Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Tampa , Florida
2 Tire Explosions Today

Just a short 25 mile 1 day vacation over to Ft DeSoto Park FL and blew 2 tires on our way back this morning. I knew I needed tires but didnt think 25 miles would result in 2 blown tires and sheet metal damage.
First tire the tread came apart on left rear inner then blew out. So i decided to drive the last 3 or 4 miles to the house at 15 to 20MPH when all of a sudden I head what sounded like a bomb. The left front tire blew out and ripped the sheet metal clear off onto the other side of the road. The tire didn't even loose any tread, just the sidewall blew.
Almost in tears when I seen the damage.
Was going to start polishing next few weeks now that the summer heat has passed us.
I am usually quite picky about age of tires.. just 25 miles should be ok til I get some new tires... yeah right.
Viesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We had a similar experience with the trailer seven or years ago. We had one blowout on the highway. We put the spare on and continued on the the nearest town of any size (about 100 miles, this was in Wyoming). As we rolled into the tire store, another tire blew. Needlesss to say, we replaced all four tires and the spare.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just curious here, but do you know how old the tires were?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Tampa , Florida
Yikes, I read the DOT date wrong. I thought these tires were week 52, year 2002 but it actually reads week 52 of 1992. Has 3 digit code instead of 4 digit, so that means pre 2000/ DOT...522. Correct me if I am wrong.

Previous Airstream motor home I bought a couple years ago had only 15k original miles with original tires from 1981 and drove it from Central KY all the way to Tampa FL. Blew one in Jax FL and the second 100 feet from my drive way. But with no damage.
Never again will I risk that. So not worth the damage and frustration.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viesel View Post
First tire the tread came apart on left rear inner then blew out. So i decided to drive the last 3 or 4 miles to the house at 15 to 20MPH when all of a sudden I head what sounded like a bomb. The left front tire blew out a
Lucky that you were only doing 20 mph, left front would have pulled you into oncoming traffic.
Sheet metal can be fixed!
Rear could also take out the plumbing so you came out with least damage possible.
I too was aware of need to change tires and thought slow easy would not have problem, wrong.
If it wasn't inner rear I would suspect sun damage plus age.
Did you check tire pressure before starting trip?
First thing manufacturers ask and claim owners don't maintain tires!
I knew mine were old and at right pressure, blew due to age and carcass separation.
Good Luck on finding quality replacements, and hopefully an easy repair.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Yikes, sorry to hear of the misfortune, but glad to hear that it didn't happen on the Howard Franklin!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
wow, even 2002 would still be quite old! But 92?! do they not have dry rot?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I had the tread come off a rear tire while going 70 mph in an Allegro MH of year past. Took the black water valve off and pulled the generator exhaust/muffler up over the doubles. Was a read chore to get it untangled on the side of I-35 in north Texas. Bought 6 tires in Ft. Worth. Glued the valve back on with PVC cement and fiberglass cloth. Lasted for year w/o leaking. Replaced the muffler/exhaust.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Man, I'm rethinking my tires condition……Glad you're okay and all, but a pair of underpants.

What does anyone think of these bad boys? Not Michies or Goodies but made in Japan by a company that owns Dunlop and Continental I think. Great price

