 07-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I'd definitely like to know how you accomplished this task!

And this one as well

Brad

The vertical support channel is held in place by a screw into either end. The screws are not accessible without taking the whole window frame from the opening. Basically, I broken it - I used a small chisel to break the screws. I removed the screw ends from the rectangular tabs on the ends of the support. Reinstallation was done by pressing the vertical support channel onto the new window. This leaves the tabs at the ends of the support down in the upper and lower channels. With the support in place I drilled holes through the frame and into the tabs. I tapped the hole and inserted screws to secure the support back in place.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by morlach View Post
The vertical support channel is held in place by a screw into either end. The screws are not accessible without taking the whole window frame from the opening. Basically, I broken it - I used a small chisel to break the screws. I removed the screw ends from the rectangular tabs on the ends of the support. Reinstallation was done by pressing the vertical support channel onto the new window. This leaves the tabs at the ends of the support down in the upper and lower channels. With the support in place I drilled holes through the frame and into the tabs. I tapped the hole and inserted screws to secure the support back in place.

Thanks, your approach makes sense. I've removed the cockpit window assemblies from a 345 that I dismantled which is when I found the two screws top and bottom. From what I remember the screws weren't all that big so using a chisel is a good approach. Beats taking the entire window assembly out.

Thanks for the info.

brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote