Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Post Falls , Idaho
310 Motorhome Rear Wheel Removal

I need to remove both right side rear wheels on my 1983 310 motorhome. I've never pulled dual wheels before. Is there anything that needs to be done other than the usual safety precautions. It looks pretty staightforward - Block opposite side tires, Jack wheels off ground, Support Frame, Remove Lug Nuts and Pull both wheels.

Thanks in advance for help on this.
steveturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Thats about it. Going back with the wheels pay attention to where the valve stems are so you can air up the back tires. I would make sure emergency brake is on besides blocking and verify its in park. I haven't done it in years
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Try to lift at the axle. If you jack the frame forward you will get a tremendous amount of flex, really jambs the door. You are better off aft of the axle if you have to jack on the frame. A bottle jack under the spring between the u-bolts works best and only raise enough to barely get the tires in the air. They are heavy and no need to have to lift or lower them any farther than necessary once you get the lug nuts off. Going back on make sure to torque the lug nuts evenly.

Have fun, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I used the built in jacks, lifted about 1 inch short of lifting off, put stands under frame, then used portable hydraulic jack to jack axle, that way tires were still on ground when I loosened the lugs, found an easy way to remove loosened nuts by using small electric drill. Wheel was never actually lifted by me, once nuts were off, used jack to get clearance and managed to wiggle wheels off.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Just never work under or in the wheel wells with mh lifted on leveling jacks only! I almost did once. Discovered before I lost my head that the front jack releases some when the engine is started. Probably some bad wiring somewhere. I'm used to it now but it scares the heck out of others.