Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
310 interior mods feedback

Ok you classic owners, im kicking around some ideas on interior mods and here is one im thinking of. Taking out the front couch seat, back and upper frame, leaving the bottom frame and 3 door storage compartments. Then decking the top of the storage frame with plywood or ? And adding 2 reclining bucket seats on top of the deck. Build an armrest/drinkholder in between the two seats and possibly another armrest attached to the side of the sink base. I would try to find high quality auto salvage seats with forward/back slide attached. Maybe swivel but not a must. We are not worried about losing the additional sleeping space.
The couch just isnt comfortable and i think recliners is the way to go. If i did this, i would still have use of the two outside storage doors and space. I dont think i could add free standing recliners on the opposite wall from the couch and still have adequate isle space.

1. What do y'all think in general about the idea, unforseen problems?
2. What would you use for the deck material on top of the exsisting storage compartment frame. (Im thinking 3/4 finished one side plywood of some type)?
3. Do you have any recommendations on make/model/year of high quality auto seats that would fit the bill for comfort? Definately want seats that recline.

Hopefully i could mount the seats in a manner that when slid forward they would allow room for some decent recline. Also, i would add two foot stools/seating on opposite wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	216302  
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
One concern i do have is seat height, but until i get some idea on what seat i may use, its kin of hard to get an estimate. Standard seating height is between 16 and 18 inches i do believe.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I think you will find seat height to be a problem, as you already noted. In addition, although auto seats are comfortable as they are designed and installed, many if not most are actually very narrow, have no arms on them (or only one) and are not a good substitute for what you think of as a home stile reclining chair substitute.

So, look very carefully at what you propose to get and think about the project a lot. It is not an easy peasy change out if you want more comfort.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Definitely, more comfortable seating/lounging is the main objective here. Might not be able to find auto seats that would meet that objective. I am trying not to lose the use of those two outside compartments. Another idea is to remove the couch completely, add a boxed in storage accessible from the outside compartment doors, then add outlets and possibly cable to that same wall for audio/visual stuff, then on the opposite wall add two free standing recliners with footrest attached. That would probably be much easier. Thanks as always for the feedback idroba. Still kicking this around in my head. We hope to be living 4 to 6 months per year in the 310 so im shooting for "living room" type comfort, or as close as i can get.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Can't remember where I found them, but I found automotive style recliners to take place of my barrel chairs in my 345. Figure once I go full-time in the Airstream, I'll ditch one of the recliners, move the old tv stand to directly behind front passenger seat, giving me plenty of room to recline facing forward. Plans are to fabricate some sort of overhead television bracket mounted to front overhead rib. Keeping sofa means I'll be able to lay flat on sofa, or use recliner and still have the ability to have seating for more than 2 folks.

Of course, losing barrel chairs means I've lost 2 seats with seat-belts, but don't plan on using motorhome as a people mover anyhow.

I'll post pix when I get that far. Here is link for captains chairs. Shipping is free at the moment. I really liked appearance and quality. Plus, seller had great eBay rating.
ER6 Tan or Black Swivel Seat Recliner Captains Chair Game Room Theater Man Cave | eBay
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks crazeevw, im still kicking all this around in my head. I need to take some measurements and lay it out on paper. Ive been looking at the euro recliners and i like the style, have yet to get to a supplier to actually sit in any. The thing i like about reusing some auto/van type seating is the ability to slide forward to recline and then back out of the way. I was thinking that there might be some out there out of a high end full sized suv or something....Escalade or some other model. But, if i were to use the couch frame as my base i may be just too high for seating.

Soooooo.....i will keep mulling this over. Ive got about 24 months before lynn (my wife) retires and thats when we will be using the 310 for more extended periods of time on the road. Hopefully winters in Mexico and summers in Colorado. I want to get the lounge area as comfy as possible. We also dont intend to be traveling with passengers very often so really not concerned about the seat belts. Thanks for the feed back!!