Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
1993 Classic Motorhome advice

Hi all,

I'm considering moving from a trailer to a motorhome. Currently I have a 1989 25' Excella. While poking around looking to see what is available I ran into a "1993 Classic" on RVTrader Online; here is the link:

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/caddet...5/82401215.htm

What is this thing? Is it basically a newer version of say a 345? Or is it more like a Land Yacht model? Are there reasons to avoid these? Any advice would be appreciated. I love the weird look of these things, but I don't want to blunder into something. Thanks!
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer
...What is this thing? Is it basically a newer version of say a 345?
Yes - most recent issue of the AS "Classic" MH - P-30 based Chassis.

See more info here:

http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/

Many thanks and Karma to "Fred" for maintaining the above-linked site.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
its a 360. It would be a newer P - chassis chevrolet powered big boy. Does not mention miles on it, but the price seems fair if they are not too high, and of course if the inside and systems are ok....
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Looks like a very nice unit. The price seemed very fair. What are the miles? What you have here is probably the most updated of all the classic that will ever be built. Still has the classic look, all aluminum with rivets. I would jump on it if the miles are decent and the condition matches the picture. Is the dealer offering any sort of warranty?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Several thoughts...Can someone in Floriday volunteer to go and check out this unit? That might save a trip. Need to know the mileage, and wonder why it's not posted with the sale info. Finally, if cooling my fairly "open front" '89 370 is a challenge, how well do these newer fronts do since they appear to have even less air intake than the older models? Not knocking the units, they may be perfectly good. How about some input from someone who has that year/style?

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Dealer says it sold - anyone on here buy it?

Dropped the dealer an email asking for more pictures, got a reply that it is sold.

Anyone here buy it? Would still love to see more of the inside.
John
shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
John. Do not give up there are more classics out there for sale. Go to Fred's page and study up on the floor plans and the interior shots so next time you will know more about the model. I searched almost a year before we found Chummy.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
John. Do not give up there are more classics out there for sale. Go to Fred's page and study up on the floor plans and the interior shots so next time you will know more about the model. I searched almost a year before we found Chummy.
John,

I completely agree with Chaplain Kent. Fred's site has loads of info on years, models, floor plans, history, etc., and even includes units for sale. On some of the floor plan years you can even click on and view the layouts. I sent Fred the entire sales brochure for 1989, for example, so anyone can view the floor plans, standard features, lengths, engines, and even options. By studying that type of material you can not only decide what fits your needs, but eliminate what you don't want to look at. My only advice would be that no matter which you buy, you are looking at some "fix-up" as part of the deal. Only you can determine what you are willing and able ($) to tackle. Ultimately, however, I think if you really want a used motorhome at a reasonable price that will last and you will love - you will probably find that in one of the classic Airtreams.

Many Forum members are glad to go and check out a unit for you if it's too far for you to reasonably travel. That would at least give you the advantage of a current MoHo owner's opinion of any unit you are considering. Just click on a member's Forum name and look at their profile. It will tell you if they are willing to go "preview" coaches you are interested in, and how far they are willing to travel doing that.

Best, and keep us posted.

Tim
Old 01-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Just to clarify, I enquired with the dealer for pictures more out of curiousity. I already have an 85 345 (and love it !), and unlike my Austin minis (I own five) I don't think my wife will tolerate multiple motorhome's in my vehicle collection!

I checked to see if I could assist Musketeer with his inquiry at the top of the thread and to learn a bit more for a future "upgrade" possibility if I tire of the 345!

John
shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadejo
Just to clarify, I enquired with the dealer for pictures more out of curiousity. I already have an 85 345 (and love it !), and unlike my Austin minis (I own five) I don't think my wife will tolerate multiple motorhome's in my vehicle collection!

I checked to see if I could assist Musketeer with his inquiry at the top of the thread and to learn a bit more for a future "upgrade" possibility if I tire of the 345!

John
Thanks for the clarification. If I tire of my 89 370, maybe you could "upgrade" to that! Not very likely, however . I don't have any other collections like you, unless you count about 40 plastic "California Raisins" as a collection . Besides, my wife isn't as tolerant of multiple vehicles as yours apparently is . In fact, I'm not sure how you "upgrade" from one of these Classics anyway . (I would like to see your collection of minis. Sounds interesting.)
Old 01-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
gotta love those minis! I have for many years. although the closest I came was my Morris Minor that I had..slowest car I have ever driven.
I love the old minis and kinda like the new ones too even if they are similiar in name only.
My dream is to get a trailer to tow my old 911 behind the AS...someday I will, after my 2 boys are too old to travel with us.One will be 18 next week, so one to go.....
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Jose , California
1993 Airstream Sold on eBay - Here's a Link

I too have been considering buying a 360 and considered this unit. Here's the link from eBay if you want to take a look at some more pictures. It sold for $16,555.55. I didn't think that it would go for so low a price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-...rdZ1#mainImage

However, I am on the West coast and could not take a look at it. I called the lister and was told that the rust underneath was "usual", but worried about what "usual" was from a Florida perspective. I could see some rust on the retractable step in the photo, but it probably was just surface rust. Also, the commercial use concerned me. I noticed that it had latches added to the hood, all awning hardware removed and a chunk out of the lower right front bumper. The body seemed pretty good with the biggest dent appearing in the right rear corner above the bumper - at least from photos. Still, though, what a great price! Perhaps I was too conservative in not buying without seeing. I have three kids, so one of these big boys would do the job for me. I think that they are cool! Also, I am not sure that one should favor any one of the years 1993 - 1995 over the other, with the exception of getting the Vortec engine in perhaps 1995? Or, if you can afford it, the Diesel version Any advice you have on buying one of these 360s would be great. Thanks, Steve
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Given te number of unknowns on that coach I am not surprised on the price.

"A/C works but may need a shot of freon"
"Appliances not tested but look great"
"May have an exhaust leak"
"..stickers removed but will buff out with a little elbow grease"
"the exterior looks good but needs a good wax and buff"

From what I could see a good wax and buff is an understatement. No mention if plumbing systems are good, no mention on state of electrical system, no mention on leaks though it is obvious the rear window is leaking.

No awning, and lots of questions. And that was just a quick look through the pictures. If you are looking for a big project then you will have found it with that coach.
Honkity Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I was a steady auction watcher on that coach too- but what worried me was the fact it was a repo, and that it was owned by a company that used it prior to that. Still could have been a terrific deal at that price..I just could not get down there to look at it in time to make an honest bid.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #15
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
My dream is to get a trailer to tow my old 911 behind the AS...someday I will, after my 2 boys are too old to travel with us.One will be 18 next week, so one to go.....
I inherited a 1074 Corvette (bright Red of course) several years ago from my Son-in-law. He had to sell it because my Daughter wanted to buy a house and instructed him to GET RID OF IT!! He asked me to buy it and keep it in the family so I did.

I have on occassion towed it behind my 345 on a dolly (with front protection of course). I even towed it to my class reunion once. You should see the double takes people do when we cruise through a town. I almost think they hurt their necks. It is a GOOOD Feeling!!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
Thanks!

Thanks to all for your replies and advice. Maybe this one is gone, but another will come along and I'm better informed as time passes. I still have work to do on my trailer before it can be sold, so there isn't a big hurry.
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #17

bullhead city , Arizona
hi you all seem to know a great deal reg 28-34' airstreams. my wile and i are looking to get one to travel in. we are true newbys so all and any help is great. Brad sent pic of a 28' in Phoenix that i will call on but there arer lots of good looking ones as well on Fred's site. Jeanne will retire from sp ed teaching in May and I retired in Jan.08 after 40years of Sp education work from Ill.to
wisconsin then texas to Az where we are now. 125 in the sum is too warm and little or no green grass. anyway $ is a little tightas we will have only my soc sec anda small teacher pension yes even after all those years in ed it just isn't that easy to save,but both kids are set and grandkids love birthdays and christmas. teacher talk too much even retired ones so thanks for the info on you site.
tim tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim tierney View Post
28-34' airstreams. my wile and i are looking to get one to travel in.
If you're going to just travel from your homebase, a 28' would be perfect, although the rear bath arrangement leaves something to be desired. If you could find a diesel, so much the better; they get 15 mpg.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote