Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
310/345 dash top removal

I need to run a wiring harness from the passenger seat side pocket where the cigarette lighter is all the way over to the drivers seat side pocket where the cigarette lighter is. I'm looking for guidance on how to get the plastic dash cover off so I can get access to that area.

Any one been down that road and if so do you remember how you did it?!

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
It might be easier from the bottom. I've had the dash off, both side panels down to the fiberglass insulation, and all the little plastic woodgrain panels around the cockpit. But if I was running wires from one lighter to the other, I'd pull the carpeted kick panel off in front of the passenger seat. It is screwed down, the screws are at the corners buried in the carpet. With that off you have great access to the dash underside.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Buckwheat, thanks for the info.

I'll do some poking around this weekend and see if I can run something from underneath the dash. I guess if it wasn't difficult it wouldn't be any fun, right?

Thanks,

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
A non conducting plumber's or electrical snake would be the easiest, once you get it across attach wire and pull it back. I had the good fortune of having a tv in center console out so enough room to put an arm in part way on each side. Lots of stuff in the way and metal would be a problem unless you disconnect all electric and batteries.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Brad, I think your fun is going to be in reaching the cigarette lighters. It has been over 5 years since I had the cockpit side panels off so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think you have to pull them off to get to where the lighter wiring passes into the dash area. A few screws and rivets will let you take the panels off but some of the rivets are under the glued-on plastic woodgrain panels. Since you have a 345 for parting out, it might be worth using it for a little exploratory discovery.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Buckwheat, it was a real pain pulling the side panels in the 345. They were riveted, glued AND stapled in place. I'm hoping on the 310 I can just loosen the top and pull it back enough to snake the wires in to the dash. Weather is turning cold after Sunday so Monday I'll probably turn the furnace on in the 310 and see if I can get access.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
After all that trouble pulling the panels, did it look like it was a necessity to get to the cigarette lighter wiring? If the wires go into and behind the panels, through the insulation, and maybe even a grommet on their way to the dash area, snaking with fish wire may not be an option. For all the amenities these classics have, they are sometimes a real pain to do what should be a simple job, like running a wire from one side panel to the other.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
A non conducting plumber's or electrical snake would be the easiest, once you get it across attach wire and pull it back. I had the good fortune of having a tv in center console out so enough room to put an arm in part way on each side. Lots of stuff in the way and metal would be a problem unless you disconnect all electric and batteries.
Dave,

I don't have a non-conducting snake, just a normal electricians wire snake but when I'm working in the dash area I disconnect all of the batteries. When I was a LOT younger I never disconnected batteries when I worked on wiring...until I melted a wire that is

Brad
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
After all that trouble pulling the panels, did it look like it was a necessity to get to the cigarette lighter wiring? If the wires go into and behind the panels, through the insulation, and maybe even a grommet on their way to the dash area, snaking with fish wire may not be an option.
After looking things over this weekend I "think" by pulling the front cover to the A/C evaporator I can get access to the passenger side wall panel. I'm sure it will take a little maneuvering but I think it's doable. I'm sure it will be tight as I'm trying to feed a bundle of 5 wires for the new remote mirrors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	84-310-ac-front-access.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	177173

Quote:
For all the amenities these classics have, they are sometimes a real pain to do what should be a simple job, like running a wire from one side panel to the other.
You got that right!

Brad
Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #10

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Antonio , Texas
Brad,

I'm also in the process of replacing my mirrors on a 1991 300 LE Classic, any pointers would help. I haven't started tearing into it yet, but the replacement mirrors should be in the mail soon.

Appreciate any assistance.

Mike Miller
texasbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrewer View Post
Brad,

I'm also in the process of replacing my mirrors on a 1991 300 LE Classic, any pointers would help. I haven't started tearing into it yet, but the replacement mirrors should be in the mail soon.

Appreciate any assistance.

Mike Miller
Mike,

The easiest way to route the wires is to drill an appropriate sized hole through both the outer and inner skins. They don't necessarily have to be in line with each other. The hole through the inner skin needs be accessible through one of the openings in the plastic side panel (which is where you would be drilling the hole through the inner skin).

Basically the wire gets routed though the outer skin, in through the hole in the inner skin which brings into the cavity created by the plastic side panel. Once inside the side panel you route it up to the upper right corner of the dash. By pulling the A/C evaporator/blower cover you can access the dash area. From there it's pretty straight forward running a cable across the dash.

Hope this helps.

By the way, welcome to Airforums!

Brad
Old 02-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Lake Luzerne , New York
Hello Texasbrewer!
I see you have a 1991 Classic 300 LE, which now makes 3 that are on the Forum. I have one in upstate NY but currently in Florida for the winter, and another fellow in SF CA also has one. Welcome. How long have you had your motorhome? Was unable to find your email address to contact you directly, but you can reach me from my profile. Happy motoring! Jim
ADK Jim is offline   Reply With Quote