$250.99 - Sumitomo 8/R19.5 5530045 tires at SimpleTire.com
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Man, I'm rethinking my tires condition……Glad you're okay and all, but a pair of underpants. What does anyone think of these bad boys? Not Michies or Goodies but made in Japan by a company that owns Dunlop and Continental I think. Great price $250.99 - Sumitomo 8/R19.5 5530045 tires at SimpleTire.com
I replaced all six with Sumitomo 718 (225/70R19.5) in august of 2011. I've put 6000 miles on them. I'm happy with them.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Tampa , Florida
Found 8r19.5 Samson tires for 178.00 mounted balanced stems tax and disposal fee.
Was considering the 225/70R19.5 as they are a few dollars less. How are the 225/70R19.5 tires. Any issues? I am sure smaller diameter tires will reduce max highway speed a couple mph. Not a big deal but I would think to achieve 60mph the eng is going to have to scream a little more rpm since the tires are not as tall.
Looking to get something this week for it. Its sitting in the driveway now with the left rear inner tire blown out, the left front (spare) flat, holds air for about 2 hours, leaks thru the side walls, and bubble developing on right rear outer as its sitting there. I guess the few miles of driving took a huge toll on these dry rotted bombs. I am planning to deflate remove and take the tires to the shop for new ones.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viesel View Post
Found 8r19.5 Samson tires for 178.00 mounted balanced stems tax and disposal fee. Was considering the 225/70R19.5 as they are a few dollars less. How are the 225/70R19.5 tires. Any issues? I am sure smaller diameter tires will reduce max highway speed a couple mph. Not a big deal but I would think to achieve 60mph the eng is going to have to scream a little more rpm since the tires are not as tall. Looking to get something this week for it. Its sitting in the driveway now with the left rear inner tire blown out, the left front (spare) flat, holds air for about 2 hours, leaks thru the side walls, and bubble developing on right rear outer as its sitting there. I guess the few miles of driving took a huge toll on these dry rotted bombs. I am planning to deflate remove and take the tires to the shop for new ones.
I can only speak for myself, I've had no issues with the 225's. Fit rims fine, spacing between duals is more then enough and the ride is good. I can't speak for tag axles, I don't have one. As an engineer, I've not even been tempted to get out my "slide rule" to calculate what little difference there may be in engine rpm. I do fine going down the highway at 60. In fact my speedometer is dead on when comparing it with two gps units! I went with the 225's since it was difficult finding stock tire size. I have no complaints.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I have a set of Sumitomo's on a car we have. They are V rated sport tires. Definitely not as performance oriented as Michelin or Yokohama's, but reliable and trouble free, and reasonably priced.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Tampa , Florida
I took off the tires yesterday, 3 at a time, didnt want the entire airstream sitting on jack stands, so I did the right side first. I found the right inner had already lost chunks of tread and had large bubble, so I deflated them took them down to the tire shop. Then did the left side.

Lot of work, but I was NOT going to drive it with 1 ripped apart, one not holding air leaking thru the sidewalls, and 1 with a bubble.

So here is what I got.

6- Hercules S-209, 8r 19.5
Build Date all were 25th week 2013

$1091 mounted balanced stems disposal and tax.

He told me he sells a lot of these for trucks and motor homes. There was another MH there getting a set as well, of course different size. I snooped around the side of the building and sure enough there was a large box truck with a set that was just installed as well.

Well I guess time will tell. Even if they wear out fast, I will never put enough miles on them before they get too old and needs replacing anyways. Therefore I should be good to go.

Took for a test drive today and seems to be nice and smooth.

So NOW I am a Happy Camper... except I got to go get new batteries now, someone stole them thanksgiving eve. Tired of swapping them out from my truck. Should have known when all the dogs were barking at the window at 1am.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I had a similar situation on my 92LY except mine were only 8 years old. I blew a curb side front tire doing about 65mph. Damage was minimal thankfully. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...ut-111965.html

I ended up purchasing 8 of the Samson 8r19.5 from a company called Simpletire.com. Good service and less expensive then tirerack. They were having a black Friday 5% off sale so I took advantage of that. I'm now in the process of mounting them 2 at a time. So far the fronts and one set of duals have been replaced. Still need to do the other side duals and then the tags. Weather and time are the limiting factors.

Ended up paying just under $1200 for the tires delivered and another $120 to have the old ones dismounted and the new tires mounted. Add another $120 for the dyno-beads in each tire and that totals $1440.00 for the complete set of 8 tires replaced. Every tire had a date code that was equal to or later then 3013 (week 30 of year 2013).
92landyacht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Tampa , Florida
I remember reading your thread... Sound like you got good price on tires too. Glad you had minimal damage. Mine is really not as bad as it looks in the pic. I removed the molding and took it with me so I could later slowly straighten iit out and the panel missing was found across the street in the median in some bushes and it was still in perfect shape. So mine should be fairly easy to repair.
Drove it today about 60 miles and tires were smooth.