Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
1995 36' Classic 36
Ambler , Pennsylvania
1995 classic 36 diesel pusher general information request

I am currently in the process of fixing odds and ends of basic must do stuff like a new kwikee step, heater core, bath power vent replacement etc on coach. The wife is dreaming up plans for new interior decoration which I will get to in good time but for now I want to deal with safety , reliability and be sure it is water tight.
I am seeking any sage advice which the forum members have regarding any quirks or things to keep an eye on with the Cummins 230 hp 12 valve 5.9 liter engine and the Allison 6 speed transmission.
My only diesel experience has been with newer Ford Powerstroke diesel and Yanmar marine diesels of 2000 vintage.
Any anecdotes of personal experience with the Cummins / Allison combo would be greatly appreciated.
As the 1995 diesel pusher uses the Spartan chassis , I would also appreciate any forum members comments on the things to be aware of that can go bump in the night if not caught by routine inspection.
Speaking of things that go bump, any suggestions on how to improve the ride quality. Having just made the trip from Hartford (84) to Scranton to Harrisburg (81) to Philly ( Pa Tpk) . I swear that is the Ho Chi Mhin trail. Definitely new shocks are in the picture but which mfg is best for a 20 k GVW ??? This baby rides like a half track.
Fuel consumption seems ok . Carefully measured at the fill neck on two legs of the trip 250 mi and 350 mi I got 12.4 mpg. Actually better than my truck pulling out 27 ft Safari.
I need to find the spare wheel crank rod for this coach. PO didn't have it. I had six new G rated Goodyear tires put on before the trip home . The air breaks take a little getting used to but seemed to work fine and no air leaks. Any experience with this break systems would also be much appreciated.
Safe driving to all
rw1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I've found that everything on it is fairly simple and straight forward if you approach it one system at a time. I'm a stickler for preventative maintenance. So far we've had about 20,000 miles of trouble free adventures.

I would do a thorough flush of the cooling system and replace the hoses and serp belt. Mine were pretty rotten after nearly 20 years.

The disk brakes are easy visually inspect. I would flush new fluid through them. There is a large spin on air drier canister under the rear right side. That should be replaced at the recommended interval. Open the valves on the bottom of the air tanks and make sure no water has condensed in them.

The front hubs are lubricated with gear lube. Drain them in a clean white pan and look for and metal chips. I use Amsoil synthetic to refill them.

Carefully read the operating/driving instructions that Spartan provides.

There is a pre-filter and electric purge pump right in front of the air drier. Clean it and replace the o ring.

Clean the battery terminals.

Regular service of the air filter is a must. These pump a lot of ail through these engines and the intake is at the dusty end of the vehicle. Be carefully not to let any dirt get past the filter or you will end up with impact damage to the turbine wheel and possible cylinder damage. I have to remove the entire air-filter canister to properly service mine.

The ride! Mine had new Bilstein shocks on it when I bought it. New Goodyear took a lot of harshness out of the ride. I run 95 psi. The ride is pretty much in line with all motorhomes of the era that were built on these leaf spring truck/industrial chassis. Someday I will convert mine to Reyco Granning air ride which was an option at the time. Not a project weak of heart or wallet.

Feel free to call or email.

Dave....
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I know nothing about motorhomes, however I know the 5.9 Cummins has mechanical valve lifters, and the valves need adjustment periodically. Don't know the interval, but I'd definitely look that up, and stay on top of it. The Allison transmission, if it's like the one used in the GM trucks, has an external spin-on oil filter that needs to be changed when the engine oil gets changed.

Good luck with your motorhome.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I know nothing about motorhomes, however I know the 5.9 Cummins has mechanical valve lifters, and the valves need adjustment periodically. Don't know the interval, but I'd definitely look that up, and stay on top of it. The Allison transmission, if it's like the one used in the GM trucks, has an external spin-on oil filter that needs to be changed when the engine oil gets changed. Good luck with your motorhome.
The transmission is an Allison MD3060. The filters are under bolt on covers. I'm going to take mine in to get it flushed and serviced with Allison synthetic.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote