Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

310 Isuzu Diesel Starting

The 310 has been sitting outside in 20 degree weather for a few days till I get a space for it in the barn. So far it's started fine at 35 without using the glow plugs. I do not have an engine manual. What's the procedure for starting it with the glow plugs????

I'm use to starting diesel locomotives, just put the ether to them and crank. They always start!!!!

Thanks

Gary Greenwood
Leslie, MI
24 degrees outside now.
gcgreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Do you have a block heater or a water heater that circulates the warm coolant? Is so, plug it in the night before. Depress the glow plug button and hold it in for thirty seconds or more and then release it and crank the engine. Should start.
I have never used either on mine.

Oh yeah. Don't goose the engine til its had time to warm up. Good way to score piston cylanders.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you use the ether, don't use the glow plugs. If it won't start using only the glow plugs, spray WD40 into the air intake, cycle the glow plugs, and crank. The WD40 combusts more easily than #2 diesel fuel, but is not explosive like ether. I'll repeat the caution about not revving or loading the engine before it's warmed up, you'll probably gall the piston skirts.
BTW, I've got a 251 that won't start with ether, but I think it's got a main generator short. Cranks very slow, even with jumper cables.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Below 40 degrees,hold the glow plug button down for at least 30 seconds, you should not not have a fuel problem at that temp., but it is possible. Remember, you need all three batteries to fire that bad boy, especially in cold weather. She should fire at once. A little black smoke on starting and grey until it get's
heated up is normal at low temps. As stated, keep the revs below 1k.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have never used the glow plugs to start the engine. We do have a block heater for sub-zero temps but when I forget to plug that in the engine still will start at first crank.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I have never used the glow plugs to start the engine. We do have a block heater for sub-zero temps but when I forget to plug that in the engine still will start at first crank.
I think it's better to use the glow plugs to heat up the injectors, first.
How do you know what # your mo/ho is? I'd be curious what #
Bess" is.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote